You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Attack on my Auditory Senses

Real Ghost Stories

Attack on my Auditory Senses

 

In 2003 I had a girlfriend who had just moved into a manufactured house. I pretty much lived with her. My life was miserable at the time (just to add). As the weeks went by she told me that she thought that the house was haunted, that she kept hearing noises and seeing things out the corner of her eyes. I just chalked it all up to her over active imagination. As more weeks went by I started to believe what she was saying. The house just seemed like it was somewhat active. I too was hearing these noises at night and seeing things in my peripheral vision, more so then at my parents house or just most anywhere else.

But yet I was still skeptical until a series of 3 nights, all 3 nights in a row. It wasn't unusual for me to stay with her 4 and 5 nights in a row but something was different about these 3 nights. We headed for bed around 10:00PM on a Tuesday night. For some reason this night, I was having trouble sleeping, my girl was asleep in minutes. At around 11:00PM I began to hear a very faint but strange noise. It sounded as if someone was slamming a very big metal door shut and open shut and open over and over again. You know like one of those big dungeon doors from an old medieval castle. Not unlike someone smashing a sledge hammer against a steel beam. Very strange I thought but very faint, as if in the distance. I tried to ignore it but it wouldn't go away and as the time was passing it was slowly getting louder as if it was approaching me or something. About an hour passed and I was relieved that it went away. I told my girlfriend about it the next morning but she had heard nothing. Wednesday evening more of the same, we went to sleep around 10:00 PM but yet I still found it hard to sleep and the noise persisted this night too but was noticebly louder than the night before. I even awoke my girlfriend to ask her if she could hear this strange sound and she looked astonished, she had no clue what I was talking about. I was thinking that I was starting to go crazy or something. It was strange because the noise only persisted with my eyes closed and would slowly get louder and dissipate within about an hour. I thought maybe it was all some weird dream or something, I didn't know what to think.

Then came Thursday evening as we were heading for bed I became sort of apprehensive about trying to sleep but I went along to bed anyways with my girl. Around the same time as the nights before. At first I was relieved that this night seemed quiet. But then it started, this night was different then the first two. The noised started significantly louder this time. The noise pierced my ears. The noise was so loud that it made my whole head physically rattle everytime it repeated itself. This time I opened my eyes and the noise continued louder and louder. My ears began to hurt very intensely with each clash of metal. How could this be I thought, how could she still be sleeping, it's as loud as a freight train. Then I looked out her bedroom door and froze solid. The noise seized. What looked like a small human figure. More of a black mist seemed to dissipate. I woke my girlfriend and explained to her what happened. She looked at me like I was nuts. She had heard nothing.

After this night I never experienced anything like this again at her house. Something about those 3 nights was not right. I know a couple of things though. I wasn't dreaming, that noise actually caused me physical pain (in my ears), something was in the doorway of her room, I never again doubted her when she said she saw or heard something. For the rest of my life I will never forget those 3 nights.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

AnnaPossumPoe (7 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
That sounds JUST LIKE Edgar Allen Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher". You should check it out! The banging, the dungeon door, the figure... Wow!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
Here's an idea. Perhaps your girlfriend did not need to hear the banging as she had already concluded that there was something in the house with her. Maybe this black mist was only trying to convince you of it's validity. It could happen, how else can we explain the fact that some people hear ghosts, some do not? Why do others see ghosts while others do not? I'm not saying this is what the noise was all about, just offering a different view than what I saw posted here. Thanks for the story.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-01)
Bellissima, there sure are weird stuff going on in that middle state 😉 I've heard my name, screams, bangs, explosions, gun shots, music... One time I could hear the radio next to me while it was off! But I think the bang one can be the most unsettling.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
Martin- I have heard that so many times! A bang or, for example, just this very day, I heard a voice, a woman's voice just jabbering on and on. The bang I figured to be just my body letting go, but today the voice(first time ever!) was so insistant and constant. It was so different from anything else. I was just dozing and suddenly I just became aware of it and woke up. It was kind of ringing in my ears but I couldn't figure out what it was about. I believe I'm sensitive so I really didn't know what to think of the voice. It was very different from the bangs(which aren't that frequent anyway) It pretty much freaked me out.
alexis (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-11-13)
wow great story cant wait to read more
brittany (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2006-10-30)
ok what if it was like someone next door doing somthing i mean you never really got up to see what was going on around the house, or to see where the noise was coming from. The strange thing is why do you think your girlfriend didnt here this noise that what scares me. Do you think you were seeing thing in the door way because you were hearing strange noise are was there really someone there. I am confuse on this one are you lieing?????
New Jerzee devil (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2006-10-26)
True, david and martin!.Being sick is openings for hallucinations to some but "they" are really there!Especially within those who have epilepsy.David, twenty first century or 20 a.d just because it isn't medieval times and things are modern you figure there is a better explanation for things ,maybe so but the 1970's is when demonic energy was really strong and into the the early 80's.Just because you don't here about strange events on the news or in the papers today, dosen't mean that things don't still happen!.I'm from the city with the most paranormal activity,that still takes place to this day-Chicago.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2006-10-25)
I experienced something similar when I was very young. One night I got very sick and had fever, and I could hear noises, faint at first, but it progressively became very loud and aggressive, like if I was under attack. I wonder if there's a correlation with your ghost experience. Maybe it's just a mechanical sound of some force trying to connect between two different planes.

I know for example that sometimes, when I'm on the verge of falling asleep, I can hear a loud bang, and it is said that this sound is the start of separation between the astral body and the physical body.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: