You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Real Ghost Stories

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

 

So... I have told you all about my childhood home. When I was 16, we made quite a big move to London. (The opposite end of the country, so quite a huge change for all of us.) I hated the house almost instantly.

I put my feelings of uneasiness down to the fact that I have lived in the same house for 16 years, of course I'm going to feel uneasy at a new house! Nothing much seemed to happen there for a while, now and again you would get feelings of being watched, it was certainly a more unpleasant feeling than the previous house, but it seemed to pass as quickly as it had happened.

The area where the house was was quite closed off, you either had quite a walk down to the next road, or there was a shortcut via a small alleyway which led onto a wooded area and THEN the next main road. My sister and I both always rushed through the wooded area and alleyway, as again, you would get this 'watched' feeling.

After a couple of months of living there, I'd notice whenever I was walking alone through the wooded part at night a black cat would follow me. The first time it followed me, it rushed ahead of me, then waited, then rushed ahead again... I thought it had just wandered off, but when I turned onto my street and walked up our garden path, it was sat on our doorstep waiting. At the time, we had a dog, so I eventually had to shoo the cat away before I opened the door. A few minutes later, my Mum looked out of the window and said, 'Your little friend's still there'. The little black cat had been sat across the road watching the house at the time I thought it was rather sweet.

The cat following me between the wooded area and the house became quite a ritual almost every time I was returning to the house and I became pretty fond of him. My parents started to joke, saying maybe he's my familiar, as he literally seemed to appear from nowhere when I was around. If I ever saw him on the street, I would go outside and feed him little tit-bits and he became almost a second pet. Sometimes he'd come in to the back garden and he'd come and sit in the downstairs lounge that we had. (You could shut this room off, so the cat couldn't get any further into the house, and our dog wouldn't be able to get at the cat.)

Quite quickly, the cat changed though. He would come into the house, and instead of getting bored and leaving after half an hour or so as he usually did, he would sit at the inside door waiting to get to the rest of the house. He just sat staring at the door. He was quite a good natured cat, and seemed to like being picked up, so I tried to just pick him up to direct him out of the house, and he ripped up my arms. He then went to just lying at front of the door, staring again. I held out a little food to maybe try and tempt him out of the house and he started to growl, and attacked me again. The second time, I think my scream of shock, in turn shocked him, because he ran out anyway.

I was a little put off him following that, so it was a few days before I let him in again. Anyway, he came in again, and seemed to be behaving quite normally, and all of a sudden again, he did this intent staring at the door. Unfortunately this time, I hadn't shut the door properly as I thought, because a draft caused it to blow open, and he shot up the stairs. I swear it was as if he had been waiting to do that and as if he knew exactly where he was headed for. Fortunately, he couldn't get any further into the house, so had to be content with just staring at a door again. Again, it was impossible to budge him, and he made this little growling noise again. Thankfully, our dog gave him a shock when he came to the door and he shot out of the house.

I shut the doors and figured he would just jump over the fence as normal, but he stayed in the garden sort of stalking the doors, walking past them over and over and sometimes scratching at the glass if I went near it. He went after an hour or so, then that night, he was back again, making his presence known by somehow making a thud at the window. (I suppose maybe he jumped to try the handle, as some cats do?) I opened the curtains to see what this thud was, and it was the cat, and really, for a couple of seconds, it didn't even look like the cat, it's eyes appeared a lot bigger and pretty mean looking, and his general size seemed a little larger. I don't know, that could have been my imagination just down to shock at the cat being there. Eventually, he just started freaking me out to be honest, so I left the room.

Since that, if ever I saw him, he would jump out at me, follow me a little way, and then disappear to wherever. A neighbour did say that no one in the area knows who he belongs to, he's been there as long as she can remember and he seems to get fed by a couple of various people. Anyway, I don't know, this could be just a story detailing the normal nature of a cat, or something a little more eerie. I suppose it depends who reads it. However, his strange behaviour seems to coincide with sinister happenings in the house, which I will go into in my next story.

Other hauntings by xKalmuneiu

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xKalmuneiu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
That is creepy but I would love a cat to fallow me around. It may not have meant to hurt you just someone or something scared.
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Oh yeah Dreamer, I don't deny at all that this story is probably just more of a 'coincidence' that the cat suddenly acted like that. Like I said, I'm sure different people interpret all the stories on here in many different ways.:) But thanks for reading.:)
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-24)
Hello, I agree with nor_cal_girl I have been had a cats all my life too I mean right my cat is lovely and sometimes like devil herself but she like two way good and bad but in her heart she is good cat also We call her cat from hell as a joke but we love her to death and also She do attack me sometimes when she in her mood way. So thanks anyway.
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Tonith, I meant, just for a few seconds it looked a little different. It was the same cat. But as I said, that was probably my imagination due to just being caught off guard, and so my mind played tricks on me etc.:)
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
I have had cats for many years and they can and do get weird at times. However, mine never intentionally scratched or bit me to hurt me. Strays are not always domesticated. Also most cats hate a closed door of anykind. It's possible that the cat you thought you saw that was bigger was not that said cat. Cats are very independent by nature but they will go where they are fed being they won't turn down a free meal. This one may be a little saint and sinner so to speak but like all cats they can be unpredictable at times.
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Thank you for your comments.:)

Nor_Cal_Girl: I truly have no idea. I'm not all -that- used to cats, it's why I pointed out the viewpoint will be different to whoever reads this.:) My parents have got their own cat in the last couple of years, so I've got a little more used to how temperamental they can be.:)

Lenea89: Oh yeah, I do agree animals are a lot more sensitive, but nowhere in the house seemed to particularly worry our pet dog. But yeah, as I said, I don't know if the timing of his behaviour was in any way tied to other happenings in the house, just a cat's nature, or a bit of both.

CutishIvy: To be honest, since all that, I never really saw him all that much. And as far as I know, the only time he got into our house after that was when I wasn't living there and he got into a fight with the cat my parents now have. But I would put that down to both cats being territorial rather than anything weird. 😉
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
that's a very strange cat.
I think maybe I could deal with the "nature" of the cat.
Hehehehe.
Thanks for sharing that story with us.
Will awaits for more details of that cat in your future dealings.
Lenea89 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
What a strange cat. Supposedly animals are very sensitive to paranormal things. Maybe the cat could sense something about your house and wanted to check it out for himself. Or if the cat was attached to you and it did sense something in your house it could of been trying to help you or warn you. But either way that sounds like one creepy cat.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Hi, thanks for sharing,

I don't mean to sound like a skeptic, but I've had cats all of my life and their behavior can get very weird for the weirdest reasons. The cat might have smelled your dog for the first time when he first attacked you, and as for him staring at the doors, cats can be very stubborn when it comes to you trying to stop them from going somewhere. My cat does this all the time when I want her out and she doesn't want to go, and she often even growls at me. Anyway, this could be something completely different, but I just wanted to share what I could.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: