You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Am I Hearing And Seeing Things That Don't Exist?

Real Ghost Stories

Am I Hearing And Seeing Things That Don't Exist?

 

In 2002, my parents had a baby, a little girl. Three months later, she died. They said it was SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), that she simply stopped breathing while she was sleeping. No pain. I was nine years old when she died.

For the next few weeks, I didn't actually believe that she was dead. Being so young, my mind just couldn't wrap itself around the concept that one moment, a person could be in your life, and the next, be gone. I was positive that it was just a dream that I would wake up soon. And it wasn't a desperate hope that it was a dream either. I was sincerely confident that what was happening was not real.

Shortly after her death, I woke up in the middle of the night, hearing a baby crying. I didn't even think of the fact that we no longer had a baby, and so I went back to sleep. The next morning when I told my mother, she started crying, and my dad took me aside and said, "You can't say things like that. You know she's gone." I was shocked to remember that, but I was positive that I had heard a baby cry. It was a distinct infant cry, different than from that of toddlers, children, or adults. Anyone who has been around an infant can verify that infants have a different cry than toddlers/older children. And there were no other babies in the house or even in the neighborhood. But of course, I couldn't keep saying that I HAD heard it, since it was obviously causing my family so much pain. None of my other siblings heard anything.

For about a month, I would intermittently hear a baby crying. I felt that I couldn't say anything, because it would make everyone sad. I was never creeped out at all or anything like that. It was almost comforting to hear. When I finally accepted and realized that my baby sister was dead, that it was no dream, that it was real, I stopped hearing the infant cries. This makes me wonder if it was just a figment of my imagination, if I was hearing a baby crying simply because I wanted to. But I can still remember it with absolute clarity and distinctness.

Other than that, I haven't experienced any paranormal activity that I know of. Sometimes, I see things in my peripheral vision, that I think nothing of, but if I happen to turn and look at it, there is nothing there. This has happened probably a dozen times since I was twelve I am sixteen now, but only once has it been a person. It's been things like a motorcycle driving next to my car, a flag waving in the wind, and sometimes indistinct movements that I couldn't identify. But all these things seem like they could be my imagination, or simply a coincidence. What do you think?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, michaela1993, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-30)
The notion scares me, is what I think.

A baby dead, and is crying for Momma. But Momma never comes to attend.

It horrifies me.
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
thank you for you story, I know one never gets over losing a loved one. We just learn to cope with it and I think your hearing your baby sister was your way of dealing with her passing. Especially being so young and not fully understanding the situation. I, like yourself am a born again and I grew up believing in ghosts and not I am told in church that they do not exist and that they are demonic entinties playing their usual tricks on our naive souls. I am still confused because I come from a family that is very in tune with nature. I hate using the word psychic because it cheapens the 'gift'.
I have just concluded for myself because at the end of the day that is what faith is, your own interpretation, that spirits do wonder the earth. I believe that everyone's spirit who has ever lived and passed is on earth resting. And that when Christ comes we shall all be awaken and stand before him who is most high to learn our fate. I don't thing we die and go to heaven because only a few have seen heaven and only a few will enter heaven. Some souls just can't rest due to some tragedy they may have suffered in the end.
My uncle is like John Edward- he hears and communicates to the dead on a daily basis. In our culture we believe the dead should be helped move on, for eg my mom passed away in a car accident and the family had to drive to the spot she died and my uncle was explaining to her what happened where she was and that we were taking her home with us. It was so fascinating to watch. He would laugh out of the blue and when asked what was funny he would say my mom just made a joke. He looks crazy half the time.
Sorry for going off the point...
... Which is, as much as I have been raised in this environment of slaughtering and I have decided to give my life to the Lord and as much as I respect the people of the cloth I have realised in life you take what you can use and you keep everything else at the back of your mind. Just incase. I have seen and heard too many accounts to disregard ghosts as a whole. But it's a personal decision. No one has all the answers.
see27burn (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-10)
This is odd, but I can relate to this.

I used to have a toy poodle when I was younger and lived with my parents. We kept her for about a year and then we started traveling too much to keep her so she was sold. Her name was Precious. After she was sold a couple days later I heard her barking at the other end of the house, and didn't even really think about how she was gone, and just went about what I was doing, until a little later. A couple days after that I came into my bedroom, turned around and Precious was standing there wagging her tail, than she was gone.
Yes, I can relate to this somewhat, even though it wasn't a sibling that had passed I really think it was Precious, somehow. Sorry to ramble on. Thank you for the story!

-meg
michaela1993 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
Thanks for your input, guys. I'm kind of torn here because I don't believe in ghosts. I'm a born-again Christian and I believe that at death, the souls of the deceased go immediately to heaven or Hell. But at the same time, I *know* that I heard/saw the things I did. But thank you for taking the time to read this and give me your opinion.
torabla (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-09)
I believe that your sisters spirit was helping you cope with the death. As you mentioned once you excepted the death you stopped hearing the baby cries. She has gone to the light at piece now. Bless your family for your loss.
michellelovesghosts (5 stories) (50 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
I absolutely believe in children/baby spirits. It breaks my heart but their little spirits could be lost and not know what's going on or where to go. I watched a powerful program one night about the many orphanges in the early 1900s and how their little souls still haunt the buildings after their death. They just don't know what to do? It made me cry. I wish someone would help them lead the way into the light and have peace ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
It was probably from both tramatic events coinsiding with one another. I remember when I first came to the realization of what death was. I was seven and for some reason it had came up at school. I doubt that the teacher handled the questions very well and several students went home in a state of shock. I asked my mom and then came to the realization that she would die one day and leave me, everyone would, and I surely would too. I can still remember that like it was yesterday. To loose a sibling, even though she was an infant and had been in your life such a short time, would have been devastating in and of itself but both of those together could bring about spending considerable time on the couch of a respected child psychologist. On the seeing things in your peripheal vision, that's normal. I really wonder how your parents came to terms with this though. Especially your mom. She might not have yet. You might consider sitting down with her and having a good heart to heart.
VampireLord (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
It is normal for something like this to happen after death of a loved one. I had it myself after my mothers grandma died. I woke up the night after and heard here say something but couldn't figur out what it was.
Soldier1 (5 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
I had that happen to me as well with my Dads brother's passing. He was killed on a dirt bike and I refused to believe his death even after the funeral. I would smell the exhaust from the bike at times and would have strange dreams about him and I swear once my whole family and I saw him at wal-mart. Sounds funny but it's true.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: