You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Moving Objects & Ghost Dogs

Real Ghost Stories

Moving Objects & Ghost Dogs

 

This took place at my parent's house in Fayetteville, Arkansas back when I was a senior in high school. We had just moved into this house in Arkansas to be a little closer to family after we had lived in North Carolina for a few years. The home is fairly average, in an average neighbourhood and was only about five years old when we moved in.

There didn't seem to be anything odd with the house at all. It was open and sunny all of the time, and had a pleasant feel to it. The living room, however, was completely different at night, and since it lay in the centre of the house between the kitchen and the master and guest bedroom, it tended to amplify sounds. Since I was less than a year from going off to college, my parents let me have the larger guest bedroom that lay right next to theirs. It had a nice large window that looked out to the front lawn and had a very high ceiling.

The first odd thing that I remember happening was in broad daylight. I was spending a lazy Sunday morning reading a book, in which I kept my place with a small brass bookmark that my grandmother had given me. The top of it had also been engraved with my name. I stopped reading, got up and placed the book with the bookmark in it on my desk across the room and walked to the closet on the adjacent wall. I was leaning against the closet door deciding what I would wear that day when above me on the door I heard a loud crack. I felt something land on my shoulder and it was my brass bookmark. I told my parents about this, but they just shrugged it off and blamed it on my little sister... Who was sleeping.

Because of this, I kept everything else that happened to myself. Every week or so things that I thought I had placed in stable positions would fall off of my desk at night and wake me up. I constantly found myself staring out of my bedroom door at night when this would happen because it felt like I wasn't alone. I started sleeping with my door closed and the stuff stopped falling off of my desk.

Things were pretty quiet for a while but I started waking up to strange noises coming from my door. It sounded like a quiet whimper and sometimes it sounded like scratching at the base of the door like the sound of a small dog that wanted inside. I never went to open the door during all of this because I figured that if there was something out there I would rather it not be in the same room with me!

The reason that I am posting this now, after all of these years is because even though I have gone off to college, I still come back home and the last visit scared me a great deal. Since I went to college, I had not experienced anything since the strange noises during my senior year. I recently went home for spring break and stayed in my old bedroom. Since high school, I have reverted back to sleeping with my door open, and so I left my bedroom door open that night. I woke up at about 3a.m. With a sense of dread and looked at the doorway to find a large black German shepherd. At first I thought it was my own dog Kipcha, as she is mostly black and is a large shepherd mix, but this was definitely not her. The dog just stared at me for a few seconds and turned around and then I never saw it again.

I've don't some research since then to find a thing called a "Black Shuck" but I really hope that is not the case! I also ran Google earth on the house and it was clear from the old photo that the previous owners had dogs, however I only saw what looked like small ones. Let me know what you think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vorhv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Vorhv,
Thanks so much for coming back and commenting here. I can't wait to hear what your findings are when you get back. This story has been a puzzler for sure.
๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
Vorhv - thank you for responding! Let us know what you find out, okay?
Vorhv (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
Javalina and Miracles,
I am going home this Friday and will be staying a couple days so I will definately ask around!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-06)
I do hope Vorhy returns to check the comments here.
You made perfect sense to me Miracles, especially bringing up OCD. That defines how a blind persons world would be. And oh how frustrating to have things out of place or sitting in a spot not meant for any objects to sit.
This is a great story for puzzle hounds like us, we just can't leave them until we find a sensible solution.
๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-06)
Vorhv - Somehow I missed this story and am glad it was brought to my attention ๐Ÿ˜‰, so I'm throwing my two cents, and concurrence, in with Javelina's thoughts.

I was trying to figure out how the thrown objects fit into this because from the little information you gave, they didn't appear to be intended to harm you or were malicious. I just couldn't make them fit with the dog. But when Javelina suggested a seeing eye-dog that put a whole different spin on things. Frustration, yeah. I'm OCD, so this makes sense to me. Something out of place... ๐Ÿ˜†

So if this person was blind and passed, I believe the dog, no matter where he may have passed would still be carrying out his responsibility. His spirit is still going to be with his master, so I don't think the dog necessarily had to die there too. Wow, I'm not sure I made any sense there at all ๐Ÿ˜†.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
One more thing. The toys and the small sized doggie openings are for playful pets, a Seeing eye dog is not a pet. This dog is a working dog, it has one job, and that is to be the "eyes" of it's companion. Many people make the mistake of approaching these animals as if they were everyday pets. This is not only frustrating to the owner/companion but it is very rude. My daughter worked at the school for the deaf and blind here in Tucson for nearly 12 years before moving on to teaching high school. You pick up a few things after all that time.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
Vorhv,
I had to come back to your story just for that reason. I'm thinking the dog may have a companion that he keeps company with, and that companion doesn't like you, or anyone else for that matter, taking up residence in that particular room.
Have you talked to any of the neighbors? I'll bet they could shed some light on this mystery.
You know, something odd just occured to me about this whole matter, which might help explain why their were only pictures on Google of the small dogs and the toys out back under the deck.
I'm just taking a wild guess here, but what if this dog was a seeing eye dog? It would explain why nothing came in when the door was closed, because why would a door stop a spirit? It wouldn't! But a closed door would stop a seeing eye dog in his tracks, leaving the companion no where to go with out his "eyes". Then having things on your desk, which by coincidence may be in the same spot as theirs was, that are not what they had in that spot, would be frustrating to a blind person who's used to having everything exactly where they know it should be. And that frustration makes them push those things out of their spot. The bookmark was probably more of a toss over the shoulder and not a targeted type throw in your direction.
Please let me know if the neighbors can verify any of this. I'm very interested to see if I've come close to solving this puzzle.
Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Vorhv (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
Javelina and Taz,
It is very comforting to know that what I saw was a friendly dog instead of a Shuck! This makes sense because it did not have long fangs or large glowing eyes. What still confuses me is the objects being moved before I heard/saw any dogs. The dog was upset that I closed the door, but then it must have been playful before I closed the door I suppose? Although I can't imagine why a dog would want to take a stapler off of a desk at night.

Tech,
Thank you for the article! I read it and it is very fascinating.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
hi vorhv totaly agree with javelina it sounds like a dog doing the rounds like it used to and was probibly the scratching sounds you heard before too, it could be that the previous owner had that bedroom and the dog was unsettled by the door being closed.
When you saw the dog it was just checking all was ok and obviously not allowed in the room before so still stays out now.
Thanks for posting a great story
tech (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
hi there- I was reading about the phenomenon that includes black shuck recently.
It seems to be a much wider phenomenon (mostly in the uk) of apparitions of black dogs that are tied to places, (often near water bodies) not necessarily malevolent, just strange, and without the flaming eyes etc.
This article gathers most of the threads of it together pretty well I think:
Http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/folklore/phantom-black-dogs.html
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Vorhv,
The previous owners may still have owned a large black shepard, even though you only saw small dogs on the old google photo. I have two of my dogs that have passed on that still visit. To me it's a comfort. The dog you saw in your doorway may just have been checking his/her old areas at the appointed time of night he/she was used to. They do that sometimes, checking to make sure everyone is fine and all areas are secure. I wouldn't worry, you didn't se any red eyes or dripping ghoulish fangs, you just saw a dog. Take comfort in the fact that you are being protected, it's a major plus in my book.
๐Ÿ˜Š
Vorhv (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
Shadowspirit,
I don't have any evidence that a dog died or was buried on the property but it is clear that the previous owners owned smaller dogs. There is a wooden deck in the back yard with small openings on the sides and I have found several random objects under there like toys and shoes. As for my own pets, I have Kipcha, the shepherd/border collie mix and a cat that stays outdoors and in the garage.
shadowspirit (4 stories) (122 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-02)
hi

What interests me the most about your story is your mention of black shuck. Because somehow me and my friends have been talking about this little doggy quite alot. Its a black dog, quite big with fiery red eyes. It is said to be the harbringer of bad luck (well round here it is anyway)

Did you have a dog or any sort of pet that could scratch and whine like one that died recently? Or did the previous owner, you might find it would of died and been buried in the garden. (I don't reccommend you dig it up though if it is. Disturbing a dogs remains won't make it very happy)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: