You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa's Last Visit 2

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa's Last Visit 2

 

After grandpa died, grandma stayed with us permanently. She said she didn't want to live all alone at their house, where she would be reminded of him everywhere she turned. She said she'd rather live with us, where she would remember him at his happiest moments.

Years later, when I was about nine, I was coming home from a friend's house as it was nearing dusk already. I was about to step off the curb at a blind curve in a one-way street to cross when I heard an old man's voice shout at me from behind, "Noy!" That is my nickname at home, Nonoy. It is a term of endearment for a male child in Ilonggo families. I stopped immediately to look behind me. At that moment, a speeding car with its lights off rounded the curve and it would have hit me if I hadn't stopped. I can still remember vividly the rush of the wind on my skin as it swept past, the throb of its racing engine mingling with the protest of its blaring horn. But I can also remember that there was nobody behind me. At the other side, there were some women who were dismayed at my near-brush with death. Shaken, I continued home.

Sometime later, during summer vacation I was alone at home having lunch. My grandma and the cook were still out buying groceries and the driver was with them. I can't remember where the maid went. My older sister was at summer school, my mom was at her office and dad was away on a business trip. I was watching a movie in the old VHS format while eating when I started to choke on a piece of meat. I recalled that I didn't panic and tried to pull out the meat with my fingers. But every time I did that, I just managed to push it in further. I started to pass out and fall to the floor. Just before I lost consciousness, I felt a pair of hands catch me and ease me gently to the floor. I thought I also heard a male voice calling me "Noy, Noy" then, nothing. When I came to, I was on the floor on my side. The offending piece of meat was but a few inches away from my mouth, and I was still all alone. Who was that who caught me on the way down and was calling to me and who removed the meat I was choking on? I know the memory of those last moments is suspect. What with the lack of oxygen, I could have been hallucinating. But, the undeniable facts are that I am still alive, the choking hazard was removed from my windpipe while I was unconscious, and I was all alone in the house. Call me irrational, but I prefer to think it was grandpa who saved my life twice.

A few years ago, I received a call from my mom that grandma was dying. She said that it was grandma's wish to see me before she went. I said of course, I will go home as soon as possible and told her to tell grandma that I loved her, just in case I didn't make it on time. I filed for an emergency leave at the office and an expedited exit permit to leave the country where I was working, and I arranged for the first flight available to take me back to the Philippines. Luckily, I was granted the exit permit just the day before my scheduled flight.

All in all, it took me three long days to arrive at home where grandma was. When I entered her room, I had noticed that it had been turned into a virtual hospital room. I requested for privacy beforehand so the private nurse we had hired for her left the room when I entered. I told my mom, my uncle and my aunt to stay by the open door for I felt the time was very near. My grandma appeared to be sleeping so I called out, "Lola? Bugtaw ka pa? Ari na ko." (Grandma are you awake? I'm here.) She slowly stirred and opened her eyes to look at me. "Noy, ikaw na? Sin-o na ang upod mo?" (Noy, is that you? Who is that with you?) "Ako ni. Wala ko upod a." (It's me. I'm alone.) I walked nearer to stand by her bedside so she could see me better. "Indi a, may upod ka guid ya. Ay huuuuuu..." (No, you are not alone. Ohhhh...) Then she began to cry.

Words failed me, so I took her nearest hand in mine and kissed it. It was cold, but I didn't mind. She spoke again through her tears. "Salamat kay ari ka. Kag salamat kay guin-upod mo si lolo mo. Subong, kuntento na ko." (Thank you for being here. And thank you for bringing your grandpa with you. I am now content.) And she slowly drifted back to sleep. I was already crying myself. As I held her hand, I could feel her life slowly ebbing out. And then, she passed away. I saw that her heartbeat was flat on the monitor. I barely heard the audio alarm as I turned it off then turned as my family entered the room. But I wasn't really sad, no. I knew that wherever she was, she was at peace; and that wherever she was, she was once again reunited with grandpa.

Other hauntings by Monyet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Monyet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-31)
I almost cried reading this story. I envy you, I never got the chance to be close with my grandparents. My maternal grandparents passed away when I was small. My father's mother is still alive but there is a barrier due to family issues. How are you now? Did you every have the chance to see them together?
kristina_marquez (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
that is so sweet... You're very lucky to have grandparents like them - protective and very loving. ❤
daunsntein (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
Awww... That is a very touching story. Thank you for sharing it. 😭
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
what a lovely story I am filling up here thank you for sharing
psychicteen13 (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't tell you how that makes me feel, I know oh to well what you have experienced. I lost my Great Grandmother back in 2008. I lost her on my parent's anniversary. I was very sad, and still am to this day. I loved her so much, still do. Even though we didn't visit her more than maybe once a year, every year, but when she passed, it hit me really hard. During her wake, she looked so peaceful, she is now in a better place, even though she is still with me, she can now float freely in the world, free of pain and sorrow.
Jhunnel (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I think the one who saved you is an angel. SOME person have a guardian angel, it's biblical. And the bible said that when you died, your soul go to hades where the good and evil temporary placed. And when the judgement day come. All of us will judge even you are alive or died...it's biblical
xxMayLovablexx14366 (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-30)
OMB your story is full of emotion and love... I almost cried! Nice Story though!
merlin (23 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
teary eyed here with tissues in my hand. Thanks for sharing you story.
merlin (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
nothing I can say more than...wow... What a love circled family you have. I admire your family relationship. No talking about ghost or spirits here, but it's all about the love you have for each other. 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Wow Monyet your story certainly holds a lot of love and emotion, your grandparents are united again and are at peace. It must be comforting knowing that he was always there for you at your times of need.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
You have me fighting back tears and thinking of my own grandparents. It never ceases to amaze me how family members who have passed on continue to watch over us. It sounds like your Grandfather had quite a gift that he passed on to your mom, and now you. Thank you for sharing these beautiful stories with us. 😊 ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Monyet--I also read your stories together, and believe me, the last thing anyone should call you is irrational. The terms gifted, lucky, fortunate, and blessed come to mind, and most of all, dearly loved. Give that third eye of yours a nice rub in thanksgiving. ~ James
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Monyet: I'm sitting here teary-eyed...I waited to read both accounts before commenting... Experiences like yours are the reason I believe in the paranormal... Seems like your Grandma knew that where ever you were, your Grandpa would also be...

Now I'm looking forward to a part 3, that includes the both of them!

Very touching account, thank you for posting ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Beautiful stories. So incredible the bonds love makes between people. It's good that you got to see your grandmother, and just amazing that you brought your grandfather with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: