You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Family House

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Family House

 

I have some stories to share, some from me, my father, and my friend (who I did not know lived there until like 3 months ago) who also lived in that house after me, which was the first time someone other than my family owned that house.

My family has owned this house since the late 1800's, it is one of the oldest houses in the city, although now pretty much abandoned, since it is starting to rot and nobody is willing to buy it after the things they hear.

The first person who'd owned it was my great great great grandfather, and then given to my great great grandfather when he passed away, which is where my grandfather grew up in and later my father, his brother, me (Nichole) and my two cousins (I'll call them Marc and Jason since they would not want me using their real names) Lets start with the house now. The house is a 4 level house, basement, middle, upstairs, attic (used as my father and his brother's room when they were kids) The living room was also once used as a funeral parlour, and also, my great grandmother had died in the basement, my great great grandfather in the upstairs master bedroom, everybody else who died had all passed away in a hospital. My grandparents (fathers parents) are still alive now.

Now that you know enough about the house for now, here come the stories. First one was told to me by my father (I never asked my grandparents if anything had happened to them, which I will maybe post if I find out anything). My father told me once he was in his bedroom in the attic playing around with his toy cars (he was 10 at the time, his brother 9), everyone else was outside when he started hearing like someone throwing around books down the attic stairway, which leads into my great grandmothers old room. He went down the stairs to check, and there were books torn up all over the floor. He went downstairs and ran outside and asked if anyone had come inside, but they were all across the street talking to neighbours. So he went back in and brushed it off and went to watch TV in the living room then in the corner of his eye, he saw a silhouette of what looked like his great grandfather sitting in the old rocker he used to sit in when he was alive smoking an old pipe. He got the guts to walk up to the chair and see if he was seeing things, as soon as he got up the silhouette disappeared as quickly as it appeared. After that day he said strange or unexplainable things would happen in the house.

Now for something that happened to me. After my great grandmother and my great grandfather had passed away and my father/mother/uncle/aunt/cousins and I moved in with my grandparents, everything seemed normal, until a day when everyone was out except my grand father, my cousins and I. I was only 8 at the time, as was my cousin Jason, my cousin Marc was about 12. We were all in the backyard, when I heard what sounded like a rock falling from the roof, which drew my eyes to the kitchen window. Upon looking I saw a shadow, which looked like an old man passing by the window, I made a really loud squeaking noise since it startled me and I thought someone had broken in. I screamed at my cousins and they looked over and saw anything. I told my cousin Marc to go check it out, he would not go in without us, and so we all went in to check. When we got in, there were 4/5 plates smashed on the floor, which was weird since we hadn't heard anything and the kitchen window had been open. We asked my grandfather if he had heard/seen anything in the house, he said no, he was reading the newspaper. We got really freaked out and ran outside and didn't go back in there all day. (More stuff has happened to me, but it would take forever to write down, this was the creepiest thing that has happened so I wrote this one down)

Now for what happened to my friend. My friend (call her Jenica) had lived there for two years about two years ago. WHICH I mentioned her and her family were the firsts to live there other than my family. She slept in the downstairs room, which was my great grandmothers room before she died in the basement doing laundry, the door that lead to the basement was IN that room. She said the first couple months were quite peaceful, until that one day she started hearing weird noises from the basement door, so she put her dresser in front of it, the door was said to rattle sometimes. Sometimes things would move without being touched. Strange things like that kept happening until one day, something was said to push her brother down the stairs and they would see apparitions of what they said appeared to be in the shape of people in old clothes from the early 1900's. They got tired of the paranormal (?) things happening and sold the house. Which was then bought by a couple and then sold about 5 months later because they said they were experiencing things too.

Now the house is just sitting there abandoned. They want to tear it down, but everybody just wants it to stay there, since it's pretty much a historic house to the people in the neighbourhood since it was the very first house with electricity in town since my great great grandfather was an electrician. So hoping someone can buy it and fix it up.

Every time I pass by that old house, I still feel like my deceased family is watching over me and sometimes when I am closer to the house, It seems that I hear my great grandmother saying "Bonjour ma Cherie!" (Hello my dear!) Like she used to say whenever I would visit and I always get a feeling of comfort (yes, I was brought up in a French family. And just to mention, I am currently 14, and writing all this brought a tear to my eye). May they all R.I.P.

I hope you like my stories.

Bless you all.

If I left out any information, or anything you want to know or I mis-spelt something, feel free to write it down. I will reply.

- Nichole

Other hauntings by NicholeNightmare

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NicholeNightmare, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NicholeNightmare (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-30)
KimSouthO,
Thank you for reading my story! 😊

Tonith,
Im not so sure how old my old house is, but it is probably as old as the one you live in. I'm sure it is atleast 130 years old. Attics have always given me the creeps. Thank you for sharing your experiences.😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
I live in a 123 year old house that was the first of it's kind on my block back in 1886. It's an old victorian that was the first built here while there was still horse and buggies. I have had a few experiences here but chalked them up to whatever. Nothing concrete has ever happened outside of being tapped 3 times on the shoulder while up in the attic in broad daylight and sometimes the sound of something big hitting the floor only to find nothing out of place. I don't know if this is all residual but sounds like what you experienced may be the same.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us! It sounds like a wonderful home that was (and possibly still is) filled with a lot of energy and love. I would assume with so many generations growing up, raising a family and passing on in the home there would be a lot of residual and possibly intelligent energy. I have no doubt that as you pass by the house and possibly during other times as well your family that has gone on before you are wishing you well and watching over you.

God Bless!
NicholeNightmare (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-27)
OH, I just thought of something I left out when my friend Jenica lived there.
She said she was in the attic, the attic had a little room/closet type thing which was never used and was sealed over with wallpaper, it was just randomly likr, there.
One day, her father went to the attic to store some stuff since it was not used as a bedroom anymore, and something drew him to that door, which now had these weird tears in them. No one had went up there because they always kept the door to the attic locked and everybody was too scared to go up there. Anyway, he went to the door and tore the rest of the wallpaper to see what was behind it (he didn't know about the door until he tore down the wallpaper) he opened the door and looked inside with a flashlight he happened to find in one of the boxes he had up there, and in the far back of the little closet was a doll rocking chair with one of those creepy porcelain dolls sitting in it (I asked my father to see if anybody could have put it there, but he said it had always been sealed up. No one has any idea how it could have gotten in there) He said when he saw that it gave him a really creepy feeling and he just left it there.
😨 I felt really creeped out when she told me that!
NicholeNightmare (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
CutishIvy,

Thank you for liking these stories.
Yes, it is very creepy.

And to answer that, no, we did not have it blessed. All of my great grandparents were very sweet loving people, although my great grandmother died of illness in the basement doing laundry one night when I was 6.

I think they were just keeping an eye on the people living in the house and trying to make us realize they were here and keeping us safe. I might post some more things that have happened soon.

- Nichole 😊
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-25)
love your story. Hope to hear more about that place. It's a creepy house. Have your family ever blessed the house or the poeple who lived after you blessed it?

Has anyone tried to talk to them and asked if why they are messing up with the furnitures, books, plates and other things in the house?

Do they have a happy life before they died?
Maybe they love a quiet place so they keep on messing things to keep all of you quiet or maybe they don't like the activities going on. I don't know, just having my theories and questions why are they doing things like that.

Hope to hear more of your stories in the future.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: