You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Childhood Home

Real Ghost Stories

My Childhood Home

 

I'm new to this site, but I have been reading various stories on it for the past few weeks and thought it would be nice to sign up and start sharing a couple of my own.

From when I was a baby, up to the age of 16, we lived in the same house. This house was an extremely friendly and warm house and any experiences were never threatening. When I was around the ages of 3 or 4, I apparently used to have two 'imaginary friends' that went by the name of Fred and Sheila. I would constantly babble to them, and although I apparently would see them a lot there is only one time that I have a memory of. I was sat in my cot and just can remember them kneeling down beside it and looking in. I don't recall much detail apart from being able to see their eyes.

My mother tells me I would refer to 'Fred and Sheila' quite a lot though, she once even asked me what they look like, and from whatever I said in my childlike way, it seemed to her as if I was describing a gentleman in uniform of some sort and a lady in an outfit from around the '40s. Due to her interest in history/ genealogy, she decided to delve a little into the history of our house and what she found was that there were a couple living in the house during wartimes and the husband was a soldier. I don't recall if she said they were called Fred and Sheila though. So whether I was having contact with past inhabitants, or if I just had a very vivid imagination, I don't know.

During our years in that house, various things would happen. Things going missing and appearing in strange places, sometimes appliances would turn themselves on, you would hear voices, feel people walk past you or enter the room even though you were alone, sometimes feelings of being watched... But nothing ever sinister. Quite often I would get a feeling of being 'chased' up the stairs when no one was behind me, but a friend's Mum suggested this could be a Guardian Angel that I'm sensing and to try and not feel too worried when I feel it behind me. People would comment on what a warm and friendly house it was, and although sometimes I would get a little unnerved by the strange happenings, I was never particularly frightened.

There was one occasion in the attic-room when I thought I saw a very small black mass appear out of one of the cupboards, and there was a certain spot by all of the fireplaces (this was quite an old house, on the three floors, there was a fireplace in the same spot on each floor) that I felt very uncomfortable. Apart from that, any 'strange' happenings didn't really bother any of us.

I'm not sure what was 'haunting' there. I don't think it was any one thing, and certainly nothing that meant us any harm.

My parents' friends live there now, and they've also said they've had a few strange goings on, but nothing to scare them as such. Except for when one of their relatives came to visit and apparently her glass just smashed for no apparent reason. I have only visited there once since we moved away, and to me... It didn't have the same atmosphere. But I suppose that could possibly just be because it wasn't my 'home' anymore.

Other hauntings by xKalmuneiu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xKalmuneiu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
I don't think you felt scared in that house because the spirits meant you no harm. They just didn't understand they were dead and it was no longer thier home anymore.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-25)
HI. I like that story alot. I remeber when I was 6 or 7 or maybe younger, anyway it wasn't to long after a black cat of are's died I think. Mainly sometimes I would s-wa-air that I saw somethng black that looked as big as a cat.
My mom was really in-ter-rest-ed in what I saw, so maybe that didn't died it we probly gave it away.
GIRLIE 😁
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Children can see things adults can't. Guess it's because they are not jaded by logic and preconditioning about such things. Seems like whatever it was it didn't mean any harm. Maybe the couple is still in that house because they refuse to move on. Maybe it was a place where they were once very happy. Hard to say why some spirits refuse to move forward but we have enough haunted houses to know there may be some truth in people refusing to leave this mortal coil.
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Thanks.:) Oh yeah, that feeling is never a nice one. I've only had that feeling once in the house I now live in, but in the house before this, it'd happen an awful lot!
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
I have commented before on that being chased up the stairs feeling and I know what its like. I can never decide if its my imagination or real, but either way, you just feel you have to run. I liked this story and I can relate to these types of experiences.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: