You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: There Is More To Life Than What We Understand

Real Ghost Stories

There Is More To Life Than What We Understand

 

I must say I love this site! It is a great place to read about the things we don't understand but want to... I am intrigued and relieved all at the same time knowing that there are others out there like me who deep down know there is more to this life than what we can understand. Ever since I was a child I could sense this, which now I think is strange. Is it normal for an eight year old to wonder what the purpose of life is? Question why we die? Wonder when will I die? Perhaps it is but these questions were brought on by the deaths of my grandma and my cousins while I was still at a young age and couldn't quite grasp the concept... I still cant, even to this day. I would also over hear my family talking of strange occurrences in their lives that they couldn't explain, and as a child, hearing this from adults scared me but piqued my interest mostly. I personally have not been through too many experiences myself, but what I have been through and what I have heard from family members has made me a believer. How wonderfully mysterious life is...

This first account I will share is something that happened to my mother: When my mother was young her grandmother was very ill and lived in West Virginia. Knowing that her grandmother might not make it, my mother and her family packed a few things and went to stay with her grandmother in her last hours. Her grandmother was in the hospital and they all visited there for a while then went to her grandmother's house to stay over night. Their plan was to go back the next day and visit her in the hospital but that plan changed.

They were only there for a few hours when suddenly the back door opened suddenly and loudly and the coal stove burst into flames all at the same time and with no explanation! While everyone was tending to the stove the phone rang not minutes after the incident. That phone call would be to tell the family that my mothers grandmother had passed. Now both the stove and the door could be explained logically somehow, but what a coincidence it is for both things to happen simultaneously and moments later get a call that someone has died... How strange indeed. Later that night, my mother being a young child, was upstairs in bed going to sleep when she felt something unseen rubbing her head and her hair as her grandmother used to always do to comfort her...

The next account happened when my grandmother died... I was not there when this had happened, I arrived a few hours later but when I got to my grandmothers house where everyone was to meet, everyone looked as though they had seen a ghost... I was with my cousin and my uncle and aunt and when we got there this is the story they told us... Everyone was gathered at my grandmother's house getting ready for her funeral. Everyone was in the same room talking when all of the sudden they all heard this loud crash like glass had been broken, and it was so loud and clear it sounded like something broke upstairs. So everyone went to see what had fallen, if anything, and how it fell. They searched every room upstairs and nothing, until they got to my grandmothers room. There was nothing broken in her room, but something was out of place... There lying on her pillow on her side of the bed was a statue of Jesus. The same statue she kept on a table by her bed. But how did it get on her pillow? Everyone asked each other had they placed it there and everyone denied it. The statue was too heavy to have fallen over and it was on the far side of her table away from the bed... Needless to say it had everyone baffled.

These next two accounts happened to me at different times in my life: I was staying with a friend when I was 14; we had enough of playing and talking so we went to bed. I was lying there, drifting off to sleep when I suddenly felt something cold on my face and the distorted sound of someone talking to me. The sound was right in front of my face! I was scared and asked my friend did she hear that? She said hear what? I just shrugged it off as my imagination, because it only happened for a brief second.

The next morning we could hear my friend's mother crying in the kitchen. We went out there to ask what was wrong, and that's when her mother told us that her mother had died the night before... I still feel to this day that that was my friend's grandmother coming to say goodbye to my friend.

Another unexplainable account happened just recently to me a few months ago to be exact... It's just something small, but either way, it had my fiancé and I wondering... We were both in bed, in deep sleep, and it was around 3am. We were both jolted out of sleep to the sound of something loud hitting the floor. I asked my then boyfriend at the time to get up and go turn on the light, which was across the bedroom, he said no its cold...lol...so I having to be the brave one in the relationship got up and turned the light on. I looked down on the floor and found my cell phone lying there. That is what we heard fall. But what we couldn't figure out was how did it fall? My phone was turned off, so it could not have vibrated off of the table it was on? It had us scratching our heads. The next morning I told my roommate what had happened and this is what he told me...

He said that that night he went to bed and around 3am or so he started to hear things being moved around on his dresser, and he could hear his computer chair creaking like someone was moving it. He said he was so scared he turned his light on and slept that way for the rest of the night. I find this odd because we had been living there for almost 3 years and we had not experienced anything unexplainable until that night?

What I'm trying to figure out is do ghost just randomly show up?

I have heard of ghosts haunting a place of residence of course, but have never heard of just a random one-time haunting?

So these are just some of the stories that have had me wondering about life and the mysteries of the unexplained since I was a child. Perhaps one day I will find out the answers...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BansheeLee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sai_Chan (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-20)
BansheeLee,
There is more to life than what you understand.
Please ask yourself you choose a mate by your body, or by your soul.
In the end, your soul will win, no matter what.

Ghost does travel or follow.
Ask yourself who this ghost was following with.
The ghost at your apartment, seems like a low-class soul, bad-mannered, and fumbling around.
I would heed a warning like this.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
As far as so called'ghosts' following you around, it may be possible it is loved once they have crossed over to be with the Lord stopping in from time to time to see how you are.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!
God Bless!
BansheeLee (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
I thank you for your comments.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that ghosts travel. I'm not sure why I just thought that they are bound to one location? But it makes perfect sense that they could travel, I'm sure there are some restless spirits out there just wondering around either aware or unaware of being dead.
Aurora- I think how we each view our lives and our world is unique. I'm sure everyone has their own views, and points and thoughts about life.:) And I think that I am sensitive to the paranormal at times. My belief is that we all are, we just need to be more "open-minded".
Again, thanks for all who have commented! Take care!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
You know, I have also heard of a ghost just passing through. A cousin of mine is very sensitive to ghosts and paranormal activity, and she sees passers through all the time. Sometimes they are scary, and sometimes they are angelic. The fact remains that ghosts can travel in some cases. They are not always physically bound to a location or object or person.
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
to address the first paragraph of your story, when I was a small child I used to wonder who I was and what my place was in the world. I would frequently point to things such as flowers and say "can you smell those?" or bounce up and down on a sofa and ask if anyone oculd hear the springs bouncing. I wasn't sure if my was of viewing the world was unique to me and so I was trying to find out. As for ther est of your story, it sounds like you're sensitive and the ghosts know it
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-14)
Well sometimes it's not just a place that is "haunted", people may also be "haunted" as well. You said you've lost family and I am sorry for your loss, but it may be those loved ones still being with you and showing you they are still there for you by doing those little things every now and again.

Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: