You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: New Haunted House 2

Real Ghost Stories

New Haunted House 2

 

In my last story I mentioned my haunted house being newly built in 1955 and my family being the first occupants. It is now the mid 60s and our basement had been finished into a recreation area by my Dad who was quite a handy man. The original basement was basic-concrete floor, cinder block foundation/walls, wood joist ceiling, all one open area. My Dad put down ceramic tile floors, wood panel walls, and drop ceilings with flush lighting.

There were separate laundry room, workshop, furnace room and 2 storage closets. Except for the closets these rooms were left unfinished with the cement floors and walls. One side of the finished basement had room for a pool table, a wet bar, and a couple of folding tables and chairs. This side also housed the laundry room and the stairway. Across the basement was an entertainment area with a couch, lazy boy recliner, a couple other chairs, end tables and a floor model TV. This furniture was our old living room furniture relegated to the basement when my parents bought new stuff for upstairs. At one end of this area was my Dad's workshop room, and at the other end was the furnace room.

The pool table provided hours of entertainment for us and our friends on rainy or winter days. One such day my friend and I, either about 10 or 11 years old, were shooting pool and talking, when we were interrupted by a noise across the basement. The old lazy boy chair was gently rocking; its old springs making a creaking noise. No one was sitting in it! My friend turned back to me, his eyes bugging and his mouth open.

We both threw our sticks on the table and darted up the stairs, me screaming for my Mom. We told her what we saw and though she didn't believe us she went downstairs with us to check it out. Of course everything was normal by then. As I was manually rocking the chair showing her what we heard and saw, another sound came from the nearby closed up furnace room. This wasn't a noise like something falling or being moved about, but a short sharp sound like someone hitting something against a metal object.

I don't know what protection against anything my Mom could have provided us as she was very short and a slight woman, but being a fiery Italian, she wasn't afraid of much. She walked over to the furnace room door with us close behind and opened the door. What happened next scared the living you know what out of me!

As the door opened, out of the dark I saw a hand, fingers spread wide open palm toward me, come right for my face! I don't know if I screamed or not but in probably 2 bounds I was across the basement and up the stairs taking 2 or 3 steps at a time! About 2/3s the way up I realized nobody was behind me including my Mom and friend.

Stopping and looking back they were still at the furnace room door looking at me and asking what was I doing? Coming back down I asked," Didn't you see that hand?!" Neither of them had seen anything. After turning on the furnace room light we could find nothing that could have made that noise. My Mom, making a comment about us watching too many horror movies, went upstairs and we nervously went back to shooting pool.

Perhaps these happenings could be chalked up to a boy's overactive imagination, as weird sounds continued over the next couple of years but I saw no more "apparitions". When I was 13 we moved to Ohio to a much larger house that was also built in the mid 50s with us being the second occupants, but I had no unusual experiences here. I am 55 now, and have lived in a house built in 1850 for the last 28 years.

My kids are grown and my wife has been deceased for 9 years now. When she was alive we experienced some unusual, unexplainable events, as one might expect in a house this old, but since she's been gone I haven't had anymore unusual experiences.

Other hauntings by gbs1x

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gbs1x, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

clovisgrunty (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
The layout of the basement sounds very similar to the house my grandparents live in currently (my grandmother passed last month and grandpa is on his way). They raised my Mother and her twin here, along with their older brother. This house is on Ann Arbor Trail, near Merrimen, in Westland.

Sorry I have no comments on the happenings youve described. However the nostalgia grabs me harder.
gbs1x (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-06)
The house is located in Redford, on Dover near Beach Daly rd. It was a 3 bd rm ranch style. A few other houses in the area had the same layout as mine.
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
I don't think that was your imaganation. I think you saw it because usually the younger you are the more you see stuff like that.
Alastor (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
Your old house was not in Warren was it? Mine was on Alger near 13 and Schoenner and a lot of weird stuff happened there and to everyone else in that area too... Your house sounds like it had the exact same layout of my old place...
gbs1x (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
That's the one thing that makes me believe: someone else experienced it too. I tend to be skeptical about the supernatural and think there is a logical explanation, I would even doubt my own experiences,except...someone else saw/heard it too! Now the hand part I could explain away as my imagination because my Mom and friend didn't see it, but how do you explain a chair rocking by itself-there was no earthquake or wind moving it. In the same house, as a boy I would wake up in the middle of the night and hear noises.I'd wake my brother up and we'd both listen and hear the same noises-could be the house "settling",or mice, or the furnace cooling down, but many of the sounds were definantly not creaking or settling noises.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-04)
Since some of the events were experienced by someone else too I couldn't possibly attribute them to a child's overactive imagination!

Sometimes we get to see and hear things we cannot logically explain or things that cannot possibly be explained for no obvious reason. We tend to believe that most times when there's "communication" of any sort it is because someone needs help or wishes to make a "statement". And yet, in cases like yours it could be just that you had a visitor/s who wanted to make themselves known, be aknowledged and move on to the next house.

Thank you for the account-it was quite intriguing!
gbs1x (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
Yeah,I think when you're younger you are more apt to believe in ghosts or spirits and then you are more attuned to have an experience. My wife was a big believer in spirits and I guess I fed on that and we had some weird things happen. When she was dying of cancer I asked her if the worst happened, if at all possible to come back and give me a sign she was still around, but in 9 years I never experienced anything except dreaming about her.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
Isn't it odd that you can have one of those experiences and it stays with you a lifetime? You may not even be sure of what it was but you know it wasn't the norm. I had a weird experience at 17 and I am now 56 and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I too live in an old house circa 1886 and while I have had some odd things happen it's nothing I give much thought to.
The difference with your experience is that someone else also heard and saw something strange. You had a witness. Your mom also heard the metal sound but like most adults she wasn't ready to buy the ghost deal. I'm sure she didn't want you kids being scared to be in the basement. So what I'm getting at is no one fed into the fear so maybe that's why you never saw anything like that again.
I think people can have a few isolated experiences without being "gifted", but they do make their mark anyway.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: