You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sounds Of The Past

Real Ghost Stories

Sounds Of The Past

 

My family had the computer in the living room but due to remodeling, we moved the computer to the back of the house. We have a room, it's called the family room, and it faces the backyard. One night, I was on the computer doing my homework. It was around 11 to 12 midnight because those are the hours I always do my homework. I was typing up an essay when I heard something. It sounded like a Native American song. If anyone has even seen those history videos they show at school where they show Native Americans singing in their language, that is exactly what I heard. I was so surprised that I stopped typing and just sat there on my computer chair listening. It was so loud and clear. I was right next to the sliding door which leads to the backyard. I got up and went into my parents room to see if it was their television or radio. It wasn't. It was coming from my backyard and it was so loud and clear that I felt that they or whoever it was, where right outside the sliding doors. The sliding doors had a curtain but I was too afraid to peek outside. I just turned off the computer and went straight to my room.

The next day, I performed a little experiment. I told my mom to go outside and into the middle of the yard. I told her to talk as loudly as she could (my mom has a very loud voice). I went inside and closed the sliding door. I did not hear a thing. I told my mom to get closer, and each time I could hear more clearly. It couldn't have been the neighbors because all of our yards are huge, so I wouldn't have been able to hear them. Also, my neighbors are all elderly people who don't make any noise at all. To this day, I believe that it was the ghosts of Native Americans I heard because that is what it sounded like but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BleachFreak01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-16)
LillyPieLindsay,
Welcome to YGS. I thought since I had noticed you are reading some of the older experiences, that I should help you out with this. Most people get here and the first thing we do is look for stories from where we live or grew up and ones that match up to any experiences we have had ourselves. We all do this and in commenting on those we have a sense of commonality which is welcomed here at YGS. It adds to the story itself and future readers will appreciate that.
The only time commenting on older experiences ever becomes a problem is when it's obvious the poster doing the commenting is only doing so in an attempt to either re-light old flame wars and/or start new ones. Trolls use the tactic of pointing out old conflicts as their way of getting revenge.
What your comments have done is add to the original experience, and that's a good thing. No need to apologize for it.
And, by the way, thank you for sharing those. 😊

Jav
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-16)
I realize this is an older story, I hope it doesn't irk anyone that I'm commenting on it. I'm actually from Rolling Meadows as well. I've never experienced anything super natural here BUT I've had several scary experiences while walking my dog late at night. I'm not the type who gets creeped out or scared very easily but one night I went to turn down a street I often walk down but suddenly froze in my tracks. It was PITCH black down the whole street (no street lights) & I just got such a bad feeling I turned on my heel and walked the opposite direction.

Even my dog (who HATES when we turn around and retrace our steps) was looking over her shoulder and jogging along side of me.

Again, I'm NOT saying it was paranormal - maybe there was someone with bad intentions down that street and my gut instinct just letting me know or something, who knows.

The other time I was walking my dog late at night and as we area passing a school about to walk towards a residential neighborhood I heard the most high pitched wail / screech I've ever heard before.

I was picturing cats mating but it didn't sound anything like that and its definitely something I had never heard before. I'm sure it was an animal but after living in IL my entire life I have never been able to isolate what exactly it was.

Needless to say I didn't keep walking in that direction!

Again neither of these are paranormal (although I do have a few to share one day) but thought I would share anyway!

I do believe RM was one of the first NW Chicago suburbs to be populated for whatever reason, and that all of the MW had some Native American presence.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-05)
I'm familiar with rolling meadows (back in the day I dated a guy from the area).

I found this on the web:
Http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1N1-113DCFAB6E0EB1F8.html

Now, the link is a little odd and it doesn't provide the whole article (I have no interest in signing up for the "free" trial).

It mentions Plum Grove Road. Are you near that? Anyway, its a start for your research
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-04)
Bleachfreak...you may not and even we may not know that what they want if you don't want any thing to TROUBLE YOU then you should DO SOMETHING and secondly were you not being troubled if someone will sing songs again and again...if I would be at your place I would have called priest and then dig up that place...for safety you know...anyways you are intellegent enough to know what to do...

GOD BLESS YOU FRIEND... ❤
BleachFreak01 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Preeti: Hmmm I don't think I want to dig around my backyard...I don't want to disturb anything if someone is buried there.

Youngdz79: I agree with you. I should research the land. All I know is that these homes are old and were built for the veterans.

Phoenix77: Thank you for explaining that to me. If it happens another time, I might not be so freaked out. 😁

Hobbyholly: I live in a small city from Cook County called Rolling Meadows. It is a northwest suburb of Chicago.
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
hey...Do look at the yard...maybe any one would be killed and buried there...you should check that out buddy...

Brave Person 😜

God bless you ❤
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
BleachFreak01: It was cool that you heard that music, being from the great lakes region myself I have noticed that we seem to have a higher count of ghostly events than other places, and a lot seem to involve Native Americans. I wonder if the old stories I heard about the region being a scared and spiritual place to them his truer than I believe. I also wonder if fresh Water and Iron ore have something to about it. You should research the land and see if where you live was in the area of the mounds.

P.S: Sorry about the rambling
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
It was a "recording". In some areas, events are recorded or imprinted and they play over and over again. You just happened to be there when it did. I think it was a very lucky break. Blessed be
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
First off: I would look into the history of the home/land.

Second of all: where in Il. Is this located? I too live in Illinois.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: