You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Courtner Road

Real Ghost Stories

Courtner Road

 

Courtner Road in Pueblo is THE place to be on Halloween night. Everyone goes there, freaks each other out, goes home and gets drunk. That's all there is to do in Pueblo. But, on any other night, it's just a regular road, with regular houses. One morning, at around 1:00 a.m. my cousin Matt and I were goofing around after hours, thinking we were cool. We drove by the old Courtner house. It was really scary. I had been past it a few times, but I had never really looked at it. It's burnt down, and half of it is gone, but the basement is still there.

Matt parked the car. He turned off all the lights and told me the story. "Old man Courtner lived there with his wife and two kids. He was a member of the KKK. He would kill African Americans in his basement. One day, he went crazy and killed his dog. When his wife asked him about it... He chased her through the woods around their house. Finally he caught up with her, and shot her. He shot his son too... But the daughter, he hung her in a tree, so people driving by could see her..." I could feel shivers and I told Matt to drive the car.

He took off slowly. He glanced in the mirror to see cars behind us. He hit the breaks and smacked the rear view mirror. He looked at me and then kept driving. Nothing was said... It was too scary for the both of us. I glanced up in the mirror and saw the scariest face looking at me from the backseat. I turned to the backseat and it was gone. Matt kept driving. We were WAY TOO AFRAID to tell each other what we saw. We drove a little further, and we saw a little girl... Walking across the street in a light pink dress. I started to scream and Matt swerved so he wouldn't hit her. We wrecked right in front of the tree that Courtner hung his daughter in.

I checked the gas gages before I passed out. They were flying from 20 to 90. Back and forth. Matt was flying around the entire car. I had my seat belt... For some reason, it unbuckled and hit me in the face. Just before I hit my head on the dash I saw Courtner. I know it was him. Standing in front of the car. Our car jolted, and I was knocked out. When I woke up, Matt was sitting motionless in the driver's seat. I asked how long I had been out. "Only a few minuets" he said. He got out of the car, to check the damage. We had hit and electric fence, and two barbed wire fence and a tree. The car had barely any damage. We were about to back the car out when the back end lifted up. Matt got out and went to check what we were stuck on... Nothing. We drove home.

A few night later we had to prove to our friends that the Courtner stories weren't just talk... They were real. Matt was in the back seat with his friends Trent and Clint, and my friend Jennifer was up front with me. I pulled the car up to the entrance to the house. I shut it off just like Matt did. Our plan was to go in the basement, but when we all got out... Matt didn't. We thought at first that he was scared, but his door wouldn't open. We pulled on the lock with pliers, and tried to pry the door open. It wouldn't budge.

Finally we all decided to get back in the car. We drove a little ways down the road, and I saw Courtner in my review mirror. Jennifer saw him out of her side mirror too. He stood watching us, in the middle of the road... Behind our car. I didn't want to scare Matt. He was already shaken up. A little while later, my seat belt tightened. Now... It didn't just pull... It tightened so hard that my seat got knocked backward. I started to cry, and threw the seatbelt off of me. We couldn't believe it. We finally got back on South road. We went to take Trent, Clint and Matt home. When we got out... We saw from the outside on the back window. "Matt and Courtney Courtner road"

Ever since that night... If anyone mentions Courtner road... Matt can't see out of his left eye and I get a bloody nose. Every time. Never again will Courtner be viewed as a party place on Halloween. It wants me and my cousin to go back... And never come home.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, strawberrybabe2010, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
4 years ago (2020-08-02)
Hello SeekInShadows,

Looks like the member who posted this 'story' has deleted the account.

When I saw your comment, I did a bit of googling and found this.

Https://youtu.be/1iv8xHwAJTM
(Nothing else closely relevant)

I've noticed a couple of the comments on this thread are from members who have only made one comment and then disappeared like this OP. (Craigery, Justus, jmclink, chelcw06, and Soph1213) I've also noticed the style of writing of those one off comments to be similar in style to the OP🤔

Keep us posted if you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes,
SWS
😕
seekinshadows (1 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-08-01)
I am seeking information regarding the Cortner location. Does anyone know when the Cortner's lived there? Does anyone know when the house was burned down? Hopefully someone who sees this message with have some answers.
IceMom (1 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-03-12)
"Old man Cortner" (at least spell it right please) was my great uncle. I spent time in that house as a child. He never did any of these things. His wife died of dementia, and all his children were alive when he passed and attended his funeral. Good grief. Stay off drugs.
chelcw06 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-15)
So, this was published at least ten years ago which is appropriate as my experiences with Cortner Road also happened about about twelve years ago. I was a sophomore in high school and had an Honor's English semester research project where we had to investigate a topic, do an immense amount of research, conduct two recorded hour-long interviews with experts in the field, give a 30 minute presentation and produce a product to show what we'd learned. I chose to do mine on paranormal activity and this was before it was such a sensation on TV, there were none of the documentary ghost shows on at that time.

As a fourth-generation, native of Pueblo, I had heard stories about Cortner Road, they all varied but the consistent theme of the white dog, the girl hanging from the tree and old man Cortner appearing with a shot gun in hand are all pretty standard whenever you hear the story's variations. There wasn't much research I could find on the place beyond that in the 90s when satanic worship was really trendy, that kids would go out there for gatherings and rituals. We interviewed the closest neighbor and in my opinion, based on how he answered the questions, I think he set it on fire so the devil stuff would stop. We decided my product would be a filmed documentary of Cortner Road, an investigation and a seance.

The day of the seance I had an interview with a legit psychic. I still couldn't drive so my dad had to drive me. Before the interview, he said, you know what we need is a ouija board. So we went to Toys R Us and purchased one, then he dropped me off at the psychic's office for an hour. I didn't mention anything about the seance, the ouija board, or the documentary to the psychic. The hour flew by, he had so many fascinating things to say. The doorbell rang and my dad was there to pick me up; as we crossed the threshold to leave, the psychic said, "Wait! Don't use the Ouija board." My dad and I looked at each other puzzled and then back at the psychic who was desperately reaching out for us as he spoke, "The dark spirits know you have it and are waiting for you to use it." Needless to say, my dad immediately drove back to Toys R Us where we returned the board and did not use it that night.

The property is surrounded by its own little forest of incredibly thick trees and overgrowth. There's an overgrown driveway behind a chainlink fence that leads to what's left of the house, a basement, two white brick pillars with satanic symbols spray painted on them and BATHTUBS. I believe we found and counted 13 bathtubs on the property. Some were buried in the ground like pools. Some we buried upside down in the ground. Some sat side by side next to each other. It was nighttime but we had flashlights, and could tell all the upward facing tubs were tinted pink. I immediately put it together and thought they were used for animal sacrifices.

We formed a circle of salt, myself and four friends, we each held a candle and my dad and his very spiritually intuitive friend were filming. We simply started asking questions. All of our candles would respond by the flame stretching straight up into a thin thread of fire, bending toward us, rotating in circles, nothing like how candles would behave from a breeze. One of my friends began to sob during the seance, I asked her to describe what she was feeling to me, she said it felt like her back was on fire and she was in intense pain. When we got to the car, not too long after that, she took off her jacket and we pulled up her shirt to see a perfect red hand print on her back. We got that on film.

We took several pictures that revealed dozens of orbs, shadow figures, and mysterious mists. I have to admit I never saw an apparition of any sort- dog, man, or little girl. I'm psychic to some degree and felt unwelcome on the property but not threatened or intimidated, more like we were an inconvenience. I'm not sure what entity is haunting Cortner Road but there is a presence on the property, make no mistake. If it's not old man Cortner himself or his alleged victims, then the kids in the 90s stirred up some negative, demonic energy in their rituals.

We went back with a big group of friends who were curious a few weeks later. Several of my friends claimed to see the white dog, I did not. But suddenly an odd feeling substance appeared in my hand. It looked like a large worm. I smelled it and it smelled like a corpse, a completely rotten, awful smell I can still remember the pungency of today. I threw it out the window after showing my friends, we're all at a loss as to what it was.

I drove by just this last month during the daylight as a coworker lives not too far from there. I couldn't see a thing, not even the driveway that was once there, it now looks like an overgrown wildlife reserve and you'd need to wear leather boots and carry a machete to cut your way through to the house itself. I didn't get any weird vibes my coworker told me countless stories, all that echo what's already been said. He'd gone there when the house was still standing and claimed to see the girl hanging from the tree, old man Cortner and the ghost dog would supposedly chase he and his friends. He's almost 40 and vows to never set foot back on the property.
jmclink (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
I went to the Courtner House this summer with two of my friends. We had decided that we were going to this house because it was haunted and because we were already out in the county plus. One of them had already been there with other friends and told us all this creepy stuff that had happened. However we got there and he showed us the creepy fence that led to the house but we drove further and then parked the care facing the directions of the house. But I was freaked out and was afraid of getting out and going up there. So we stayed in the car for a couple minutes why he told us about all this creepy stuff that had happened to them there. So then a car randomly pulls up behind us with their lights on. It had appeared out of absolutely nowhere. SO we were like screw this we are leaving. Then we start driving off and then the lights turn back on and they start following us and they were still following us and then all of us a sudden they were gone. We know we didn't make this up. It definitely happened.
Justus (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-09)
I've been the tons of times, both during the day and the middle of the night. Nothing has happened! The place just gives you the creeps is all. You'll sometimes hear the leaves rustling when there's no wind and you hear dogs barking a lot but that is probably just the neighboring residents dogs. I have taken photos, videos, and EVPs out there I even used a Ouija board once there, it moved slightly but nothing to be considered "haunted." I am NOT a skeptic in the least bit but in my opinion the place is not haunted, creepy but not haunted.
soph1213 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
hey that's crazy what hapened...me and a few friends are going there in october, (in few weeks) and was wondering if its a good idea to go? I'm pretty nervous about it so have any advice for us? Thanks!
craigery (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
me and my friend have always heard about the cortner house but never really looked for it and today we found cortner rd but how do yo know which house it is I would really love to know
spanner (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Well I can tell you all, I am a firefighter in the County of Pueblo and I fought the Cortner house fire. Yes all I can tell you is it is a real place and yes it is said to be hounted. It was an old abandend house that hadn't been lived in for some time. I can also tell you that you can not drive up to the front of the house becouse it is pretty over grown with trees. Also there is no such tree that anyone can pin point to that would even be considered the hanging tree. So here it is in a nut shell I think the area is haunted but I have asked around and no one can tell me if anything has happened there in the last 60 years. I also know for a fact that the house had cable tv to it as well as a phone line, the bathroom was from about the time of the 40s. Other then that it was pretty well gutted before it burned. Now I can say that I have heard stories from fellow firefighters that grew up around the area that yes there is to a ghost dog that is said to be white and can run with cars and that it also has been known to run standing up and then disappear.
And it has happened to us were we driving down the road at night when out of nowhere a car if behind us and then it is gone. But that is about the only things that has happen to us. Now I feel there are other places in county that is known to be more haunted than this place. I have been to Courtner house several time for different reasons, and have never felt threatend by any means. Thanks
froggerrules (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Yeah, the very same thing happened to me one time. I was driving down this road. Coincidentally, it was called Fortner Road, and some rumors were flying around about this haunted tree. The story goes that every night at 2:00 a.m., a ghost dog goes to this one tree and lifts up his little legg and you know, does his business, and then vanishes as quick as he came. I'm not sure why there is this ghost dog. People forget small details like that when telling these types of stories. Well, anyway, I was driving down Fortner road when my car stalled. I was pretty stranded on this deserted dirt road with a dead cell phone and I REALLY needed to use the toliet. You know how beer just runs through your sysem. Anyway I get out of the car and I spot this tree and it looks good enough but as soon as I walk over there I noticed something nawing at my leg and I looked down to see this white puffy thing. It was the dog I guess. Well the white puffy thing was pretty mad that I was taking its tree so I just ran out of there real quick and well you know, I was drunk so maybe this story isn't that accurate on the details...

And damn whenever I talk about Fortner road, I feel like I'm having a really bad hangover and I gotta pee.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
That was quite a story! Whew.

Martin, I must say I applaud you giving all the benefit of the doubt. We were not there, we don't know for sure. On the other hand, if a person takes time to go to these lengthts to write and publish a story, maybe there is another reason behind it even if the story is not one hundred percent legit.

Interesting story, I can't find much information in the house mentioned...

God Bless!
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-17)
Wow, I think is an interesting story! I have witness thinks way beyond this! Whitch is one of the reason why I don't right about them, because I know I'm going to get similar comments! But Martin don't worry I love reading all kinds of stories whether is a good fun scare of plain scary I enjoy reading them...

if anything let me know looney1185 [at] yahoo.com
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-16)
Well considering the users input on this one, if the author doesn't come and defend her story soon, I might just pull it off because there's nothing I'd hate more than people think I publish made up stories.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-16)
I agree with everyone that posted comments so far on here, what is Martin's website turning into?... YourMade-upGhostStories.com? If you're going to make up a story, at least make it as believable as possible. I find this story hard to believe, but people could think differently... Although this could happen, I just thought it was too... Something to be real.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-16)
After reading this one my first response was, "what the "? Sorry, I am just having a hard time believing it. If it is real and you are the only one who knows that for sure or not, then I would have to say you experienced something beyond belief.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-16)
Wow, that's quite the story and I also have a hard time believing it! But oh well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: