You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Shadow People: Night Terror Or Is It Real?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow People: Night Terror Or Is It Real?

 

I have always experienced weird things when I sleep but there is one thing that happens to me that I can't help but wonder if it's just a night terror (which is what I have always called them) or if it's real.

It basically started about 5 years ago (I'm 26 now) maybe longer where I wake up and I'm not fully awake I'm still in a dream like state and there is a black figure standing by my bed, it always scares me to the point to where I scream and grab my husband but by the time he wakes up and by the time I fully wake up it's gone.

The most recent was last week; I woke up still half asleep and saw the dark figure by my bed. But this time it had a face. My 6 month old son was sleeping with me and I gasped and he started crying. By the time I was fully awake the figure was gone, my heart was pounding and my son was in my arms crying silently. Every time I see one I almost always gasp or scream and when I'm finally fully Awake my heart is pounding out of my chest, I just lay there in a daze wondering if what I saw was real or just a dream. Sometimes there is more then one, it's always a man and one time it was hovering over me. It never touches me it just stands there.

One of the reasons why I'm wondering if it's just a dream is because sometimes when I wake up I don't remember waking up and my husband just tells me the next morning that I woke him up saying "do you see that?!?! And then I fall right back to sleep.

Just few other things... It started when I moved in with my now husband it got really bad at this one house we have moved 3 times since that "one house" and it happens at every house since then, but not as bad as that "one house". Sometimes it doesn't happen for months. Sometimes it happens 2 nights in a row.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it just night terrors or is there another term for what's happening to me?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shannanigans707, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TheSkeptic (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-17)
I wouldn't worry too much, sounds nothing more than a dream or recurring nightmare. Do you have any electrical devices or bad wiring in your home?
PlaneWanderer (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
Hmm I wouldn't worry too much but. I'll start off with this. I was little when a lot of paranormal stuff went on in our house. We don't live there any more thankfully. To be quick, we've had spirits in our house and then the house has caught on fire. NO BULL my mum has told me stories like that when I was old enough to comprehend. As a kid I woke with night terrors but most of the time it would be spirit/shadow people.
But this next story includes thoughts involving your relationship and your child. Seeing as children from personal experience are open to spirits maybe because we haven't joined this world who knows I'll try and keep it minimal.
When I was little, probably 3 years old. My dad was really sick, but let's not get into what or why he was sick. What I'm getting at is our house had something in it and my Mum didn't catch on until later that whatever it was had used dads weakness to make contact with us.
He went through months of treatment until they said there was nothing they could do. Then I believe they did what they normally do. Open all the doors and have a stand off with the spirit. They would normally start by kindly telling the spirit that it didn't live here any more and that it was time to move out. If that didn't work dad was known to tell everyone to go on a picnic and then he'd scream the house down until the spirits left.
He then decided he had to do something else and went through months of Chinese herbal remedy. One day he started to get healthier and he went to get checked. Normally people don't survive what he had and everyone at the clinic was amazed. Just a few little personal stories to think about.
Remember always that you have the power to overcome entities. Here comes a ramble. I wasn't raised religious or anything and I'm not I'm rather the opposite but. One night I awoke to a really fierce energy. I could see as if the lights were on but they weren't. Which is typical in these situations for me. I felt it grab me and it wasn't nice. I was paralysed head to toe I guarantee it constricted like a little toy. I was scared for a moment but then the words help me Jesus came blurting out of my mouth. For some reason I then had the epiphany that it didn't matter what I had said because I wasn't Christian all I needed to do was stand up to the spirit who had got a hold of me. I'll digress now. I hope these stories help a little.
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-24)
I agree with athena, and I think shadow spirit are those who stay to long here in this world that they've lost there spiritual form or atleast there ghosty shape... 😊 they don't hurt anyone and they usually stay in one place, in our school, there are two shadow whos standing near the stare way, like they guarding it, and they don't even flinch even though they know you can see them, (well ghost know that you can see them, a person who can see a ghost or has a high spiritual power has a different smell, *base on japanese ghost info.) anyway thanks for sharing your story...

-Aya
AthenaRules (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-24)
I honestly do not think that shadow people can harm you in any way. My friend sees them all the time (more on that in an upcoming story) and they never hurt her.
CounterClockwise (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
Shannanigans, I apologise for posting my own similar experience, I know you're looking for help and advice. 😐
CounterClockwise (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
I had these same visitations as a child from perhaps the age of 4 until I was 12, it occured on a nightly basis. I remember being terrified of going to bed because I knew what awaited me.

My experiences did not occur while I was asleep however. I would wake each night at whatever time and see it without fail, dark and looming, either heading towards my bed, walking away from it or usually standing beside it. Each time I would be fully awake. I will never be able to describe the sheer terror I felt each night.

I would will myself not to move or make a sound, terrified that if I did, it would somehow encourage this being to touch or attack me. I would will myself back to sleep, it's amazing what unearthly terror can do. I am relieved to say it never touched me once. I think I would have remembered if it had.

I shared a large room with my sister and two other cousins during this period of my life and no one else ever saw this dark entity. I quit talking about it out of fear of being ridiculed by the adults in the home who did not believe me. Yet they discussed other supernatural events that happened in the home with ease. I didn't understand why my pleas for help were shrugged off.

I once shared my experiences with someone I view as my mentor. He had similar experiences as a child. His thoughts on this issue were interesting.

He told me I was never touched because of "Fear" and that mirrors are often very fearful things and that these "creatures" were remnants of our energy form of what we might call "darkness". I'm sure most would find this hard to understand or accept but it's his take on it and I respect that.

Needless to say, I am happy these visitations stopped. An old great-grandmother was visiting and I shared my experiences and fears with her. She encouraged me to pray and put a bible under my pillow at night, which I definitely started doing that very night. Voila! I never saw it again.

I have had different supernatural experiences since then. But that's another story.
Clarity (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Thanks Jim that was quick.
As you can see from my story I could not get a single word out. I only thought " Oh my god help me " but when the words did not form from my mouth all that came out was " no no no ". If I could cast it away by mentioning anything else I would! Thanks again for your insight.
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Hi;

It certainly sounds demonic. Catholic Holy water and the namers of Jesus, Mary, and St. Michael the Archangel will hekp shed light. Say those names, and watch its reaction. Use the Catholic Holy water, especially at night. It will help. Best. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
Clarity (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
I respect your response IntruegedSceptic. The answer is no. I was not suffering from any form of sleep deprivation or any kind of astronomical stress at all. While I do respect your opinion, I must disagree towards the implications that this is a biological mental factor for various purposes. Although I do understand why you felt the urge to get that out of the way.

One of the reasons being that people, a collective whole of people, experience similiar things and describe the motions precise.Example; paralysis or not being able to look at the face of this shadowy figure or touch it? If it were stress, why is not the whole world having these visitors? Since the world is full of stressed out people. There is so many ways I can go about this.

Shadows have followed my mom and grandma for years. It was only a matter of time. Also my family has a history with paranormal activity.

Since this last post I have not come across it anymore. I hsve however changed my sleeping pattern when my fiance is away. This is the only lack of sleep I have developed since then and its not that extreme.

My focus goes back to what I came here for. And that is mainly for anyone to share anything that worked in getting rid of this and or just listen to their stories. I'm always happy to listen to any other theories on what this could be... But I will not entertain thoughts of it being out of stress factors etc. No offense! But I am beyond that theory thank you! 😊
IntriguedSceptic (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
I've posted a similar comment on another story.

Do you suffer from tiredness during the day? Lack of sleep? Stress? These factors can contribute to your subconscious' lack of "dream time". I'm no expert on the functions of the mind/brain but I believe it requires a certain amount of this dream-time to prepare itself for a new 24 hour cycle. Like any kind of cycle, it is performed as a renewing exercise e.g. The way a snake sheds its skin or an animals hibernation.

The mind not naturally, for want of a better term, cleaning itself could mean this dream time is creeping into your consciousness. It's nothing sinister. I'm not a great sleeper and I've had many an experience of waking up, sitting upright looking (and even gesturing) to something I think I see in the corner of the room. Every time I manage to snap out of it and it doesn't bother me but I understand how it can unnerve some people.

Good, regular relaxing sleep and your problems will disappear.
Clarity (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-14)
Hello to everyone 😊
My experience coincides perfectly with this thread. My first experience was about a month ago or so during the early AM hours when my partner just left for work. It occured within the next 20 minutes after he left, but ONLY lasted a few minutes, I Think. The second experience was worse and it happened a few days ago. My partner left for work at the PM hour I was in bed proceeding to go back to sleep when I was stuck in that awake/ asleep stage. I sensed something coming to the room and in my mind I KNEW it was happening again. The shadow is male, it feels male but not familiar to "our kind". I was lying in bed it sat next to my hip, both our hippings touching. At this point I was already paralysed, unable to move. I also get a very drowsy feeling inside me, a very heavy pressure over me. My eyes get so heavy to the point they feel they will close at any moment. The shadow leaned inward towards me, I could never ever see its face only from the waist down, my head can't hold up enough to see a face and even when I did it was blurred out. This thing drew itself closer to me not saying anything, I could feel its chest on mine and its face before me... My eyes were looking down, as my head felt too heavy to even lift. At this point in my head I told myself to say " God please help me God" But the words just could not form out of me. Instead I was able to barely and very heavily may I add, lift my right hand almost in slow motion, and pushed this thing away on the face. I pushed and I litterally said " no no no no ". Afterwhich THAT is what woke me up. Immediately after waking, I felt very light, the heavy pressure was lifted and I knew it was gone... I just did not know for how long. I truly do not wish for this thing to ever visit me again ever. The worst feeling in my life so far is being immobilised by this force. Please if anyone can reply to this I would appreciate it. Indeed I am taking the "smudging" idea seriously... My partner and I will do this soon. Does anyone else know of anything else that can be done? Also, we know cats are said to ward off evil spirits, we have since then gotten a cat. Not soley for this purpose, but we have just always wanted one and some companionship for when either me or my partner are away from each other 😁
Nora (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
Have you tried to use salt? That's the more used way to send harmful spirits away. If they don't, that's because they aren't there to make anything wrong. And perhaps it is parts of your dreams that folows you into his world. By the way, being scared is the best way to attract scaring things.
tasuma (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-01)
Have you did research on the first house where you started seeing the shadow people. See if it possible to find out if anyone died. Also did anyone close in your family die around the time you started seeing the shadow person (s).
GreenGly (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-29)
ooo I've also experienced that before,
Once when I was 7, Long story short, I could feel myself moving my limbs, but it wasn't happening, not a single muscle shifted until later on when I was trying to scream and kick myself awake.
If you want you could email me and I can maybe give a couple of suggestions or hopefully answers, but no garantees
Shannanigans707 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-29)
Thank you all for your comments. A few things came up for me after reading the comments. First- when I was younger I used to experience that feeling of being awake in my mind but can't move almost like what it would feel like to be In a coma? I would scream in my head to wake up and move a body part (cause that is the only way I could snap out of it) there was always a loud hum in my head that I could hear and feel vibrating through my body there was even a time I heard I woman humming a tune. Now that I'm older that dosent happen to me anymore but the dark figure visits has increased. The second thing is the house I was living in when the visits were at it's worst was located in a neiborhood called "Indian village" it got got that name because all of the streets were named after tribes and the streets were named after tribes because it supposedly used to be a Reservation or reservations were in the area. (I live in northern California) there is a creek running through the neighborhood which was right behind my house.
One of you said it feeds off of negative enegy but I feel like the person I am the people I surround myself wth are all postive energys. So if that's not the case, how and why do they choose the people they do to show themselves? What do they want?
Lupernikes (2 stories) (42 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-27)
they're real and intelligent, definately.

Djinn is the closest mythological interpretation, as are the Be
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-27)
Thanks Trudy! I'll admit to my own limits in that I am not as familier with arabic folklore as I'd like to be. I'll research Jinns and see what I can dig up.
Timothy (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-27)
You are not the only one who suffers from this. There was a time when I could feel it trying to take me over and invade me but I prayed hard and resisted, it slowly went away. I think the worst part of them is when they paralyze you and you get this feeling you are going to be killed in your sleep...
Timothy (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-27)
I was terrorized by these things as a child & suffer from sleep paralysis to this very day! I wrote a story on them if you get a chance check it out...
Trudy (92 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Dear Lone Wolf,

I forgot to say that the program about the Jinns was on Halloween of this year. So maybe you can look it up and get more information about the shadow people.
Trudy (92 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Dear Lone wolf,

I heard on a radio program, I think it is called coast to coast with Art Bell, that these shadow people could also be jinns. Jinns are spiritual beings from Arabic folk lore. The lady said that they seem to have ill intent for humans. What do you think?
ZiShu (281 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-26)
Yeah the same exact thing happens to me. I would wake up at around 3am and this shadow being walks towards my bed. I would be in the ethereal state (half awake half asleep) which feels somewhat like a dream. I am usually paralyzed as this happens. Sometimes they have red eyes, and one time it spoke to me saying "hey". I believe it is more than 1 attacking. The truth is that they are demons feeding off negative energies. Either way, they are bad spirits that project bad energy. Pray to God when this happens. It works for me, because they leave within 5 secs of me commanding them in God's name.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
Shadow people (Or Shadow Walkers as I call them) are becoming more common or they're simply being reported more often. My order has been tracking this phenomenon for a while now and we're honestly stumped. What we've figured so far is that they feed on fear. They'll usually only appear when their intended victim is alone to maximize the fear inducing effect of their presense. There are rare instances of actual attack. Our theory is that it's early recognition of the being and rapid removal. The origins of these shadow walkers can be traced back to shamaistic, native american culture. Where they come from or why is still unknown but the most effective method of defense has been "smudging" (there's an artical on it on this site). We're still in the process of getting more deffinative answers regarding shadow walkers but they are understandibly elusive. I'll favorite this story and keep an eye out for updates. If you can remember anything new, let us know. And if the situation escalates, don't keep it to yourself.
sandeescare (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
Hi, the same exact thing has happened to me if you read my story
"The man at the foot of my bed"
Before I lived in the house I am now I use to live in this other house that was haunted a lot! So if the figure isn't hurting you and its being going on for a long time it could be a relative of you just watching over you, but then again maybe not.
Look up sleep paralysis...
It can bring another opinion to the table 😁
jadediana (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-25)
That was probaly a shadow ghost. They have been reported to chase and some claim to have been attacked by these beings.

(but don't worry I think they are harmless)
Try talking to it. You can try finding more in formation about it by asking or just explain to it that you don't like it following you and you are afraid. (if you do so hes most likely to go away.) sometimes the spirits go away because they understand or they MiGhT stay.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: