You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Matthew - My Son's Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Matthew - My Son's Friend

 

This ghost story is true, it is not owned or copyrighted by anyone, and I authorize you to use it as you see fit.

My ghost story: The names and places in this story have been changed to protect those involved. This is a true story.

In 1995 my family and I moved into a rent house in a small town. We knew the very recent history of the house. A teenage boy had passed away in the house 2 weeks before we moved in. He had hung himself in the bedroom that was now my two little boy's rooms. My son Zach was 3 and my son Jake was 18 months. I have never been afraid of ghosts, nor freaked out about living in a house someone has died in.

At first only a few strange things happened, like lights flickering and TV going off and on. Nothing too unusual. Then it got very weird. My son Zach came out of his room one afternoon with burns all around his neck. When I asked him what he had been doing he said just playing. I asked him to show mommy how he was playing. He took me into his room where he had unplugged the lamp and began to wrap the lamp cord around his neck and twist over and over. I knew the boy had hung himself with the cord to the blinds. He was found hanging from the closet. I took everything out of Zach's room that he could wrap around his neck. At this time I had no idea how Zach at 3 knew how to do this.

A few days later the boys were playing in their room and I peeked in to check on them, they did not know I was there. Zach and Jake were both on the floor facing the closet. Zach had his arms folded telling Jake, there he is. Don't you see him? He is right there; they were both staring at the closet. At this point I decided it was no longer a good idea for Zach to sleep in the room since he could see him. Jake only 18 months showed no evidence of seeing him...yet. Within a few days of having Zach sleep in the nursery (I was pregnant at the time) and Jake still sleeping in their room he began to point at the closet and say uh oh from his bed. Now both boys were taken out of that room. They could play in there during the day but at night the door was closed and no one was allowed in until the next morning.

We were eating supper one night and out of the blue Zach asked me who that man is. I asked him what man, and he just kept saying that man. As 3 year olds do, he lost interest before he would really tell me who he was talking about. That night in the bathtub I decided to try again. I asked Zach if he played with anyone in his room. He said, Jake. I said besides Jake. He said Matthew. That was the boy's name that died in the house. It is important to mention we never talked about what had happened there, and my boys had no idea about anything or the boy's name. I asked Zach if he was big like daddy or little like Zach. He said he is big like daddy. Matthew was 6 foot 2 according to the owners of the house. Zach then began to describe Matthew in detail and very accurately according to the owners of the house. I had never seen Matthew but evidently Zach did on a daily basis.

Remember I mentioned I was pregnant, so was our cat. I would take Zach outside daily and we would touch the cats belly and say babies and then touch my belly and say baby. I really wanted him to be ready and accepting of his baby sister that would be born in the next several weeks. Our cat had her kittens, 3 of them and I was still pregnant excited Zach now sees her babies and getting excited about his baby sister. Everything with Matthew had been pretty quiet... Until.

A few weeks after the cat had her kittens I had a doctors appointment. It was the middle of the summer and very very hot. I checked the kittens to make sure they were okay before I left to go to the doctor. Kittens and momma were doing fine. I went to the doctor, was only gone about 45 minute and went back home. When I got home Zach was lying on the couch in the front of the house and I walked to the back of the house to my bedroom where my husband was. When I got in there he mouthed to me that the kittens were gone. I asked him what he meant by gone barely above a whisper and he again mouthed to me the heat must have gotten them. I was about to protest when we heard Zach from the front of the house yell "I killed them ". There is no way he could have known what we were talking about. I went in the living room and he was sitting straight up on the couch and said "I killed them" again. I went in his room and got a stuffed animal and said show mommy what you did. He took the stuffed animal from me walked out to the front porch and threw it against the brick wall and picked it up and put it in the box. He had done that to all 3 kittens and placed them back in the box with their mother. I FREAKED out! He killed the kittens that I had compared to his baby sister. He was 3! He showed no remorse whatsoever at having done that.

His sister was born a couple of weeks later and I would not leave him alone with her at all. Not even 5 minute to go into another room.

Again things got quiet with Matthew. Some people I worked with knew the history of my house; however they did not know anything of the recent events with my son. Halloween they wanted to play the Ouija Board at my house. I agreed but told them I would NOT touch it. I don't touch those things at all! They brought it in and tried to talk to Matthew but the pointer would not move. They asked if I would just talk and they would keep their hands on it. I asked if he was there and the pointer moved to yes. I then asked what he and Zach play in his room. He spelled out blocks, which is pretty generic and can be easily guessed by the ones holding the pointer. He then spelled out house, Zach was always walking around saying "I am the mommy and you are the daddy". The last thing he spelled out was the most absolute. He spelled out boat. Zach always took all of his toys out of the toy box and pretended it was his boat. When I asked why he was there he said we were his family and he was protecting us. At that time I knew we were moving in a few days and I asked if he was going. He said he didn't know if he could.

We moved and never spoke of Matthew again... Until

When Zach was about 14 we were in the car and out of the blue he asked me whatever happened to the boy that used to live with us. My blood ran cold. I asked him what boy trying to be casual. He then said not to be bringing up bad stuff, but the boy that helped him kill the kittens. I was not sure how to respond. I just started throwing out names, knowing none of them were right. After a few times of Zach saying no to the names, I said "Matthew"? And he said " yeah, him. What happened to him?" I had to tell Zach his friend was in fact a ghost. He can still describe him as accurately today as he did 15 years ago. Zach has grown up to a remarkable young man with no more incidences like when he was with his "friend" Matthew.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amrasmom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-13)
I'm glad someone commented on this post and brought it into the recent updates. Because holy COW this story is FREAKY! 😨
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Wardo: What app are you talking about? I'd like to know so we can contact the server. Thanks for the info! 😊
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Hey there. Just wanted to inform you that your story is on the ghost story app. If you didn't post it, someone stole your story. Just an FYI... This is one of my favorites so I recognized it immediately, word for word on the app!
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
DanteDevil why would she make up that story about the kittens if your just here to disbelieve why are you even here. You think that's made up then wait until you read some of the real horror film fiction on this site
Gamma (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
Wow...I'm new here, but mainly I just signed up to give what limited knowledge I have on the afterlife. He killed the kittens right?...Did he EVER mention anything that could suggest there was another entity in the home? Matthew DID say that he was there to protect you, so Maybe? Anyways, That's about all I got.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-27)
This is a Creepy I am a cats lover myself I love cats and I would cry if my son or daughter help a ghost kill a cats I will be mad at the ghost and I don't know why he does that poor kittys.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-12)
Quite an unnerving experience!

I wish to ask you a question not about the incident itself but about your son's "perception" of that past event. You say your last "discussion" about Mathew was when Zack was about 14... Why did he ask you about the boy who "helped" him kill the kittens? Please don't be offended by my asking the particular question but how did he feel about that incident as he grew older? Was he disturbed at all or did he just put it behind him? Have you, since that last talk, asked him whether he sees or hears Mathew?
leeebling (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-11)
Very good story although rather disturbing! Very believable unlike some stories on this site.
vicuttie8 (7 stories) (92 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-10)
Amazing story. Its veryintersting how he remembered matthwew after all those years!

Tori ❤
honey91 (14 stories) (80 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-08)
Thanks for the story! I enjoyed it!

I think it was a good idea for you all to move. That is very creepy. The cord around the neck thing was very creepy. I'm glad your son was okay.

How did your son react when you told him the cold hard truth about his ghost friend?
fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-08)
Amrasmom did matthew wrap the cord around your sons neck? Did he say matthew was trying to hurt him.
cookie90 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-08)
wow, what a weird story. This is the creepiest thing I have read on here. It's a good thing you moved, or Mathew could have done damage to your sons. Thank God you left.
dalva8087 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
This is one of the creepiest stories I've read so far. I got goosbumps at the part where the kittens die (so sad) and your son had no remorse...that's scary. I'm glad no more incidents have happened since then.

Dee
DanteDevil (5 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
mhetew was evil? The 3 kittens die I also don't like that part and its not true 😆
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
Wow, I find this story very disturbing. Thank God you moved out of that house. Thanks for posting.
SGT-SPOOKY (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
I agree with Bri... This is definitely one of the creepiest I've read to date...
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
A very scary story. Thank God you moved. I have to say it broke my heart that the kittens did not survive.

Surya
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-07)
That is by far one of the most creepy stories I have yet to read on this site. I would have been out of that house so fast! Great account, and I am glad all is well with you and your family now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: