You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Breathing Sounds In My Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

Breathing Sounds In My Bedroom

 

We moved into our dream home in June 2008, a little more than a year ago. It is a 2 storey colonial with 5 bedrooms, built in 1970. It is a big home but we kind of grew into it, so it doesn't feel too big. We have spent the last year painting, buying furniture, and making it our own. We are very proud of it and enjoy living here very much. I never felt spooked or afraid in this house until recently. Now I am at a loss as to what to think.

My husband works rotating shifts, sometimes all day, sometimes all night. He uses one of the spare bedrooms to sleep in while he's working his shifts, but when he's off; he joins me in the master bedroom. On July 9, 2009, I woke up unexpectedly about 4 A.M. This is not unusual for me because I often have trouble sleeping through the night. Whenever I wake up, I put the TV on and can usually get back to sleep again. I guess the TV disturbed my husband this time and he too was awake. He got up and went to the bathroom down the hall. While he was gone, I continued to watch TV but then became aware of a breathing sound next to my side of the bed. My husband was just coming back into the room. I said, "Larry, something is breathing over here." The TV was still on, not real loud but at a comfortable volume where I didn't have to strain my ears. He said, "I hear it". I muted the TV and we both still heard the breathing. It sounded exactly like someone was asleep and was exhaling rhythmically like every few seconds. There were no inhaling sounds, just exhaling. It was the sound of someone sleeping peacefully, nothing scary about it at all.

We thought that maybe my son had snuck in the room while we were sleeping and had fallen asleep next to the bed. My husband checked beside the bed, under it, and under a table near the bed that has a long draping tablecloth. Nothing. I got up and went into my son's room and he was fast asleep. I stopped at my daughter's room and she too was asleep in bed. At this point, I was convinced that there must be some small animal in the room, like a squirrel or something. What other explanation could there possibly be? I went back to the bedroom and stood by the door. I told Larry to keep looking so that if it woke up and ran out, I could close the door and trap it in the bedroom. I didn't want to risk it running through the house and losing it. I stood there ready to close the door. The breathing continued but nothing was there. It was insane! "Where the hell is it? WHAT is it?" I was getting freaked out now. Larry turned on the overhead light. The breathing suddenly stopped, as mysteriously as it began.

The next day, we tried to re-enact the remote possibility of hearing our kids snoring through the air conditioning duct. It was a long shot, especially since the duct is very high near the ceiling and not in the area where we heard the sounds the night before. Larry went into each of their rooms and breathed heavily, first with the a/c on, then with it off. I heard nothing at all. I knew I wouldn't. How could this possibly be explained? If it was just me, alone in the room in the middle of the night, I know I would never be able to convince him of what I heard. But he was there too, and heard it just as clearly as I did.

There has been another strange occurrence I have encountered a few weeks later. Again, I awoke in the middle of the night, by the unmistaken sound of the remote control falling off the bed and onto the hardwood floor. It sounded like it fell right behind the headboard. I remember thinking, "Damn! Now, I'll have to feel around under there with my hand." It's a very tight squeeze between the headboard and the wall. I got ready to reach down but when I rolled over, the remote was right beside me. This same thing happened once before, a few months before the breathing incident. I was puzzled about it but just thought maybe I was dreaming. Now, I'm not so sure.

I am not the type of person who would be happy about the prospect of living with a ghost. In fact, it kind of freaks me out. But ever since this happened, I find myself sitting there and replaying it over and over in my head. I am really spooked, jumpy, and paranoid to be alone in my room.

Next month, we plan on remodelling the master bathroom in our bedroom. I heard that ghosts don't particularly like new construction in their house. I am getting nervous about getting the work started. Am I being crazy? The breathing did not sound at all threatening, so logically I guess I shouldn't be afraid of it. I am not aware of anyone dying here. We purchased the house from its original owners.

If anyone can offer any thoughts or suggestions about this, I would love to hear them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, longreeno, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LaGonave (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-25)
I have also heard breathing sounds in a room. It was more than 20 years ago. My son was in his bedroom and I was watching TV downstairs. He suddenly came hurtling downstairs and threw his duvet and pillows in the floor, telling me that he wasn't going to sleep in his room. I asked why and he told there was breathing up there. I asked him to explain and he said he could her somebody breathing. I tried to reassure him and suggested that it could be the wind outside or noise from the plumbing, and went upstairs to investigate. He followed. I sat on the bed and was shocked to be able to hear the breathing noise. It was fairly loud, slow, humanlike breathing. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, there was no source or direction. It seemed to be hanging in the atmosphere, it's difficult to explain. We both slept downstairs that night. Fortunately, we haven't heard it again.
Student (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-25)
Hi longreeno,
I'm 25year old student from Macedonia, who currently lives in a dorm. Last night I was alone in my room and I experienced the exact same EXHALING on my roommate's bed. It was 06:00am and I was terrified. I was awake but pretending to be asleep. Didn't move at all. The moment I heard sounds in the hollow (from other students), I jump off my bed (and the breathing stopped). I turn on the lamp, but there was nothing there. So I am siting on internet ever since and looking to see if someone else experienced something like this. PLEASE HELP ME. I AM STILL SHAKING.
DIMRUS (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-10)
Hi longreeno,

My name is James and I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

I can't believe I found your story with a click of the mouse, I thought I was the only one that experienced this. I've heard this exhaling sound for a long time now, never inhaling just exhaling.

I remember when I was a child I heard it, I used to get so scared and hide under the covers, but for a very long time it stopped happening.

Now I am 24 and staying at my grandmothers. The house is not very old, maybe 70s. I have been sleeping in their bedroom and have started hearing it again. I notice that when I turn the lights or lamp on it stops usually, or even when I move around in my bed. Sometimes it persists and it gets really scary yet annoying. Always happens in the middle of the night? Happened last night. I remember once I had the strength to stand up and look around the room, I asked 'if you want to tell me something, tell me!' but no reply, just breathing. I got scared and started saying leave me alone etc. I went downstairs and It had somehow gone to the kitchen too! I walked right next to the sound but got nothing other than breathing. My grandparents say it may be a relative but I am sceptical because it scars me. It isn't an angry sound, it is calm but its still scary. Sometimes it sounds like a man or woman, I'm guessing they are different at different times. I want to record the sound, so I am leaving my phone on every night from now on, but definitely wearing ear plugs.

I thought it might be a possum outside, or a gas main, cars etc but when I move around it stops or stutters in breathe... How can anyone explain that? We have blessed the house but it keeps happening. We have family feuds and maybe someone did black magic on us? I don't know...

I think it is a gift and a curse. I believe it is either a spirit that isn't happy with us being there, indifferent or watching over us. I think only few people experience this.
longreeno (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-19)
I feel compelled to continue my story in the event that anyone reading this can benefit in some way. Please reread my previous entries first before reading any further.

On Sept. 19, 2009, I awoke in the wee hours of the night. As usual, I had put the TV on before going to bed and could hear that M.A.S.H was on. I was awake enough to hear the banter going on between Hawkeye and Hotlips. It was the episode when Hotlips, quite out of character, was making jokes. The two of them were cracking up. Their hysterical laughter was abruptly interrupted by a scary sound coming from the corner of my room near the bed. It sounded like an angry "SSSSSS" sound, repeated several times, very loudly and very quickly. In a panic, I grabbed my husband beside me in bed, but by then, it had stopped. He had not heard it.

On Oct 11, 2009, my husband was asleep next to me in bed. It was early morning and dark outside, probably near 5 A.M. Ever since the previous incidents, I had resolved to sleeping with both the television and the lamp on. I switched to a more comfortable position. As I turned to face outward, I heard the clear and undeniable sound of the remote control hitting the hardwood floor. It was so loud it woke up my husband. I looked over the side of the bed but I somehow knew I wouldn't find it there.
"It's not down there, is it?", my husband whispered.
"No. Here it is." I reached next to him to show him the remote, still between us on the bed. It had not fallen. I had purposely placed it in the middle of the bed to prevent this from happening. This was the first time my husband had also heard the sound of the remote falling. It was a little comforting to know that someone other than myself had experienced the breathing and now also the falling remote control. However, it was very unsettling to think that something was watching me and had actually waited for the exact moment when I turned in bed. At the precise moment, the sound had been simulated as if it had actually fallen. Freaky.

I want to mention that we did go ahead and have the master bathroom remodeled as we had planned to do. The contractor discovered that the walls behind the tile were completely water damaged and so the project lasted more than a month, much longer than was expected. However, no incidents occured during this time.

I believe that there are two kinds of spirits in this world. A spirit is either an angel of God or a demon from hell. I do not believe that a person who has lived on this earth and then died can still remain here in spirit. I believe that you either go to heaven or to hell after you die. I am a Non-Denominational Christian and believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I believe that He died for our sins and promises salvation to anyone who believes in him. The devil cannot compete in any way with God, who is all powerful and has ultimate authority over him. The only way he can get back at God is by attacking us. I believe his most powerful tactics are psychological. He enjoys scaring me and wants to steal my joy in my new home with my new bathroom.

Well, I decided enough is enough.

Recently, I stood in my bedroom and addressed the entity directly. I demanded that it be gone in the name of Jesus Christ. I told it that it has no place here. I told it to go back to hell where it belonged.

I am a child of God and have complete faith in Jesus Christ. The devil is powerless because I will not give him access to me, my family, or my home. I must confess that I have often allowed stress in my life to boil into an ugly anger. It is sometimes difficult for me to control my temper and my tongue. I believe that this may be the reason for the visits in my bedroom. The devil is lurking around because I gave him a foothold.
Don't sin by letting anger control you. Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. (Ephesians 4:26-27)

If anyone reading this is experiencing unwanted visits, I beg you to ask Jesus to come into your heart.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Confess your sins and accept Jesus as your personal saviour. Then confront the bad spirit and demand that it leave your home in the name of Jesus Christ, whose blood was shed on the cross to save the world.

God Bless You.
verona116 (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
you shouldn't be afraid if it just make noises it can't harm you but anyway one time I was waching my 4 yearold cousin we were waching spongebob the remote was right next to me and the tv turned to a channel far away from it. If you have a voice recorder try to talk to it. I did that and it worked. After that I do that every friday to see what I will cach and it's like talking to a friend it's not scary at all
jbrown9384 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-08)
You should talk to the original owners of the house to get as much info as you can get. Best of Luck! ❤ 😁
Crash (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
When people say that spirits... Or whatever you would like to call them...don't like remodeling, basically I think of it as any kind of major change. Re-painting, knocking walls down, moving furniture...etc, some things can be set off by merely moving a picture. It's difficult to say for sure what might stir up more activity.

I've been around ghosts my entire life, there's quite a few that 'live' in my house, some that follow me around various places. I've had the breathing thing, some grab and shake me to get my attention.

What's always worked for me if I don't want to be bothered, is to just make it plain that you don't want them around. But you can always try to figure out exactly what they're doin still hanging out.

Like some others have said, you're not feeling particularly threatened, and that really is the most important thing. It sounds like they're just letting you know that they're there. Sometime when you're alone in the house, you can just address them and let them know that the place is yours, and you can change what you want. Just treat them like a displaced person, cause that's basically what they are. Though, from the stories you've told, it didn't seem as if they were acting as though they were fully aware of you, they seem like echoes. Someone obviously really liked that place, or they wouldn't still be there.

Definitely let us know any more developments that happen.:)
shaylala (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
My sister has been hearing breathing in her closet. She has been hearing the sounds for two years. I learned that today. My friends and I were in her room and we heard breathing in the closet. We went in to inspect. We felt something touching our hands and face, tickeling us and tugging our hair. It is strange.
bumblebee55 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
One time I went to this bookstore called Borders. I was the only one in that isle when I heard someone breathing next to me. Scared the crap out of me. 😲
longreeno (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

You all seem to be in agreement that remodeling will stir up the ghosts that had previously been dormant. I want to point out though that we have not yet started on the bathroom project. In fact, the contractor just came out to assess the bathroom last week, about 2 weeks AFTER the incident. (Could it know what we are PLANNING to do?)

Another thing, the first time I heard the remote control falling was months before we even seriously talked about redoing the bathroom. So when you say they don't particularly like you to remodel, what exactly do you mean by that? We have been painting, ripping up rugs, and buying new furniture since BEFORE we even moved in (settlement was in March, 2008; we moved in June, 2008). Does this count as remodeling? Or do you mean actually tearing down walls or ripping out old fixtures? If it is the latter, then I am very worried that the activity will intensify.

T clarify, no, I did not feel the air moving or feel the breathing. We don't have any pets and the bedroom is upstairs on the second floor. The window nearest to the bed has no ledge or anything on the outside so it couldn't have been some animal resting there just outside of the window.

Just a side note, while I was typing the story for submission, I was bumped offline at least 5 times. Don't know if that was AOL or if it could be trying to interfere. I know, I know. Now I'm getting paranoid!

I really appreciate your postings. Outside of my husband, no one else in the family knows what happens. I'm afraid that if I say something, it'll freak them out and they won't want to come over anymore. I can't see anything good coming from telling them so I remain silent. It really helps to be able to discuss this with all of you and to get some good, caring advice. For that, I thank you.
Hipboy125 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
Wow. I know how you feel. Last night, my Tv went to static when I was on this site. I turned my monitor off for a sec, to check out the tv. Its no longer static. I turn my monitor back on, start reading a story, and it goes static again. By then, I was freaking out. I turned my PC off, and got out of my room ASAP. Also, I hear whispering a lot.
A7XFAN09 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
I am having the exact same thing going on in my bedroom, I hear breathing sounds when nobody is there. I have also heard bangs in there and nothing has been moved or out of place. Scary 😐
Phrenzy (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
When I was little, I used to stay over at my aunts house and I also heard breathing noises. I don't know if any one else did. 😕
Ps1983 (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
Yes it sounds definately like you stirred up something when you re arranged and made the home your own. If you are remodeling the existing home be wary but don't let it stop you. If it is someone who died there the home currently is all they know and could potientially not like the remodel. If you are doing an edition no worries at all. Spirits are usually attached to objects like homes and won't know the addition is even there when it's done.

Do or did you ever feel the breathing / air movement?
Rodney (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-06)
Wonderful story. I know that may sound crazy because it's freaking you out.
I have had similar happen to me, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't believe had I not had anything like this happen.
Your story is real (believable). I mean, you didn't have a ghost take your hand and lead you through a mirror in one room and out a mirror into another room (and if anyone has had this happen or posted a story of such I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it would be very difficult for me to believe). It's a very real story.
I don't think you will have problems renovating. I know this has happened in the movies, and a lot movies are based on some fact, but I bet you will be fine. Start slow though, just in case, lol. Kidding.
Maybe this is a visitor. Or maybe this is an awakening of some sort. The good thing is it is calm. Maybe it or they just want some attention. As long as it continues I would do what you are doing. Try to find the simplest answer. This will keep your mind open to receive, and may help to keep the fear out. If your bedroom is on the bottom floor, could a dog or big cat be up under the house sleeping. I'm sure you have thought of this, just an example. CSI it to death. And I would enjoy the experience. It could leave at any time, never to return.
If that is what you want, for it to leave, all you have to do is ignore it. I had an expert tell me this and it has worked several times. It may take a few days, or it could be a few weeks (ignoring this means you do not acknowledge that anything is happening, you do not talk about it, and you definitely do not fear it). I also hear that fear can give it strength. This seems to be very accurate as well.
Again, excellent story. Please keep us posted how everything turns out (you can add a comment, just as we do, to update, or answer questions, etc).
😲
Rodney...
mark (8 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
Any rennovations will sometimes awaken spirits that may be attached to your house. I'm having the same issues with my house, it's almost expected that if I do something with the house something will happen. The last instance I had was I heard children laughing in one of the empty rooms. Anyways, I would definately have the house blessed, and even try to talk to them. Never, try a quija board or contact them by any means outside of speaking to them.

I wish I could tell you that it's going to get better, but the more you do around the house the worse it gets. Also, don't trust the ghosts as being good ghosts either.
eveelinaa (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
I wouldn't be so frightened. Clearly the spirit (s) in your home have shown no sign of a threat against you. I mean, it is awkward and freaky to be living with ghosts around. But I wouldn't say they're particularly trying to harm you in any way. They're just still stuck on Earth. However, I do fear that a problem will arise if you continue your remodeling. I konw for a fact that spirits hate it. Be careful.
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
Thank you for the story. It sounds spooky!

Spirits are very active during the wee hours of the morning. They can be pretty active anytime, but around 3-6 am is when the Veil between the spirit world and our world is the thinnest. If I were you, I would start right now trying to cleanse my home and talk to the spirits and let them know that you mean them no harm, this is 2009 and you have purchased this home and you have fallen in love with it and would like to bring it up to date. You will in no way destroy their property, you only want to modernize it. Construction to a property will either make the hauntings go away or make them worse. Even if something has been a sleep for 200-300 years, construction on their property sometimes is the best way to wake them up.

It doesn't matter if someone died in a house or not. Sometimes the people who lived in a house before you moved in can die somewhere else but in life loved their house so much that in death they wanted to stick around and protect the property they loved so much. You can buy a piece of land and build a brand new mansion on it and it be haunted from the floor to ceiling. Land is old and dates back hundreds of years. There could have been many, many things built on the site of what is now your home. Try researching. Thank God you are not feeling threatened. That's a good thing.

God bless you and keep you.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
longreeno,
Great story, thanks for sharing. 😆 It is so awesome that you were able to experience the sound for a long period of time, so you could try to solve what it was. Almost seemed considerate, and unafraid that you were looking for it. It was probably spooked when your husband popped on the light though. Maybe you should ask it to leave your home. My Grandmother would always curse at unwanted visitors that came to our family and home. Take care, Aloha - 4d ❤
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
sounds to me like you stired up some dormant spirits when you started "making it your own"
Sorry to tell you that

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: