You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: 15 Years of Terror

Real Ghost Stories

15 Years of Terror

 

When I was 8 years old my Mom and Dad purchased a home located in Burlingame, California. They got a great deal on the house and were thrilled at its location, and the town.

I recall the first time I entered the house I said to my Mom "It is so dark in here." My Mother reassured me that with a little paint and new drapes it would be bright and sunny. I think that the darkness I noticed wasn't just because of the dark walls and drapes, there was something much darker hidden in the seams of the house. This darkness didn't stay hidden for long.

Before we moved our belongings into the home my Dad, and one of his friends, Dick, went to the house to refinish the hardwood floors. They were in for a challenging set of experiences. When they turned on the sander the radio would blast, when they turned off the radio the light would go on. Then the electricity would shut off. They checked the fuses, but none of them were burned out.

My Dad called the power company, the man who came out said there was nothing wrong with the connection from the power pole to the house. He told my Dad that he needed to call an electrician. The electrician witnessed the strange and inexplicable relation between unrelated switches and the response from remote locations throughout the house. The electrician told my Dad that the entire house needed to be rewired.

To their surprise after this announcement all the electrical appliances and lights worked as expected. All returned to normal operation at that time. This stunt repeated many times over the years. We just had to wait it out because there was nothing wrong with the fuses, fuse box, the connection to the power pole. There was no technical explanation. I will say that being in a totally dark house due to the actions of invisible intruders was quite terrifying. We were at their mercy, and they had little to no mercy.

After we moved into the house we immediately noted that at times it sounded as if someone was walking across the floor, or there would be what sounded like knocking on various doors throughout the house. The back door would open and slam closed, which would be followed by what sounded like footsteps coming up the stairs.

My parents explained to me that these sounds were the sounds of the house settling. Often when I went to bed at night I would hear heavy breathing right by my face. My parents told me this was what the water heater sounded like at night when it was heating the water.

I would hear my Mother call, and when I answered she would say she did not call me, and visa versa.

I often found long auburn hairs in my bedroom. I couldn't figure this out. I didn't know anyone with auburn hair.

My parents became acquainted with the next door neighbors. They commented to Mom and Dad that they hoped that they lived there longer than other people that had moved in. The house had always been sold, never rented, but it was rare for any family to live there more than 3 months. The neighbors had lived next door for over 20 years.

There were times when I woke up with someone holding on to my ankles and pulling me off the end of the bed. This terrified me. When I told my parents they assured me that I was only having a nightmare.

I woke up in the mornings to find pieces clipped from my hair. This left short jagged pieces I couldn't style. My Mom told me this was from the pin curls I used.

One afternoon I was in my bedroom and couldn't shake the feeling that someone was staring at me. This gave me the creeps, so I decided to go out to the living room. In that I felt so uneasy, I stepped down on the first step in front of the door and reached around the corner to turn off the light. When I turned off the light I saw a young woman sitting on the bed right next to where I had been sitting. She had long auburn hair. She was transparent. I didn't believe in ghosts. My parents had told me over and over again there was no such thing. Now I was faced with the terrifying reality of a ghost sitting on my bed.

I ran to the front bathroom, slammed and locked the door. Then it dawned on me that if she was a ghost and what they say about ghosts was true she could walk through the wall and I would be locked inside with her. I unlocked the door and ran to the living room in the front of the house.

In the morning I told my parents about my experience. They exchanged glances and then they told me that they knew that the house was haunted. The ghost I described to them is the one they called "Florence." It took them about 3 years to believe the house was haunted. They didn't believe it until they had exhausted themselves by sneaking through the house trying to find the intruders making all the noises, and never finding anything. Then one night when they had just gotten into bed, turned off the lights, and above the end of their bed were two floating heads staring at them.

They both saw these apparitions, and could not deny what they saw.

This put them on a trek of using an Ouija board to try to communicate with the ghosts. Knowing what I do now about the response to this board by earth bound spirits I am certain this practice only made things worse. There were many ghosts. I only saw two fully manifest apparitions, but my parents saw and experienced many more. I saw "things" but only 2 specific ones.

It was a common experience to see items, such as books, fly across the room. One time my Mom was taking a nap on the couch in the living room. The couch seemed to be shaking. She opened her eyes to discover that the couch was being transported by floating across the room with her on top of it.

One could explain doors opening and closing by themselves being due to not being latched properly and a breeze caused it to open and close. This explanation could not be applied to the sliding door between the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. This sliding door often slammed open or closed. This was very unsettling.

Quite a few times my parents came into my room in the middle of the night to see why I was screaming. I was not aware of screaming. As far as I knew I was sound asleep. They would describe the screaming as if I had "seen bloody heads rolling across the floor."

There were times my parents acted out of character. They would be much harsher than one would expect.

Shortly before my Mom passed away she told me that the change of life made her "strange." I asked her what she meant and she told me that one time she was chatting across the picket fence with our elderly neighbor. She said that it took all her strength to force herself to go back into our house without attacking and strangling the neighbor. I told her, "Mom, that wasn't the change of life - it was the ghosts. The ghosts made them say and do things that were out of character. I could see "it" in their eyes and their mannerisms - that they were "different", not themselves.

I experienced times when I was attacked, pushed, and man-handled by the ghosts. I told my parents, and they told me that I was letting my imagination run away with me.

Their invalidation of my experiences made life very difficult for me as there was no where to turn for help.

Family and friends that visited were often treated to a ghost experience from simple footsteps and door knocking to having their blankets pulled off of them in the middle of the night by unseen hands.

One time my Aunt was at our house for my birthday party. It was too late for her to drive all the way home, but she didn't want to sleep in the house. She slept out in our travel trailer with my teenage slumber party.

One time we were watching television when Hans Holzer and Sybil Leek were visiting San Francisco. They were ghost hunters. They announced that if anyone thought their house was haunted that they would be glad to come out and get rid of the ghosts. I begged my parents to call them. They didn't want to because they didn't want anyone in the area to know the house was haunted. They said that when they sold the house that such information would prevent them from getting a good price. I was so hopeful and then crestfallen.

When my parents retired and put the house on the market the ghosts became especially active. We had occupied the house for 15 years, and I think the ghosts were pretty happy with the arrangement.

He told my Mom that he wanted to move into the travel trailer so they didn't have to be concerned with constantly cleaning and preparing for the stream of realtors streaming through the house with potential buyers.

Then one morning my Dad announced that he was lowering the price on the house by a considerable amount. We all tried to discourage him from doing so since they were counting on the profit from the sale to buy retirement property and perhaps build a home. He wouldn't listen to our arguments.

The house sold that day.

Mom and I were sitting in the kitchen while Dad walked the new owners out to their car. Mom and I heard the back door open and slam closed. We heard footsteps coming up the back steps. We got up together and looked down the hall to the stairway. We could still hear the footsteps ascending the stairs, but there was no one to be seen.

After they moved all of their things out of the house, handed over the keys, and had left the property for good, Dad confided why he insisted on moving into the trailer and lowering the price on the house.

The night before they moved out into the trailer my Dad was startled awake by a hand over his mouth and nose. He was being suffocated by the man ghost, who we had come to call Dave.

Dad was a strong guy, but he said that it took all the strength he had to wrestle away from the grip of the ghost.

Dad turned to me an apologized for not believing me.

We heard that the first renter in the house was a minister. I was elated thinking that a minister might pray the ghosts out of the house. The minister moved out almost as soon as he had moved in. After a series of short term renters the house was replaced by an apartment building. Neighbors told my parents that the house had been moved. I don't know if the house was moved, and if it was moved I wondered if the ghosts go with the house or haunt the apartment building built on the site.

I know I would never want to go back and find out for myself.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Rachelvaknin (9 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hello Kathleen,

My name is Rachel, I work for Raw TV. We are currently working on Series 5 of Paranormal Witness. Your story sounds really interesting and I would love to speak to you regarding your experience. In case you haven't seen the series, Paranormal Witness is a drama-documentary where the story is told from the perspective of multiple eyewitnesses - in their own words. It is now one of the highest rating shows on Syfy. For more information please check out syfy's website: http://www.syfy.com/paranormalwitness/

If interested, please email me at: rachel. Vaknin [at] raw.co.uk

Thanks,

Rachel
MyleneAunzo (13 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
Klonnq

What if you'll found out that you'r living in the same lot / Apt. Were the home was first built.

That would freak me out.

God Bless everyone.
DevilishHottie (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-17)
hi! I am an indian... I live in punjab... Actually I have seen this same story on TV... If you want to see it... Please check out this link
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkkYHL6wRho
But it is in hindi... If you can understand then watch...well... It is a litte different...:)
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
This will sound rude, but you were told that you needed to rewire the house and never did? Well, of course that is going to keep happening. There was most likely shorts and literally crossed wires causing the power to surge, ect. You are lucky your house didn't catch fire if the electrician said that it should get rewired and your family didn't do it.

Haywire electrics can also cause paranoia, hallucinations and other such experiences.

I don't mean to be rude, but getting the house rewired may have infinitely helped with this scenario.

I am agreeing with the others. Never use a Ouija board- messing with what is not understood is typically just inviting something bad to happen. It is better to get blessed to whatever your beliefs happen to be than to accidentally make your environment worse.
amberlynn (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
This is definitely a freaky story, but a lot of things didn't make sense to me. For example, I am confused by the timeline. It says that your parents lived there for 15 years, but the story doesn't say when things are happening. Also, after seeing the girl on your bed, your parents admit to knowing the house was haunted. And this was after 3 years. There are points where you state your parents saw many more ghosts than you. But at the end you state your dad apologized for not believing you until then. I believe many things happened, but it just seems like the story is a little confused in how it is written. In any rate, I am glad you were finally given validity by your parents and that you were able to eventually leave without too much damage.
Forgotten_angel (2 stories) (33 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
look. I'm sorry for whatever I said. I was really not... In the right mind set and I didn't mean to flip out, to be honest...___. I was...14-15? I'm now 19 and clearly see how easily I flipped out then.

Anyways ^.^ I hope by-gones can be by-gones. I figure that I shouldn't get offended.
If you ever need to talk, I have an email I use now for that stuff: Jashinist112 [at] gmail.com
Thank you and sorry for flipping ^.^;
-F.A.
ILikeToScareMyself (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-07)
Awww now I'm afraid to leave the corner of my room and eat... But I'm hungry... ARGGG 😨

But it was still pretty good. Your ex-house sounds SUPER creepy. I usually want to see some of the paranormal stuff people talk about in their stories, but that is one house I would NEVER want to check out. I don't think you'll offened since you seem like you hated it. 😁

~ILikeToScareMyself ❤
Phantom380 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-15)
Okay, I read this right before I went to bed and it scared the living daylights out of me! My beachhouse is haunted but there's only one bad ghosts. Your old house sounds like the classic haunted house.

Also I found it rather ironic because when I was little, I found a lock of black hair in my bedroom at the beachhouse and even though my sisters have long, black hair it didn't add up because the house was always so tidy. It turns out, that those hairs belonged to a ghost we call Sarah. So as you can imagine when I read about your experience with the auburn hair, it was like deja vu.
Pradeep (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
Its pretty difficult to convince others about what we have experienced... Your parents took three years to believe you... Hope now that you are free from ghosts...
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. And though I'm sure you realize this now never ever again even allow a Ouija board into your home.

The use of such an object opens up portals to the spirit world and often the things that come through are malevolent.
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
ok I am a little confused, you said earlier in your story (shortly before my mom passed away) but at the end of the story you stated (mom and I were sitting in the kitchen waiting on the new buyers) so am I missing something here I just a little mixed up. Sorry for your loss by the way.
thenpea5 (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-23)
that...was...scary! I'm not easily scared but this one was scary 😨 thank god you guys made it. I hope the spirits are gone now. And I think they're demons
Bonnie_13 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
reminded me of florence and the machine she has auburn hair:) but it's a very interesting story 😊
Charmsdes (8 stories) (20 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
I lived in a haunted house for 33 years and hell I know this feeling. Unfortunately for me no one believed me. I don't know why I could see and sense them and hear them and no one else could. I had the most haunted part of the house.

35 years after the house was built we sold it. It was razed to the ground and 6 row houses have come in its place. A friend of mine who knew what I went through visited the site and said the place still looks cursed and bleak.

I will write about my experiences once new writers are accepted by this site. I wanted to write a book on how to deal with stuff like this but I couldn't without sounding completely insane.

I spoke to my parents about it and one night I got my mom to sleep with me. I could hear the voices and footsteps and my mom saw the fear on my face. She started crying and she was helpless since she couldn't see or hear a thing but she knew they were there.
Ms-Foresight (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-23)
Super creepy! Glad you're okay. I was wondering what you were about the apartments and the house.

Grace 😆
cnothing (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-23)
Wow Awesome Story! One of the best I read on here. I'm glad you guys made it out okay 😊
roates (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
wow! I can't believe you guys put up with all that shiat for so long I am very glad you got out of there!
Cooperdoo (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-14)
I'm glad you got out of there, I am also glad our house isn't as haunted as that. 😜
Necropolis_Seraph (6 stories) (64 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-30)
Really freaky. Good thing you already left that house for good. Good luck the new occupants of the house or the lot though. 😉
bunny (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-29)
I agree Kathleen, that's one of the scariest stories I've ever read. It made me remember thing I had forgot about the haunted house I lived in. We also acted differently and argued a lot (my ex-husband and me). It just now came to my attention that it was probably the ghost's influence.I'm glad you got out of there before anyone was seriously hurt. Most people don't think spirits can harm us, but I disagree.
Afro_nuts (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
I live 10 minutes away from Burlingame CA. I am very curious to see what apartment Building Is now built over that house. How can I Pm Kathleen? Maybe I can get the adress.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Wow, this sounds pretty freaky. I definitely wouldn't want to live there! It's very hard for children when their parents don't believe them on things like this. I feel very bad for you and I hope that in the future, your life will be more pleasant.

Blessings, DA
Cole87 (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Out of all the stories I have read, this one has been the one to truely freak me out. I don't think I would be able to handle an experience like that. I hope everything is going great for you now and that you never have to put up with anything like that again. God Bless! ❤
givemeaname (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
WOW. You were really brave to even stay in that house for 2 seconds. I would be begging to sleep at my friends' houses or finding excuses to hang out with my friends 24/7 just so I didn't have to go in that house. I would have blessed the house or just plain slept outside 'away' from the house at that rate. That is pretty darn scary and I'm glad that you werent badly hurt.
Fallen__Angel (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-22)
This story was really scary. I think the ghosts stayed to haunt the apartments because they usually stay in the same house they died in, unless someone uses an ouija board.
bruwx (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
i can't understand why people use ouija borad to contact spirits, you cant, you only give a portal to more spirits to posses you and haunt your life, you just ask the spirits, if they want to tell you they will just like they appear to you or move your stuff.

Great story, I know how it feels when no one belives you, and entering a haunted house is scary, I can't imagine living in one
againsarahan (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-04)
I don't know what's worse; the haunting, or the unwillingness of your folks to support you or even listen. Especially since they were perfectly aware that these things were really hapening. Actually, I do know what's worse; not being validated or protected in any way by your parents. Maybe they subscribed to the theory that speaking about the ghosts feeds and encourages them to keep acting up. Might have been worth it to you to have a little more activity in exchange for a lot more support.
Grox6 (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
I read this I think a month ago, and it is SO creepy. It was good that you moved. 😐
ozonalions (guest)
-1
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
yep. That is pretty creapy... No no creapy Scary!. That was one of those stories that made my hair stand on end and gave me goosebumps!
Freaky

Lauren ❤ ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
-1
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
After all of your questions, and despite all of the misguided explanations from your parents as to the situation in your home, it still took fifteen years for your Dad to realise that he had something there, and that only happened after something physically happened to him. Isn't that just human nature? I am so sorry that you had to grow up there thinking that you were alone in all of this. I'm glad that you made it out alright and were able to share this tale. Thank you.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: