You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Why Did Only I See It?

Real Ghost Stories

Why Did Only I See It?

 

This was one of the scariest moments of my life, scarier then when I was almost hit by a car. I live in an area with lots of forest, about several hours away from a large town. This took place two days before New Years 2010. (So pretty recent!)

Me and my family decided that we were going to go to Sheridan Lake for a vacation, (We live close by) and we packed our bags and left. I know the Ebco cabins, where we were staying, like the back of my hand. I grew up there. It was said that cougars were moving down to the area, along with wolves. My mom and dad, and my friend Tara's parents went down to 100 mile to go look around and we stayed. We sat on the porch with the sun shining on us. I just looked up for a second and immediately told Tara to get inside. She did, along with me. Tara casually walked inside, while I slowly backed my way in.

"Why did you tell me to go inside? I'm tired! And why did it take you so long to get inside?" She complained. "C-Cougar..." I shuddered.

I honestly, absolutely LOVE cougars; I never loved any other animal as much as them ever since I was little (except for pets). So graceful and sleek, and I've been around them before. (Strangely, most people don't encounter cougars in their whole life, but I've seen them LOTS) But I wasn't comfortable around this one. For it was standing right in front of me. Touching my leg it was so close. It eyes were like the sun, so... Bright.

"What cougar?" Tara asked. And I pointed to the place where it was. But, it wasn't there.

"I didn't see a cougar." She continued. "But it was right there!" I yelled. "You saw it! Tell me you saw it! You looked directly where it was!" But Tara protested. She never saw it. Even though I sat directly beside her and she looked right where it was, and she didn't just glance there, she looked right where it was for several minutes.

So, why did I see a cougar that Tara didn't see? And how did it get away without making a sound of it's footsteps on the deck? (It's almost impossible to make a quiet get-away on that deck, including a cougar is very heavy and the footsteps echo since it's a raised deck and below it is hollow)

I'm quite scared about this. How come I always encounter cougars, do I attract them somehow? Again, why did only I see it and why didn't it maul me?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SunStar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bandet888 (86 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-25)
You were sitting side by side with Tara. Is it possible that even though Tara's face may have been facing the cougar but maybe her eye's were looking in another direction? Sitting side by side I don't think you could see her eyeballs if you were looking forward. And once you two went inside Tara asked "Why did you tell me to go inside? I'm tired. And why did it take you so long to get inside" Maybe when Tara was talking was the precise moment the cougar left and you couldn't hear the cougar leaving through Tara's talking so when you answered her the cougar was already gone. Just a thought.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-17)
SunStar,
I agree with Jazzyjay. The cougar is your Totem or power animal. One day while meditating my own power animal appeared looming large right behind me. She exuded an immense strength of which I felt utmost respect. No, mine isn't a cougar but it has been my lifetime favorite wild animal.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Yeah, And I have a few questions to add to the quickly filling bucketful of them 😊... Maybe I should read through a few of the other posts, but I do not think I am going to this time.
HOW did you not HEAR it approach you?
For THAT matter, how was it able to get close enough to touch your leg without warning you OF it's advancement out of hiding? Where was your MIND at this point in time?
Cat's move by stealth. I am sure you have been able to witness at least ONE of these precious creatures on the "hunt" (even if it WAS just a blade of grass they were intent on catching). As they are predators, I should think that if this one had its sights on YOU as it's next meal, it would have pounced up that last few steps as it WAS close enough to touch your leg.
Here is where the paranormal questions come in... Do you recall it's scent? Do you recall hearing it breathe? Do you recall if it were "purring"? What was it doing as it allowed you to see the brightness of it's eyes? When you "backed out" of the situation, did it inch up closer to you, as if trying to keep you at short distance? How about when you stood up, how did it respond?
Besides the fact that Tara did not see this cougar (which, if I am reading the description of how you two were sitting on that porch right, it should have been really hard to miss, unless she were "lost in thought", or looking the other way the entire time), WHAT causes you to think this may have been a ghostly cougar?
Thank you.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
The cougar that yiou saw might be amountain spirit and it wants to tell you something or want to touch you... Just an opinion any way since here in our country we have a belief that if you see an animal especially near a forest and it disappeared without trace we believe it as a mountain or a forest spirit. 😊
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
SunStar: I can sum your question up for you. The reason you always see cougars and no one else seem to encounter them is that the beautiful cougar is your Totem animal!
We all have our Guardian Angels, Spirit Guides and we also have our wonderful, magnificient, Totem Animal who is ever loving and so very faithful just like the rest of our Angels who protect us. There are many animals in spirit form who watch over us and protect us on a daily basis too.

Of course you were a little frightened by it's appearance, it caught you off guard, you weren't expecting to see something like that, but believe me, if anybody or anything would have come up on you to try to do you harm, you would have had the opportunity to see your Totem animal in action protecting you from hurt, harm and danger. This animal is one of your protectors and is always around you. That's why you feel such a strong attraction to them!
Be encouraged, you have a highly intelligent, sleek, strong, muscular and phenomenal animal as your Totem. I hope this will help you understand what's going on with you!

God bless you!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
I agree that you probably really saw a living cougar. Is there something that made you believe it was ghostly other than the friend not seeing it? Cats can have some pretty bright eyes when light reflects off of them also, or even just still. I had a cat once that had the brightest yellow eyes I ever saw. I could almost swear that I could see them in the dark at times. Anyway, just curious as to why you thought it may have been ghostly (because it very well could be). Maybe you have a knack for cats or something, who knows? I hope you can find answers that you are seeking. God bless!
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
SunStar, (like your username)

I have no doubt at all that you saw a cougar. I think that you should NEVER stall to retreat to your home or another safe place when they get that close.

I've always loved cats. Growing up at home many years ago I think we had two adult females, and 12 kittens at the same time. My poor dog used to layout on a shaded porch, and all the kittens would walk on him, and sleep on him, and play with his tail, and rub against his muzzle. He had this expression I will never forget. It was something like, "Why me?"

There was one time I got a chance to handle a young lion, not a cub, (bigger than most dogs), he seemed very docile for a lion. His fur was very tough and very dense. Nothing you'd want to cuddle with and pet. Nothing like a dog. It would take considerable force to pierce his fur. Talk about excitement..., I made it a point to not stay to long. Oh, he also had a remarkable set of fangs and claws.

Anyway, I learned that cats walk very quietly, not like horses, dogs, or people. They have very nice padding on their feet. And they don't get in a hurry, especially when they are stalking..., they are more concerned with avoiding being detected.

And like most predators, they may stalk the very young, or the very old, or the infirm..., no good getting into a fight with anything that can fight back, possibly getting injured in the process.

I just recalled that in some martial arts the students are taught to (walk like the tiger) stepping on the ball of their feet (near the toes), and to avoid stepping on their heel, if they have a heel..., because doing that makes noise that can easily be detected. I practiced for a while, and I almost got it..., it takes a lot of strength and grace. It is physically very demanding. Besides, I'm no hunter or fighter.

Cougars in the wild are always hunting, they don't want your attention. THEY WANT TO EAT YOU!

If you are living where the population is very sparse, it might be wise to carry a gun (a rifle would be better) for protection. You don't necessarily need to kill the cougar, just shoot close enough to scare it away..., then keep your eyes wide open. Remember, they were there before you..., animals mark their territory and intruders are dealt with harshly.

So, if they enter your living space, you need to warn them as well. Someone, or something may get seriously hurt. If you're still a little girl, they just might drag you away after they maul you, or maybe your dog, or little brother or sister.

Search the internet for predators in your area. And prepare yourself accordingly. We all would miss you very much if you were hurt or missing. ❤
DanteDevil (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
your imagination but I like your story and the cougar didn't attack ya?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: