You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost Living In My House

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Living In My House

 

I've browsed a few stories of other people and I've gotten a little more comfortable with the idea of sharing, but, I'm still hesitant because I'm a bit worried about offending my new otherworldly friend.

It began roughly eight years ago when I moved from Waycross Georgia to Smyrna Delaware shortly after the first 'break' with my now ex-husband, although I suspect the house was haunted when I moved in. Basically I picked a nice little two bedroom 1.5 bath home, nothing fancy in order to try to get some peace and sort out my own life. When I'd first toured the house it really never felt strange or different just a bit colder than normal and since it was older made a few strange noises. I purchased the house shortly after touring and moved in almost immediately. At first everything seemed normal for a person who just moved, the whole getting used to a new house thing, but I noticed a few strange things. You never felt alone, there was always the feeling of someone or something being with you- and sometimes even a few rogue touches here and there that made you look in certain directions.

The presence never felt malevolent or uncomfortable instead it seemed to be curious and almost entirely interested in me moving in. I started to notice times when the air around me would get really cold or it would feel like someone was watching me or hear things that sounded just so distant and as if it were trying to communicate. I started embracing the fact that I might've had a ghost, so on a chilly Thursday morning in April 2004 I started talking randomly. Just nonchalantly asking questions and trying to communicate with the presence in my living room. At first there was no reply, but after a period of weeks it began answering my questions with tapping sounds. I hadn't figured out his name but I found out that he was a male older than 35 whom had passed away not far from the house. I tried to figure out his name but I ended up just calling him- "Friend" because he wasn't fond of me trying to rename him.

Around October 2008 the divorce proceeding with my husband began as per my husband, after we failed to rekindle our 'spark', I began to show symptoms of depression and at times I thought about killing myself. I spent less and less time in public and more time crying in my room, it even seemed as though my ghost friend had left. One night out of sheer stupidity I went downstairs and began playing with a box-cutter, not cutting myself, just staring at the edges and trying to think of reasons why I could possibly be so bad that my husband would leave me. I was just too messed up to feel the warm and familiar sensation of my ghostly resident; I did however feel what I assumed to be his hand on my arm.

For an entire 4 hours I cried sitting on the kitchen floor with the feeling of an arm wrapped around me and some strange whispering noise that seemed to be lingering in the back of my mind. I started seeing a therapist to help ease the transition of my new relationship status, and my ghostly friend is still around. I talk to him in the mornings, watch TV, and sometimes try to learn more about him... But I'm afraid he'll go away if I learn too much about him.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a friendly ghost, but I just don't know if there's anything I should do or if I should just let this go on. My only complaint is that when I go to sleep he tends to open doors and not close them (he's very preferential to my bedroom closet door for whatever reason). I guess I'm worried that he might be malevolent in disguise, never really had any ghostly visits before.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Delaware

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nisaras, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

GhostIntentions (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Hello, my name is Joshua Mooney and I am the founder of a paranormal investigation team. I have read the information you provided and I am very interested in your story. Have you ever thought about having a paranormal team come in for an investigation. You can find more information at ghostintentions.com

Please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Ghostintentions [at] gmail.com
Brianna_Patrica (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-07)
Yeah, when I lived in my old house, there was a bunch of freindly spirits, (not as close as you are to him) that didn't bother us unless it was by accedent. But there were more bad spirits. You should just let it be. You can do whatever you want. Just make sure you don't think that he's a demon, or something like that. Because don't think that unless he tries to hurt you. If you think that and he's good, your ghostly friend will go away...
-Brianna ❤
Evan4Life (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
FOLLOW UP TO PREVIOUS MESSAGE one more thing I did have a friendly ghost during a time of depression it was my great grandfather. I was so sad and he was a good companion but I realized more every day I was being selfish and denying his right in heaven so I told him to not worry about me and go to god where he belongs one day I never saw him again (yes I saw his apparition but the air was warm and comfortable and I was unable to be scared)
Evan4Life (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
it may not seem bad but I would watch out. Demons come out as the good guys as first then they attack you harm the ones you love and in some casses even kill you. I would check out the history of the house for satanic worship if this "spirit" starts to harm you call a catholic preist immidietly don't deal with this problem on you own I pray for you and yes it could be your gurdian angel or a nice ghost (Oh My God Casper) but don't use a ouiji board or automatic writing I don't believe in phycics but you could try one of them if you want
karend41 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-05)
It doesn't sound like it is malevolent. If he has been there this long and has not manifested as malevolent, he is probably there to protect you. Heck he could even be your Guardian Angel, they come around in times of dire stress. Mine came around when my daughter was a baby and I was a single mom not getting much sleep.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-03)
oldgeorge: Thank you for your explanation on this it was very insightfull, it is great to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions on this.

Thank you

Dan
oldgeorge (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-03)
Hi Dan,

In my experience, the closet issue has more to do with the disposition of the spirit. Very often, spirits act in houses where they do not 'belong' or have rights. So, they will 'hide' in the attic and other places where they will not occupy the same space as the rightful owners. They only come out when seeking attention, trying to take possession of the property or have been given rights to manifest.

The typical cupboard door is light enough for a human soul to move to gain attention, as opposed to moving your keys or a picture frame, which you will more often than not ignore or attribute to something else.

Human spirits generally are seeking attention to get help with something in our world that will allow them to be at rest, be it prayers or fixing a problem. Demonic spirits generally seek human contact for a 'relationship.' They are highly seductive and dishonest. Human souls have better places to be than hanging out with the living, so one ought to be highly suspect of 'wandering souls,' which is why virtually all cultures have taboos about contacting them.

Basically, something manifesting only in the closet can usually be evicted by the owner with a little prayer and lots of persistence. However, things that manifest throughout the house have a greater hold, and those things that will share the room with you take lots of work.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-02)
oldgeorge: As soon as you mentioned the closet I automatically recalled that people have had hundreds of experiences that have something involving a cupboard or closet. They believe them to be portals for the spirit the same with mirrors and a few other things, I would like to hear what your thoughts are on this?

Cheers

Dan
oldgeorge (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-02)
I would urge you to reconsider why 'someone' would want to live in a closet when other options are available... Just think abou it from a common-sense perspective. I have seen these things be very patient and enter people's lives very gradually.

Here is an experiment: some evening, start praying to God for your ghost. Ask the angels to come and minister to your 'friend.' Then observe what happens.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-02)
I NEVER "push" Christianity. Ever. It was simply a suggestion which we are all free to make here. You may want to re-read my comment OPLALEONE. 😊

~LSD~
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-02)
I advice always is to just let things alone unless the spirit turns malevolent or destructive. As long as things are going smoothly... Let it be.
MintLoria (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-02)
Hey.
It's not only you, who has had a 'friendly' ghost. 😊
But the question is Are you comfortable around with him?
If you are.
Then, I think It's okay to stay with him.
He hasn't ever tried to hurt you.
But if such things start to happen.
THen you'll have to take some action.
opaleone (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
Best not to push the christianity issue in my opinion. Maybe he was an atheist, or belived in FSM...
Anyway, the point is that if you're happy he's there (and he totally seems like a "good" ghose) and you don't want him to leave, then why nit pick over details like religion?
whalo83 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
sorry to hear about youre devorce now would be a good time for true friends to be around you perhaps a few girls night out or in. You need those friends to laugh and cry with and friends who will listen and friends who don't stop talking lol.

Either way you get the desired effect of takeing youre mind off the divorce but try not to depend to much on the ghost and lucky you because you have a nice ghost I would give anything to have what you have instead of what I have.

Wish you all the best and remember... There is always someone worse off than youre self as my dear mum always says...lol
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
I'm so sorry to hear about your pain!, I broke up with someone I really loved few months ago and I think I can relate to what you are feeling, 😢, glad that you have your friend ghost to keep you bit of company, 😳

All the best,

Claudia
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
Thanx for sharing. You tell this story well. About this ghost maybe being deceiving is a good concern. You can try to ask him if he is friends with Jesus & then you'll know the truth. If he is bad he with be disgusted by Jesus' name, if he isn't than good deal! LOL! I truly hope that he is a friend, I know how lonely a divorce can be at times 😕 I don't know your beliefs & I don't want to offend but if its any comfort I do tell you this; Jesus is with us always. We're not alone 😊
Bless you & yours. & keep us posted.

~LSD~
buckle123 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
i have a friendly ghost Human, and I have a ghost Dog and Cat. Maybe they died together or something. I will write about it when I can submit it.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
I don't think he is disguising himself as kind. Were he only pretending to be kind, he would not have stopped you that time with the box cutter. As to the doors being left open, that pretty much goes with the territory of an intelligent haunting. You could try asking him to leave them closed, but your best bet is probably to simply accept the open doors as a part of living in that home. As long as it's interior doors only that are open, I wouldn't worry about it.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
I have a ghost living in my house, and I believe that she is a friendly one. My parents usually see her mainly but I have seen her once, and she looks like me and my sister. Long blonde hair and she seems playful like she just wants a friend.

I know how you feel and I am now used to it.

Princess123 x ❤
galvon (142 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-01)
sounds like the ghost realy cares and wouldn't leave you anytime soon.

Though some ghostly relationschips can be dangerous as a spirit mee get to attached and get jealous over others.

But so far he has tried to calm you and help you with a lot.

Like he knows hes dead but that he has a feeling to care about someone.

Perhaps he just loves to help others.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: