You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Inn

Real Ghost Stories

The Inn

 

I began working at The Inn shortly after I started my first year in college. Not the stereotypical college student, I did not enroll for my first semester until eleven years after graduating high school and needed to supplement my income with numerous forms of part-time employment. While patronizing the restaurant I learned about the owners' need for servers when I asked their daughter if there were any openings. She told me that I should speak to her father. Rick was the chef who owned the restaurant with his wife Eileen. I met with Rick later that day and he agreed to hire me as a waiter.

The Inn was an old wooden structure built around 1850. It has been called by many names in its lifetime, through dozens of ownerships. It was located at the intersection of two major state routes in a small community in upstate New York and was immediately adjacent to the original Erie Canal, the state's first means of statewide shipping and commerce. The canal and its coinciding oxen roads and mule towpaths, have been designated as a state park and will forever be preserved as an embodiment of the historic commercial connection between rural New York communities and the outside world. It is said that people who live near the old canal will sometimes hear shouts and voices and will see lantern lights moving down the canal at night; likely residual energy of the men and women who made their living steering the boats and guiding the barges through the narrow man-made waterway.

The Inn was a small, intimate restaurant which served remarkably delectable meals in a casual setting; and under the ownership of Rick and Eileen was quite popular. The location of the restaurant was crucial in its success. The intersection at which it sat made it highly convenient for its patrons to travel to, and first time visitors were rarely sent away less than thoroughly impressed. Unfortunately, the roads leading to the intersection were both marked as fifty-five mile per hour roads, and the intersection was the location of several fatal traffic accidents. In my five years of employment at The Inn, I learned it to be a fun social experience for its patrons, and an active portal for the dead.

The boy, as I was told, was only fourteen years old. He had just bought his first snowmobile and was riding it home from its previous owner's home when he failed to slow down for the guardrails at the end of the canal's towpath. His parents were following him on an adjacent roadway in their car and were two of the first people at the accident scene. I was not working that night, but our hostess told me how she ran to the scene with tablecloths and linen to help keep the boy warm until emergency crews arrived. The linen only served as a minute comfort for the boy's parents; to relieve them of the sight of their son's broken body. Most of the times that I saw him, he was standing next to the guard rails, or sitting on them, his coat ripped and shredded; his head misshapen and bloody. One night, I saw him inside the restaurant after hours, standing at the picture window staring at the accident site. He would always look at me, but we would barely make eye contact before he would turn and walk away. He never tried to speak to me. He was around The Inn for about two months before he disappeared and I assume he eventually went to the light.

The man was in his mid-twenties. One Sunday afternoon that I was not working, I decided to have dinner at the Inn. The man had tried to bypass stopped traffic at the intersection, ironically in a rush to get to his brother who had just been admitted to the hospital. The sound of the crash startled everyone in the dining room, and I looked out the window just in time to see the man's body flying through the air, propelled through the passenger window of the car he was driving, out onto the asphalt.

I grabbed linen from the place we stored it and rushed outside. The man lived for several minutes while I sat with him... Although we had never met, had never spoke, and the eventual outcome was immediately apparent when I saw him; I decided then and there that he should not be allowed to die alone. Smoke from the twisted vehicles unmercifully enveloped us as we waited for help and he struggled to breathe his last breaths. A co-worker came up behind me as I knelt with the man, offering to attempt CPR. I hurried her away before she could see that his chest cavity was no longer intact for such an attempt. I returned to him and moments later could feel someone else over my shoulder. As I turned, what had to be his identical twin brother stood staring and stoic behind me. "Were you in the car with him?" I asked. No response. I turned back to the man on the ground, "If they get here soon, he might make it". His laughter will haunt me to this day, not because it seemed so harsh and inappropriate; but because when I turned to question his brother on what basis laughter seemed merited, he was gone.

After the emergency crew arrived on scene, I walked to the restaurant and washed. Rick met me outside the restroom and asked me if I was alright. Although I do not know how I represented that I was, my heart was beating through my chest and my temples were throbbing, he thanked me for what I had done and walked back to the kitchen.

The next time I saw the man was about two weeks after the accident, he was in the basement of the restaurant. I had gone down to the walk-in freezer to retrieve some food items and when I turned around to walk out, he was peering around the open door of the freezer, smiling... Almost as if he were pretending that he was going to close the door behind me. For almost six months, nearly every time that I would enter the basement I would sense him. On at least two occasions I could smell the accident. He seemed to get delight out of unnerving me. He would often shift or tip boxes of supplies as I was heading for the stairs. Even though I attempted to make contact with him several times when I was in the basement, he never talked to me before he crossed over.

There was one place in the basement that always made me very uneasy. It was a dark corner near an old cistern. The cistern was covered and had been unused for decades. The owners stored bottled beverages for restocking the bar in this area. I could never leave the spot without feeling a headache coming on and always had the sensation of a gentle breeze, even though there was no ductwork or opening that would have allowed for one.

One afternoon, I arrived at the restaurant a few minutes late for my shift. As luck would have it, several patrons were already seated at the tables and the only other server working was running around trying to cover until I arrived. I hurried into the kitchen to punch my timecard. Rick walked out from behind the shelves that blocked the view of his grill. "How's it going, Rick?" He turned toward me as he walked to the basement door and glared the most hateful, unblinking, blood-shot stare... I froze in my tracks. "Well this is going to be fun", I thought, as I watched him storm down the stairs. I punched my timecard and turned back away from the basement toward the dining room just in time to see Rick entering the kitchen, still in his coat and boots. "Sorry I'm late, do we have any orders up yet?" he asked. My mouth dropped open and I could not speak. Rick smiled and was about to ask me what was wrong when a loud crash that shook the entire building emanated from the basement. It felt and sounded like the entire building was falling in on itself for about five seconds. Rick ran past me into the basement, and I somehow summoned the courage to follow him. We looked for several minutes and found nothing. I went upstairs to the dining room and assured the customers, some of which had stood to leave, that everything was alright. Although all of them stayed, almost half of them complained of stomach or headaches before they left. Later that night when the customers were gone, Rick spent hours trying to find out the source of the sound... He never found it. No customers ever complained of feeling ill after that night.

That night was when I realized the presence of the portal. The existence and the hesitancy of the boy and the man were understandable; it was the location of their untimely deaths. The thing that took Rick's form showed me that the door swings both ways between our world and the spirit world and if we do not protect ourselves, we will not have control when evil walks through that doorway.

Other hauntings by LouSlips

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LouSlips, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-09-20)
Excellent story, you write so well. How long did you work at the Inn? It makes sense to me there would be portal in a structure built so long ago. How tragic for those who lost their lives there. You were so kind to help. I'm not always sure how we can protect ourselves from evil, I just pray. ❤ Thank you for sharing.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
Brilliant detail, loved your story. Feel so sorry for the two who lost their lives, creeped out by the spirit peeping at you and playing tricks, frightened of the old cistern-reminding me of the basement in Home Alone somehow 😆, and compassion and inspiration from your great amount of bravery ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
O my word, what an experience! Your stories is definitely one of the most interesting, intriguing stories I've ever heard! You tell it like I almost feel like if it is happening to me 😐
I've seen my share in my lifetime, but this would have scared me to tears! And I am not a scared person... 😨
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
I continue reading your stories and I am always left with chills and a little sadness over how touching these stories are. I continue to think about them hours after reading them. Once again well written and thank you for sharing this incredible story.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
Loganz_sis,
I know what you mean. This one gave me shivers down the spine. There are just some stories that stick to you, this is another of my all time faves.

Jav 😊
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
Thanks Jav... For pointing this one out!
Lou...wow what a story, it is incredible how much power a place can hold.
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Thank you for sharing this with us, its one of most intresting accounts I've read, really makes you stop and think, you writte very well. I hope you continue to share these stories with us!.

Take care and May God be with you. ❤
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
WOW! Another great story - I would have been scared out of my wits. When I saw my ghost I did not realize she was a ghost until afterward - I don't know if I could handle knowing I'm actually looking at a ghost as you did. I have had some interesting things happen to me - and have been called brave. But I really don't consider myself brave and really don't want to test those waters. LOL
There are a lot of good stories on this site and your story is one of the best. Thank you for sharing - this one is going on my fave list.
Rashidah (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-27)
This was a great story. Thank you for sharing ❤ it.
Cool abilities
garbagegigo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
great story and good for you for not getting scared! Though I wonder what the bang and the whole building shaking was? What has that kind of power to shake an entire building?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
Tigerlily,
I can only guess about why the customers felt ill... Maybe it was the effect of the opening/use of the portal, maybe it was the entity and the anger it appeared to be displaying...heck, maybe it was the clam chowder... I really don't know. I do feel it was connected to the entity I saw that night... It had never happened before, nor did it happen after, to my knowledge.
Thanks for reading.
Lou
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-09-10)
Wow, amazing story.
The way you write makes me feel as though I am there too. 😳 Some of those experiences must have been frightening.
Did you ever find out why most of the customers felt ill? Do you think the spirit that took Rick's form caused it? 😕

God Bless.
celtcharm (29 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
LouSlips, Thanks for shareing another great experience. I've enjoyed all 3 of your stories. They're so well written with such good detail, it's easy to imagine what you were experienceing at the time.
I hope you share more experiences with us! Peace, Celtcharm 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+3
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
good story. I find it odd that people who have died outside on the street would be seen inside the restaurant, possibly a place they had never been before. As for the weird, "evil" Rick, I really don't know what to think of that.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
LouSlips, thanks for getting back to me on the details. The dining/entertainment function of the inn, its close proximity to water, and your strong reaction to a subterranean cistern remind me of the much touted case at Bobby Mackey's Music World in Wilder, Kentucky. This place has received so much publicity I am a bit wary of the motives of Bobby Mackey, but there are certainly parallels to your experience at the inn. I don't know if this recent interview with Bobby Mackey is still available.

Http://www.prlog.org/10219381-bobby-mackey-owner-of-bobby-mackeys-music-world-to-discuss-its-haunted-history.html
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Well gilie you are right ghost can't hurt you unless they are evil entities. Thank you for posting your stories. You're right because that location has had numurous deaths incidents it seems some of the spirits are either trapped or angry of maybe undone business. Maybe they were ready to go just yet and don't want to go to the light. Your statement with regards to the door of the unknown is so true. I believe science is what keeps us proctect of the unbelievable however once we as people experience and acknowledge it there is when we can get in danger with evil enteties because they feed of our carma of fear. I believe our fear give them more strength so instead of being scared find out how we can help them cross over to the light.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Hi, I relly liked your story. That must be scary to see that many ghost nearly everyday. I don't know about the Rich guy, sorry. UH, to tell you if your wondering. Ghost can't hurt you.
Well that's all I have to say.
GIRLIE 😁
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Lisa66,
You are welcome. Rest assured, Luke is at peace, you made the right choice.

:) Lou
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Kecoughtan,
I do not know if the cistern contained water, I always presumed it did, but I never saw it uncovered. I believe that it was related to, if not the portal itself. I could not be within ten feet of it without a headache developing...skull-splitting headache.

Lou
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
I've read many accounts on this site and have to tell you Lou, those are some of the more eerier stories/experiences that I've read about. Crazy, crazy... Thanks for sharing.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Thanks for sharing another fascinating experience, LouSlips. Located at the crossroads and the canal! The things that the inn must have endured over the years is mind-boggling. Do you think the cistern is essential to all the activity? Do you know if the cistern was still retained water when you worked at the inn or was it dry?
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Lou, when you described the loud crash in the basement, I was thinking maybe a methane gas pocket (exploded). You might be right though, a portal being forced open or slamming shut. Great story.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Hi, Tonith.
As far as evil spirits taking over the spirit of good people, I unfortunately have been witness to this... Not full possession, but definetly evil attachments. If your reference was to what I saw in the kitchen of the Inn. I originally thought it was angry at me, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the being that presented itself as Rick and gave me the evil glare, ran to the basement because it sensed that the real Rick had arrived at the building.

Lou
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
I don't know if I would want to be you with your abilities. That had to be unnerving to say the least. I think when people die violently and quickly their essence may have trouble catching up to what happened to their bodies. Some may not realize they are dead. Why they end up at the Inn is the odd part. Because its the closest physical building to the scene of the accidents? Possibly. I don't believe in demons or evil spirits taking over the spirit of good people to frightened others who are among the living but then again I didn't experience what you did so who am I to judge your encounter? Obviously something is happening at that Inn that either has to do with what happened near it or what was always there which only some can see or feel.
SpiritMagnet (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Thank you very much Lou, I will do that. I ride motorcycles a lot out that way, so any excuse to get out is appreciated.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
SpiritMagnet,
Thanks. Durhamville. It is just outside the City of Oneida heading towards Rome, NY. The intersection is state Rtes. 13 and 46, and the canal is just across Rte. 46 (east) from the restaurant.
If you live in the area or decide to take a field trip, step off the north side of Rte 13 next to the canal and put your hand on the towpath barrier guardrail. From your profile I can tell you will have a reaction; unless it has been replaced. I will warn you now though, it will not be a particularly pleasant experience.
God bless,
Lou
SpiritMagnet (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
GREAT description. What town was the Inn located in? I live on part of the canal so I am very interested...
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
oh oh ok. Sorry for my confusion (I'm not alert until I've had my morning coffee). If I were you, I would certainly be interested in returning to the Inn. If nothing else a good meal?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
Hobbyholly,
The "twin" did not walk away or leave the scene... He was the disembodied spirit of the man on the ground. I asked my co-worker who watched the entire scene from the restaurant if she had seen him, but even before I asked, I knew her answer. She did see me talking to him, though... She just never saw him.
Last I knew the Inn has changed hands again and has been renovated... I would be interested in what the activity level was during or after renovation.
Thanks for reading,
Lou
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
How odd about the "identical twin" like man. Did he stay on the scene? Was he questioned by paramedics or police?

Regardless, very interesting story. Is the Inn still around?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: