You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Could It Be?

Real Ghost Stories

Could It Be?

 

May 24th of this year, 2010, marks the 9 year anniversary of my cousins' death. His name was Luke. He was on his way to his own high school graduation when he over corrected behind the wheel, went into the other lane, and got hit head on by another driver. The road that he was killed on, Highway 87, located in St Croix Falls, WI is a very "popular' road when it comes to fatal car accidents. He was just a few miles away from the school when it happened, and he died immediately at the scene. I wasn't able to make it to his wake or funeral since I don't take that kind of thing well, so I visited his grave for the first time a few days after he was buried in 2001.

A week ago, I was on my way home from work around 11pm, and I had to pass the site where he died in order to get to my house, since there is no other road that would take me there. As I was driving down the road and coming up to where his accident took place I noticed that as soon as I was taking the corner, the headlights of my car shone almost directly on his cross/flowers, with his name on them, then I saw someone with their back facing towards me and the road just standing there facing his cross. I knew it was a male but I couldn't see his face. All that I did notice was that he was wearing a red flannel shirt and blue jeans. I didn't know what to think of all of this since it was so late at night, no other cars were in sight, and I couldn't think of anybody that would be out there at that time of night.

I was a little spooked so I raced home, about 5 more miles from where this sighting took place, and tried to clear my head. I got the courage to tell my sister about what I had seen a few days later. I told her everything that I saw that night. She didn't believe me until I mentioned that the person that I saw was wearing a red flannel shirt. Since my sister did attend his wake and funeral, she told me that was what Luke was wearing on the day that he died and that was what he was buried in. I couldn't have possibly known that since the last time I seen him alive was about two weeks before he died.

Was it Luke that I saw?

Why was he facing towards his cross?

If it was him, why did it take 9 years later for me to see him?

I drive by his site to get home every day and nothing has ever happened before.

Why now?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wheeler51106, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-30)
Im not sure what could have brought on his appearance. If you were close to him maybe he missed you and wanted you to see him or he was just wandering. I hope Luke will somehow find peace sincerely, twelve year old haunted by paranormal being Katherine ❤
aid (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-27)
how about you investigate? I did it once at my school bathroom.
Psychicfamiliymoments (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-26)
Was there anything special that happened in his life that was on that particular date? If so maybe he came back to the sight to remind himself of that special thing and you just happened to be there. I am 12 years old, and have had a ghostly experience, but nothing more. My cousin has had a lot though, and I'm very close to her, and I love to research the paranormal
ghostlygirl3512 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-19)
I think that since Luke had a sudden death, that he could be a wondering spirit.
Spirits generally haunt one place because that's where they died. But maybe your cousin dosent "haunt" a location, but simply wanders?
It could be that he was looking as his site of death to find answers. Maybe it was just coincedence that he was there at the same time you were, or maybe he wanted you to see him.
Who knows? I just hope that your cousin finds peace.

-Death dosent mean 'The End' it means a whole new beginning-

Blessed be
Lolli ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-13)
I am just going to take a shot at one of your questions.
Spiritual time is NOT human time. For Spirits, there is no need to run by the clock, and they do not. Nine, almost ten years could be as a blink in Spiritual time.
There are many thoughts on why they wait to be seen. One of them being the timing just is not right for those they come to visit.
Wa-do.
Olddog (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-10)
I believe you saw your cousin. Twenty-nine years ago, on almost the tenth anniversary of my grandmother's death, I saw her ghost while visitng my parents. I was walking by their bedroom, and glancing in the room I saw my grandmother sitting on the bed. She was still as stone, as solid as any normal, living person. She was staring straight ahead, and did not look at me, say anything, or act like she was aware of me. I was so shocked I ran downstairs to get my mother. When I told her I had just seen "Grandma" upstairs, she startled me by asking the strangest question: "What was she wearing?" I thought that was a stupid question after being told something so extraordinary, but I answered that she was wearing a red print dress. "I've seen her, too," my mother said, "wearing the same dress." Anyway, we went upstairs to see if the ghost was still there, but she had vanished. I asked my mother what this could mean, and she said she had an idea. My twin was married ten years previously, and my grandmother said then that she hoped to see the other twin (me) get married. My grandmother died right after my twin's wedding. Now here I was, ten years later, finally getting married, and who shows up - Grandma. My story is unusual I guess in that two people had seen the same ghost, so the story was more believable to the family. At any rate, I seriously listen to people when they relate seeing a ghost, because I know such things happen, and when you least expect them. I have not, however, seen my grandmother's ghost since.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-10)
I have not read any of the other posts, but one thing that did come to mind whilst I was reading you story was maybe you should have remembered something, an occassion prehaps that he wanted to remind you off. You may see him again you may not. But I do hope you find out why you did see him after so many years of his passing.

Thank you
Surya
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
Im sorry for the tragic loss and your experience is interesting, Perhaps he hasnt completely passed on yet or doesn't want to, or maybe he just visits the site and wants to be seen one last time
Wheeler51106 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
3 months after Luke's death, my brother told me that he was on his way to a friends house and while driving, he thought that he had seen an apparition of a person standing on top of a wood pile that was located on the property of an old school house that has been vacant since the 1950's. My brother was pretty stirred up when he told me the story because he said it happened so close to the area where Luke was killed, and it was seen while driving down the same road, HWY 87, where the accident took place. Other than my brother's experience, no other family member has witnessed anything, that I know of.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
It is interesting I do believe this could have very well been your cousin and maybe it was a sign from him to let you know he is ok. On the other hand there could be the possibility that he does not know he has passed away and is confused and needs help moving on but I highly doubt this is the case. Have any other family members experienced anything before in regards to your cousin?

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Wheeler51106 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
The clothes that he died in were too torn and bloody to be used. An identical pair of pants and shirt were bought for him upon his funeral and burial. It's been almost 10 years since his death and I don't mind talking about it at all. I just wish that I could get to the bottom of why I was the one to have seen him.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
Uh same clothes or different? Like a new out fit? I know that the family is asked if they want the clothes disposed of (I was a mortician for 5 yrs.) & they usually don't want to see them if the death is like a fatal accident & there's a lot of bodily fluids & what not on the clothes. I've NEVER heard of any one actually having the passed relative viewed in the same clothes they died in. You don't even IDENTIFY a body in the clothes they had passed in. This is strange for me. Can you please clarify? Did they get a new out fit that matched the clothed he graduated AND died in? I don't mean to sound rude but I am confused, terribly.

~LSD~
ashleyjb (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
Hey I'm ashley. I have never had this experince so I don't know how it feels but maybe there was a reason you saw him maybe it was a sign. I'm 11 and I have hade experinces with ghost and maybe was there before but didn't notice him
oldgeorge (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
It may have been an actual pedestrian, or a random memory or a sign from him simply to show you he is OK (i.e. Facing the cross). I recommend praying to God for his eternal rest.
Wheeler51106 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
My sister told me that it was an open casket funeral. He was buried in the same clothes that he died in because they were the clothes that he picked out to wear to his high school graduation.

To this day I'm still wondering why it took 9 years for this to be revealed to me. But, my family members tell me that I just happen to be at the right place at the right time. I don't believe in coincidence, therefore, there is a reason why I seen what I saw. I do thank you all for taking the time to read my story. I am amazed at the number of people that have had encounters/experiences similar to mine.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
I question why he was wearing the same clothes he died in. Was there a viewing? Closed casket?
rhondaskppr (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
When you said he was facing his cross, I thought to myself he was looking at it. So maybe he was visiting where he passed away at and looking at all the flowers and stuff the family has put out for him. I don't know why it took 9 years but maybe he comes and visits all the time but this one night you just happen to see him. I have a question though... Why was he laid to rest in the same clothes he passed away in? Sorry for you families loss. I pray he's at peace.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: