You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Knocking At My Apartment Front Door

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking At My Apartment Front Door

 

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here and posting this story when I haven't done enough investigating first. But still, here it goes...

I just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend. So far, it's been great. A couple nights ago though, while my girlfriend and I were horsing around on the sofa, wrestling and such, there was a loud banging (not a quiet knock) on my front door. My immediate thought was that someone was upset and (although the noise in my apt was minimal) they were coming to complain. It did not sound like a 'friendly' knock. Anyway I got up and looked outside and no one was there. But I thought I heard someone (maybe two people running down the stairs). I live in an upstairs apt. I went on the balcony and stayed out there, just scanning for the 'pranksters'. But I didn't see anything. I figured it was just some kids messing around so I let it be.

So, last night my girlfriend and I decided to go to bed early, around 11pm. As we were chatting in bed, I heard a knock on the front door again! This time it was a much more 'friendlier' knock. I jumped out of bed and peered out the bedroom window to see if anyone was running away or down the stairs. I didn't see anything or anyone. At that point I was kind of annoyed with this so I got dressed and decided to patrol the complex, just to see if I witnessed any odd people or behavior. I noticed that my neighbors light was on downstairs so I went over and asked if they had been pranked or received any knocks. She said no.

We went back to bed and just left it as it being a prankster who lives nearby. In the middle of the night, I started hearing noises, like a distant banging or thumping, sort of the sound you hear when the base of music is loud but distant. I started to think it was all in my head, but in the morning, my girlfriend told me she heard the same sounds! One last thing... Our cat was spooked by something because around 5/6am she was meowing and shaking when we let her in the room.

Anyway, not sure if it's just a prankster and the rest of the things were all in my head.

I just found this site and some people who have commented on similar stories say to investigate the property. How do you find out the property history?

Thanks in advance!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, photoguyp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MattG (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
3 adults, one ten year old child and a 3 year old boxer experienced this but within just 1 hour we had a knuckle knock sound, then trying to shuffle a door closed sound, then a sound like someone was trying to open a locked door, then the loudest metal door knock sound I've ever heard. All the while our front door was wide open and just our screen door was closed. Our dog saw whatever it was before the knocks. On the video, there are footsteps, then two light knocks that no one heard, then the dog staring out the screen door starts growling at something. Then two more knocks a little louder this time and then the really loud metal door knock. I placed my video camera in the hallway. There are four apartments in our stairwell. Two on the bottom and two on the top. We are also the managers here so I was able to go through the apartments with tenants. Here is the link to the video I posted on Youtube. This happened last night at about 9:30pm. NOT BSing anyone. Am planning to set up multiple cameras tonite. I am here in Hollywood, CA. Right where Hollywood blvd begins at Laurel Canyon for those of you who might know the area.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fhqAMYIBXM

I am not trying to fool anyone and I have witnesses that are as freaked out about this as I am.
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-10)
You may have a ghost! I recently moved to a new apartment & have heard strange noises out on my porch. It only happens late at night & always around the same time. I've called the police several times because I thought a person had broken in through the door downstairs, but there's never anyone out there when they show up! It's very scary to hear these things late at night. My cats have also acted strangely several times. I'm thinking about moving again! 😨
alexisb (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-05)
Ok phoyoguyp, this almost exact thing is happening to my boyfriend and I and I have been trying to tell myself there is some explanation for it and I have been losing so much sleep! We just moved into brand new apartments that were just built, we have been here 4 nights now and every single night between 3:30AM and 4am we are experiencing knocking on our door that is a deliberate knock. Our bedroom is right by the front door so he jumps out of bed and opens the door- to find no one. This pisses me off because then I can't go back to sleep and I have so much anxiety over what happened. So Last night we decided to sleep with a fan on facing the wall to help mask any noises- it definately helped! But sure enough at 3:30am we were woken up horrified by our 7 year old chihuahua (who sleeps in the bed with us) who was screaming. I can't even tell you how terrifying it was- he wasn't yelping he SCREAMED. I held him and he stopped but it was the strangest thing I've ever experienced and once again was terrified to go back to bed in fear that he might die or something was wrong with him. I am seriously praying that it was just a wierd coincidence but I feel crazy and confused because I just can't seem to find an explanation for this. I even tried looking up history on the area, the intersection etc and haven't found anything yet. Please let me know if you ever find an explanation for it:- (
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
Weird...I don't think its a prankster... I guess it was a ghost or something like that.

BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR INVESTIGATION 😊

❤ TO YOU.
markallen (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-11)
I've had an experience like this but just once. It was years ago when I was a child and my aunt was babysitting me. We were in the sitting room watching TV when there was a loud bang at the door. We went out to open it but there was no one there. I stepped outside to have a look but there was still no one. Then the phone rang. I answered and it was my other aunt sounding very upset. She said that an old family friend of ours whom we were very close to had died.

My family have had loads of experiences like this too. My aunt Majella (who was babysitting me) was at home one evening talking on the phone when she heard someone banging at the sitting room window. Majella said to the person on the phone 'Sorry! I have to go. Someone is banging at the window!' but when she went out there was no one there. She went back inside and shortly there was a phone call saying that my Gran aunt had died in Hospital.

I'm not really sure why there's a knock when someone dies or is going to die but it is related. It doesn't mean that someone you know is going to die though.

As for your Cat mentioned: One day I was listening to music in the kitchen. My cat was outside the door looking in at me when she looked at something behind me with a scared look on her face and bolted off! I turned around but there was nothing there. I turned off the music and left because it scared me a little and I had heard that Cats and other animals are senceative to things like this. I don't think my house is haunted though. Maybe some things have passed through from the spirit world because I have had strange things happen but very seldomly. Cold Spots, Feeling cold air pass me by, Feelings of being wathed, Hearing my name being said in the kitchen once when I was home alone. I was actually recording my cat's antics when that happened and I picked up the voice. Another night I was downstairs alone when I heard the kitchen door handle move. I know I'm making my house sound really scary now but it's not at all. I'm just saying that because of what happened with your cat then maybe there was something paranormal present.

Maybe it is a ghost or spirit trying to contact you but maybe it's not even paranormal at all. There may be a logical explanation. If anything happens then please keep us updated!

M 😉
cutechoy (42 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-11)
i think its an intruder...

Someone is mad at you and your girlfriend!

Just advice... 😊 😊 😊
ghostlyswings09 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
This is really interesting and I think what you are dealing with here is indeed a ghost or spirit. That is just my opinion though so don't rely on what I say.
My friend experienced the same thing. After that she would here noises in her home. She and I think she has let something in and it wants to live there. This is just what I think so don't think I am right. Anyway, If anything else happens, make sure you right about it. 😊
katikat (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
Interesting story well I'm native american my people say that if someone knocks on your door and you answer and then nobody is there people say your letting somethtng bad in but that is just my opinion and the cat animals can see stuff that the human can't but again that's just my opinion 😉
ghostmedia (2 stories) (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-09)
interesting story! I think there is a large possibility it is a ghost. I'll post a propa comment soon, but I gotta go!
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
This is such an interesting story!
My mum has had experiences like this... Door knocking and doorbell ringing... But she's said that when these things happened to her, a few days afer, they would find out someone in her family or a close friend had passed away.
Not meaning to scare you 😜
As Joojoodolly said, cats are very sensative to things, and people say that animals can see stuff we can't... I'm sure my cat can!
From the sounds of it, it's a pretty harmless spirit or entity.
Keep us updated with what happens!
Take care and enjoy your new apartment
C
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
I don't know if this could be paranormal. I've lived in numerous apartments. I've lived in free standing ones (above a business), complexes, a small complex in the city of chicago (right next to Graceland cemetery might I add) and currently a 2 flat which is an old Victorian home. I'm under the belief that NO complex is absolutely quiet. Noise travels in those types of buildings. You have a whole bunch of people living there. The knocking may very well be some dumb kids knocking on your door or someone knocking around your area. I know you talked to your neighbor, but her hearing might not be as good as yours or she maybe just didn't hear anything.

The bass thumping like music could have been coming from somewhere in the complex. The complex I lived in had that happen. I could never quite pin point where it was coming from...

About your cat: It could have been nothing. Sometimes cats are funny. Then again, I had an experience with my cat where he just seemed totally spooked. I have no idea why. I am a firm believer animals are sensitive though.

As far as researching the home: Check old newspapers. See if there were any deaths or fires. If this is a complex, you might want to see if the name has changed: i.e a new property owner/company has taken over. Find out if something once stood on the land such as an old building or farm. I don't think it would do much good talking to neighbors, but you could try that. Going to the library (if you have time for this) you could talk to a historian or some local that is knowledgeable of the area (perhaps a historical society would be of help). Its tedious and a long process. If you have the time and the drive you might find something.

In the mean time, enjoy your apartment. You're paying rent for it...might as well. Whatever is going on sounds harmless for now.
Joojoodolly (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-07)
I think this may be a ghost. Cats are supposed to be very sensitive to that sort of thing! I used to have a cat, and she always knew when there was something there. I don't know what this ghost could want though. It could just want attention, or, maybe its a ghost that likes to play tricks, like a prankster ghost! Good luck! And if anything else happens, keep it updated.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: