You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Did I See My Grandad?

Real Ghost Stories

Did I See My Grandad?

 

I always use to stay at my grandads and my nana's every weekend. Until my granddad passed away in 2006. I couldn't stay after that I found it too hard. My nana was really down and upset and low one day so I thought that I would stay and keep her company and it was a few months after he passed away, so I had to be strong for her as well as myself. It was nice staying there again doing things we hadn't done in a while.

It was coming up to 11:00pm and nana went off to bed. I would have normally stayed in the spare room but there were loads of things in it so I had to sleep on the couch. I sat and watched telly for a bit and after a while got bored so I turned it off to go to sleep but I could sleep. It was around about 3am I was just lying crying, just thinking about my grandad. It was when I was looking at his picture in the cabinet and saying how much I missed him I suddenly looked at the other couch where he would normally sit. I saw him smoking his cigar, and looking at me and smiling.

I didn't know if I was dreaming or if I actually did see him, I was a bit shocked but I wasn't scared at all. I slept after that... But the next day when I woke up I didn't know if it was just a dream or if I did see him?

Could anybody tell me if I was dreaming or not?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RoniS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

RoniS (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
Thankyou all for your comments! I also in a way believe he was there to stay with his wife and let me knoe that he is at peace, and also he passed away in that house to, so I don't know if it is his spirt that is still there?
My nanna has also had many dreams of my grander warning her about things...

In hope he is at peace! 😊
Drannac (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-03)
it is most likely that you saw him, or atleast that is what I think. If he seemed happy, then you should be too. He most likely was there to comfort you, and to tell you that he is comfortable.
Jennifer_ghostlover (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
I actually can believe that he is still there. I think he wants to let you all know that he is still happy. 😊
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
Seeing him at his home as you did leads me to believe that it was him, and that you did indeed see him. Here's my line of reasoning on the matter...

First, no one else can say if you were sleeping or not, of course, but you certainly can. And don't let anyone buffalo you into this "sleep paralysis" cover story for actual spirit phenomenon. To my thinking sleep paralysis as an overexplanation is akin to taking the blood pressure of a person who has just seen a ghost and saying "see, your blood pressure is high, so you have high blood pressure so that means you did not see a ghost". The problems with that line of logic are evident to anyone familiar with logic and particulary Venn diagrams which deliniate definitions and exclusions of possibilities, but I digress.

What I'm trying to say is that you should trust yourself and your 'gut' on this one. Moreover, it is just as 'scientific' for you to do so as for you to pursue any other line of "proof" concerning your encounter, I would posit.

In my experience, my Scottish grandmother lost her husband and was truly bereft. My mother went to stay with her at a lake house, where my grandfather had passed, in fact. My mother was a bit sensitive to spirit phenomena and during the night, she saw my grandfather in a very vivid dream and he greeted her and warned her about a number of things, some of which proved to be relevant with the passing of time and others which we were not able to verify.

So my thinking is

1] Your grandfather, much as my own, is remaining close to his wife physically [in as much as on in spirit can do so] and
2] That place would be their shared home which you visited and
3] This sort of contact happens all of the time and even if you were dreaming or sleeping, that makes it no less "real"

Are we physical beings who sometimes have a spiritual experience or spiritual beings having a physical experience? Perhaps both?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Those who have gone on will sometimes visit us in our dreams. Whether you were asleep or awake, I think it was probably your grandfather telling you he is at peace.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
I can't say for sure madam. But I've had similar occurrences myself.

I stayed overnight once in my father's house, in the living room/couch.

I woke up in the middle of the night/early morning hearing what seemed to be grandpa making toast with his characteristic scraping butter on his blackened bread- sound.

I went and looked, twas him. He was busy so I left him alone. Wasn't until I woke up in the daylight that I realized that Gramps had been dead for over a year.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
How could any of us tell you if you were dreaming or not? LOL! If it WAS a dream or if it WAS NOT a dream, either way I think your grandad was letting you know he is at peace with his passing & you should be too. Bless you & yours. MCL.

~LSD~

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: