You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man On The Road

Real Ghost Stories

The Man On The Road

 

This happened four years ago, in my hometown Somerset West in South Africa. When I use to visit one of my girl friends, I would leave her house late at night after spending basically the whole day with her. As I could drive, I would always take a relaxed drive home. On going home there is one specific road that I can take that would lead me straight onto the main road and to my house, but for some reason I always chose not to go down that road and would always drive 5 blocks out of my way to reach my house.

On one particular evening my ex-boyfriend, Kevin, came to fetch me from my girl friend's house and we were going to go to the mall to watch a movie. Once he had picked me up and we were on our way, I noticed that we were heading for the road which I usually avoided. On not wanting to say anything, because I was embarrassed and thought I would sound like an idiot, I shut up and let him go onto the road that I had always dodged. As we were nearing a curve in the road, I noticed something in the middle of the road, positioned flat out. I didn't say anything but as we got closer the headlights starting shaping the image in front of me and to my horror I realized that it was a young man lying on his side, spread out with his back to us in the middle of the road. I started screaming and telling Kevin to stop the car, but we were right on top of this man, and the next thing I could feel the car going over this person, and I could hear the noises of the car hitting something underneath. Through all of this I was grabbing the steering wheel and telling Kevin to stop the car. He braked and started yelling at me what my problem was, to which I asked him "Did you not just see what happened? We just ran over someone!" and he looked at me like I was completely crazy and said that there was no one in the road at all and we didn't go over anything.

He got out the car and searched the road we had just driven over and there was nothing in the road... He hadn't even seen anything in the road or felt anything or heard anything.

I do believe I saw something maybe a spirit of some kind. I can explain him exactly, from the shorts he was wearing to his jersey to his pitch black long hair...

On reading some of the stories on this site, I must say that I felt scared to the point of crying - which I was doing like a baby. I originally thought it may be due to fright of what happened, but could these feelings possibly be what the person may have felt at their last minute?

Is there anyway that one can find out about accidents - possibly tragic - that have happened on roads? What do you guys think of this?

Other hauntings by Nikita

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nikita, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nottingham (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-21)
Hi Nikita

I am interested in turning your story into a creative non- fiction piece- please let me know if you are interested

Many thanks and hope to hear from you
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Sorry to get back so late. For those of you who asked which street this was on. It was on Immelman Road going onto Lourensford Road in Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa. If you live around this area, why not take a drive and see if this happens with you?

Thanks
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
Hi Khloros, thanks so much for wanting to help. The man,, judging from his body, looked to be around early 20's. His hair had a wave to it and reached the nap of his head. His back was to me, unfortunately, but he was lying on his side and from what I could tell he was an extremelly tall guy - I'd guess 1.6 or 1.7. He was wearing shorts that reached up to his knees (they had a pattern on them - not too sure what exactly) and had both of his black takkies on. The jersey he was wearing was a navy blue, thick wool polar neck style... And that's about the best I can describe him as. I hope this helps.
Khloros (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
great story you even have me puzzled and I'm rather good at the spiritual kinds of things. I'm going to go hit some of my books later and ill come back to you if I can find some more information on what happened to you. Though it would help me greatly if you can discribe the man that you "ran over"
judz32 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
I enjoyed reading your story; it has a lot of interesting points, but I don't have much to say.
Nordic (44 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
That would be great, Nikita. Thanks! I'd like to take a drive there sometime soon. 😁
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
Thanks Nordic, I don't know what the street was called to be honest, but as I want to go there one night this weekend I will take note of the name and let you know:) I may just take my camera with and see what happens...
Nordic (44 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
Hi Nikita, interesting story. Which street is it? I live in Stellenbosch, and I visit Somerset West and Strand quite often. In terms of finding out about fatal accidents, I am afraid that our libraries aren't as helpful as those in America. It seems that one would be able to find records of homeowners, deaths, etc., which would have been great here. However, we're not that lucky. I think the best bet would probably be to try the Department of Transport, as they must have records of all deaths in traffic-related accidents.
Shayliha (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
Hey there...

Great story! Loved reading it...

I'm also from SA, but way North in Limpopo Province... I've heard a lot of stories from the Cape and appaerntly there are many more hauntings there as from where I'm from. That's why I love reading stories from South African writers on this site...!

BTW, I would have also been scared to bits if something like that happened to me!

Keep well 😉
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
Thanks for the comments:)

[at] Darkness and blue_raven80: I don't know why I always avoided this road, it would just be a feeling preventing me from going down there. You know when your parents tell you not to touch a hot stove, so you don't...almost like that, somehow I just knew that I shouldn't go down that road... Is that strange?
I haven't been down that road at night again, but I never thought of it being a residual haunt. Perhaps on the weekend, I may take a friend or two with me one night and see if the same thing occures... I'll let you two know. Thanks for this - it really helps:)
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
blue_raven80 Brought up a good point why did you avoid this particular road? And yes it does seem as if it is residual haunt.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Hi! I have question, why do you avoid the road by the way? It could actually be residual of what happened to the man on the road.
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Thanks BadJuuJuu, that sounds like an idea actually - our library here isn't well stocked, but I'll give it a shot:)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Maybe your local library would have newspapers on file you could look through. Would be pretty time consuming, but might yield some info.
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Thanks Kamui - At the time it wasn't something I wanted to happen, but I am glad that it happened... I am glad that I am open to the spiritual world. Thanks:)
kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
wow sure this story really...geez... (goosebumps!) I've always wanted to experience that though... Been reading stories about road ghosts but hey this story is really something, I've bookmarked it and I will share it with my friends. Again nice story, looking forward to read more of your stories. God bless!
Nikita (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Thanks jessysteyn,
I agree our country is beautiful, I am based in Cape Town and there aren't that many ghost stories here with regards to roads... But it is comforting to hear a similar story from someone in the same country:) I will do some more research but you are right to find out any information is relatively difficult.
Thanks for the reply
jessysteyn (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Hey there! Firstly I am so excited to read a story from SOUTH AFRICA! I also Stay here, man we have a stunning country don't you think?😆 😁

ANYWAY! I can totally relate to what you are saying. I stay in Johannesburg, and there is a road called Beyers Naude, that I hate driving on at night too. About two years back I was also driving with my boyfriend we were comming from the movies strangly enough, and I first saw a dog run across the road and into the field and as I looked up we drove Through a man. Both my boyfriend and I saw this. But knowing that we did not HIT anything we just carried on driving, and cause of the history of the road and Because the road is close to a Squatter camp a lot of people have died on that road.

I am not sure if you can find out about accidents and deaths on our raods to the detail that we would want, but if you do find anything please let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your "warm" winter all depending on where in South Africa you are...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: