You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Headless Horse

Real Ghost Stories

The Headless Horse

 

Back in 2003, my friends Dawn, Ben, Chuck, Lisa & I decided to go investigate at this old cemetery that had both a new and old section. When we first got there, it was creepy and VERY ominous looking. We brought along a Ouija board (against MY better judgment) and planned on making a night of it.

It was close to midnight and believe me when I say, VERY much alive with activity. When we started walking off to the left of the gate, I see what looks like a barn off in the distance. Not your typical big red barn, but a white, kind of run down looking place. I told everyone we should go check it out, but most of them wanted to venture off to the older section. I turned to tell them that I wanted to stick around in the newer section, because to be honest, I was scared to death. When I turned back around, I saw what seemed to be a horses head just floating in front of me. I stood there catatonic for a minute, closed my eyes and it was gone. There was no body, nothing else but the head. I didn't scream or anything, I just spun around and went back to my car. My friend Dawn came back shortly thereafter and asked what was wrong and I explained to her what I saw. She texted the guys on their phones and said it was time to go, I didn't look so good.

As we were driving home, I told them what had happened and they all laughed at me. I knew what I saw. Since it was so incredibly dark that night, and we weren't smart enough to bring more than one flashlight, we decided we'd go out the next day during the day and see the layout of it so we might be able to navigate better in the evening.

The following day, we pull in the lane and when I look the direction of the barn, I realize there wasn't one. I was stunned. I KNEW I saw that barn the night before... But there was NOTHING. I felt nauseous and back to the car I went. As I'm sitting there in complete astonishment, I hear both Ben & Chuck yelling at the top of their lungs, and see them running up from the old section of the cemetery Dawn came flying back, she was doing some tombstone etchings and yelled, "what the hell is wrong with you 2?" They approached me and told me I absolutely HAD to come with them. I was leary, but asked the Lord to protect me with his light and off I went.

We get down to the edge of the older section and there is a very rough, makeshift grave with an old headstone that read:

"Here lies James Putnam, born 1794 died 1844. Died of a broken heart. Buried with his headless horse Marvin, neighbors didn't like his horses whinnies or James for that matter, so they chopped it's head off, poor, poor James Putnum."

Hm, they don't laugh at me anymore. It was Marvin the horses head I saw, and now had some proof.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, misti_dawn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

keno11 (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-05)
yeah this is hardly about this story but I heard this storie before but diffrently on MLP:fim 🤔
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-13)
I liked this story at first but when I found out what happened to the horse it broke my heart and I love horses the neighbours were so cruel I mean why did they chop its head off its better to take the horse and sell it if they can't sell it give it to a local horse riding place who ever the neighbours were I hope the are in hell right now 😠 and do you remember the colour of the horse thanks.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-04)
THAT IS FREAKY AS HELL GIRL! MAN I"M STARTING TO GET SCARED TOO! Good story.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-04)
Who could do that to someone let alone a horse this is truely sad. If they had of done it to my horse I would show them they same manners they showed my horse.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-03)
Sounds as if you saw a horseless head, rather than a headless horse, but either way it would have scared the bejabbers out of anyone.

Seems pretty mean of the neighbors to kill his horse, though.

Just out of curiosity, what area of Pennsylvania did this occur in? I lived in Philadelphia, have roots in the Pennsylvania Dutch country, and have done some research on the upper Delaware Valley, so I guess you could classify my interest as both personal and professional.
ZiShu (281 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-01)
whoa crap, that is very creepy
I would shout at the head, in the name of God, GO AWAY!
rrc3 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-01)
ahhhhhhhh I heard of a deadly horse not a headless horse well yea a few times
uda16hoffbr (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-30)
This is so wonderfull where did this take place I want to go and see it email me please uda16hoffbr [at] yahoo.com
saishu_heiki (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-30)
It's the first time I hear about a headless horse. Interesting story... Why would someone chop a horse's head? That's so cruel!
Boo123 (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-30)
MMMMMMMMM I wonder about this one 🤔 This sound almost like a story I hears before

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: