You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Lost Lovers

Real Ghost Stories

The Lost Lovers

 

This story happened during my fourth hike. In case, any of you doesn't know, I also have another story about the first time I ever tried hiking; it's called "Voices in the Woods..."

Anyway, this was also during another hike, but this time, I and Jake had other company. There were 16 of us, me being the only girl. We met some of them on other mountains that we had hiked before. We decided to do a group hike in the day, because the mountain that we decided to hike already has its reputation for having lots of "unexplained happenings".

Let me tell you a bit about the history first. The name of the mountain that we hiked in this story is Mt. Cristobal, located in Laguna. Beside Mt. Cristobal are what we call Mt. Banahaw. They are actually two connecting mountains, but both located in two different provinces. Mt. Banahaw is a place where pilgrims go to, especially during the Lenten Season here in the Philippines. I have been there a lot of times before as well, and it just gives me this calm and peaceful feeling whenever I visit the place, that is why it is one of my favorite places to hike. It has been dubbed as "The Holy Mountain" both by locals and pilgrims, and I believe it is true. (It's because I never experienced any weird stuffs there...)

Now, Mt. Cristobal, on the other hand, is notoriously known as the "Devil's Mountain." Locals say that the reason for its nickname is because; it "absorbs" all the negative energy coming from Mt. Banahaw. And only a few group of hikers dared to climb it, every year. Regardless of the warnings and precautions given to us, we still continued. They told us scary and tragic stories that have been passed around by locals, thinking it might make us change our minds but, it never stopped us. Even if I had a scary experience before, it never came across my mind because I was able to hike other mountains, without any of those things happening again, so I just thought, it was probably coincidence. And speaking of tragic, this is where my story begins...

We all met at the jump off point, or the base of the mountain one Tuesday morning in July of 2004. It was almost noon when we finished checking all our essentials, so we decided to start ascending as early as possible. So, we did a little prayer of guidance and started the hike at around 12:00 noon. We have a guide because the trail that we chose was not that common yet.

The view was absolutely breathtaking, which took my mind off the "stories" I have heard. A couple of hours later, one of the hikers, Reggie, had an asthma attack, so we had no choice but to stop and let him rest. After an hour of sight seeing and picture taking, he was finally feeling well enough to continue the trek. We happened to pass by a small cottage of a family of 5, who had been living there selling "book" or coconut juice for a living.

The family's head, an old man, chatted with us a while and seeing as I'm the only girl in the group, the old man told the group to just leave me with him and his family. Not that I don't trust him, I really appreciate his concern but I wouldn't want to miss out on this experience, being my first time to travel with such a large, loud and fun group, so I just thanked the old man and said that I always have my rosary with me whenever I hike. So, we started the trek, once again. We never knew we would be having lots of unplanned stop overs, that by the time we reached half of the destination, it was almost 4 in the afternoon...

The guide that we have told us that he can only go as far as the first half of the trek, for he never felt good once he ventures farther. I was beginning to get scared, but I just thought that we are hiking in daylight and there's like a dozen of us, so it made me feel a bit at ease. So we thanked and paid the guide and followed his instructions as to which trail to take. It was beginning to get dark when Reggie, had another attack. We were more worried about his condition than the fact that it was getting dark that we decided to just camp on that spot for the night, but he refused and asked for just 30 more minutes of rest.

Finally, when Reggie told us that he is better (again...) we decided to hike a bit faster and we cannot have any other stop overs. We reached a part of the trail where the guide forgot to mention... There is a forked trail with a huge tree in the middle, and has a left and right trail. We never remembered him telling us which of the two trails to follow. We all sat down and decided that half of the group would go and check the right trail, half of us will check the left, and we talked about meeting back under the tree after 15 minutes.

We were about to venture out, when this two hikers whom we never noticed, probably because we have been busy debating which path to take, appeared and asked us if we are lost. Mark, the talkative one said yes. The two hikers said that they have been using this trail ever since they first hiked Mt. Cristobal, so they both offered to join and guide us. Anyway, we all said yes, thinking that they saved us more time, besides it's already 7:00PM, for the debate had delayed us, so we took out our flashlights and went on.

We took the left trail. While we were hiking we all became noisy and we all started fooling around, telling jokes and stuff, but the two hikers, who we're walking ahead of us we're both quiet. I noticed that they we're holding hands and figured that they probably prefer to just keep their thoughts to themselves, so we never bothered them anymore. I think an hour had passed and we all became exhausted. The trail was full of steep slopes and we literally have to dig our fingers on the dirt floor while climbing. It was almost 9:00PM and I was getting hungry, so I took out one of my Jelly Snacks and offered them to everybody, including the couple but they declined. A few moments had passed when the girl said, "Malapit na tayo..." (Translation: "We're almost there...) So we all walked a bit faster, eager for some sleep and food. It started to rain, so, aside from being tired and hungry, we we're cold.

Raymart, the wackiest of all, was the one walking just a few feet behind the couple and he kept on asking the couple questions every now and then, but all he got as a response is "uh-huh, yes, no, maybe..." He looked funny because was holding a huge flashlight that almost looked like what Coast Guards used for Search and Rescue. The couple turned left and so we followed. We reached a small path, full of tall, sinister looking trees and plants with thorns, some of them scratched my face and my arms.

The guy then said "Andito na tayo, bilisan nyo bago pa lumakas ang ulan." (We're here; hurry up before it rains harder.) Fortunately, the rain stopped after a few minutes. We we're all walking in silence when, suddenly, Raymart's flashlight went off, as well as the rest of us. There were 5 of us holding flashlights and it was just weird that every single one of them just went off at the same time. Raymart was hitting his flashlight, to make it go on again. The sky above could not be seen that much because there we're lots of trees, and the moon lay hidden behind the clouds, so it was really dark. Raymart just kept on walking behind the couple while trying to make his flashlight turn on again... It was hard to walk on the path because it was already muddy and slippery from the rain, so we tried to ask the couple if they have spares, but we can't see them, and neither of them answered as well, so Jake thought they already went ahead.

We we're slowly walking, one step at a time and we we're all groping for each other's arms, when all our flashlights turned on again. Raymart shouted triumphantly, then, he suddenly cursed and shouted, "Sh*t, #@!%&! Huminto kayo! Hinto! Teka lang! #@!%&!" (Stop guys, stop! Wait!) We we're startled by his behavior and I said "Tol, wag ka mag mura ng ganyan kalakas dito, baka may magalit!" (Bro, don't ever curse that loud in this kind of place, "SOMEONE" might get mad at you.") So, we stopped and asked him why, but he never answered back. So Miggy shone the flashlight on Raymart too see clearly. What we saw almost made us jump... We saw Gee-Boy, the youngest one, struggling as hard as he could to keep his hold on Raymart's backpack strap... Raymart was dangling and about to fall on a 250 or God knows how many feet ravine...

I screamed and told them to help Gee-Boy and Raymart, and when we finally got Raymart out, we asked him what happened. He was literally shaking from head to toe, from being cold and shock, and he said that he was trying to follow the couple when his flashlights came back to life, and just saw he was about to fall. He pushed Gee-Boy behind him so he won't take any step further. Fortunately for him, Gee-Boy managed to grab his backpack, and save his life.

We all walked slowly back to the old path we took before turning left and we we're all panicking, thinking that the couple might have fallen as well. But Mackoy said that we should have heard them scream, if they did fall down. We never heard any kind of noise except for Raymart's shouts. We just thought that they probably took a path which we never noticed, seeing as it was very dark, and they probably thought we were still behind them. What puzzled us is the fact that the couple never even bothered to look and check if we are all okay. After all, I'm pretty sure my scream reached as far as the neighboring country because it was so LOUD.

We tried to look for the real path ourselves, and it took us 1 more hour to finally reach the camp site, and there were a few campers as well. In spite of the fact that one of us almost died, some of the boys still managed to light up a fire the rest had assembled our tent and I made something to eat. After eating, we all gathered around the fire and talked about the couple. Jake saw how worried I am, so he promised that we'll all go looking for them in the morning.

We woke the next morning feeling a bit rejuvenated so we all walked around the site after a sloppy cup of coffee. We spotted a fellow hiker, Mitch, whom we had met at Mt. Banahaw, walking around with a cup of coffee, so we chatted with him. In the middle of the conversation, Jake asked Mitch, if he, by any chance, noticed the couple we met. Jake described them both. Mitch told us that he never saw anyone with their description, and he asked why. So, Jake told him about what happened to us the night before. Mitch almost gagged and asked us to have a seat. What I heard made all the hairs at the back of my neck stand up...

Mitch went on to relate a story which happened almost 8 years ago...

Two couples went to take a midnight hike one night. Despite of the fact that there was a storm brewing, and there was zero visibility, they still continued. They accidentally took a different trail, a trail that was not yet known at that time, (which, incidentally, the VERY SAME trail we all took that day...) they got lost at the forked trail, and took the left trail. It wasn't known that time that all trails to be taken should always be the RIGHT TRAIL. They took the deadly left turn, and never made it to the camp site. Unfortunately for them, they went on a midnight hike, so registrations are closed. Locals say their bodies were never found, and no one also came looking for them, some say that they show them selves to hikers because they want company...

When we descended 3 days after, we went and checked out the trail that almost took one of our friend's life. Raymart never joined us, so he waited by the tree. It was a very steep cliff, and the vegetation was very dense, it's probably impossible to navigate through it if you're not that skilled a mountaineer. Upon reaching the base, we all decided to offer a prayer and light a candle to the Lost Lovers, hoping that it would make their spirits rest.

Thank you for reading my post.

Other hauntings by ghost_of_you

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghost_of_you, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

thyne (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-23)
hi ghost_of_you! I'm also a mountaineer, belonged to a school based org since I was freshman in college (1997). But just resting from climbing about 5yrs ago due from an accident. Funny thing, accident at home not one of those mountains I am climbing (thats why my mom was devastated.hehehe) I believe in your story... In fact Mt. San Cristobal (not Cristobal - just so happened that other climbers used to call it in short cut) was one of my favorite minor mountain. By the way, I'm also kind of sensitive since I was a child. And I'm not the only one in our group. Evrytime we climb, specially during training climb, I always volunteered as sweeper (last man), of course with somebody/buddy. Not only because I'm a slow trekker and have sharp memory in terms of trails, but also, we (sensitive ones) don't want our trainees be scared on what we see, hear and feel. Also I'm one of those night trekkers (where I sometimes included on lead pack cause I trust my instinct on trails and I don't wana get lost at night trek). Since in just new here, just few months ago, just readibg stories, I will share my stories next time. Ty!
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-20)
Amazing Story! I loved it! God Bless ❀ Have a good life ahead!
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
bettinawesome - Its good you didn't climb it. It looks very foreboding and sinister if you look at it from afar, doesn't it? Its like someone unseen is watching you... What was your experience? Share it with us, please? =)
bettinawesome (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
I saw Mt. Cristobal already this year when we had our Outbound. We never climbed it but I had an "experience" in Mt. Banahaw.:)
elriz23 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
wew! That's creepy! Some mountains really have those lost spirits... Some would want to do you harm but some would try to help you like the one I read about a ghost in Mt. Apo...
LeeChen (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Wow! I totally had my mouth agape reading this!

Coincidentally, I visit my family in the Philippines every 2 years, and they tell me of stories of Spirits leading the living to the very same deaths that they experienced when they were alive, for example; leading the living to a cliff of some sort (just like your story)... Quite creepy! 😨
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Hi Ghost of you, you got me glued in my chair for a while! I lived myself so much into this story, as if I was there myself! It is a realy creepy experience.
Sounds like the couple want to kill others the same way they themselves were killed...
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
HappySpirit: Glad you liked it! πŸ˜‰ More to come, guys... Just help me understand why these things are happening to me... 😊 Thank you for reading! 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
DeviousAngel: I'm glad you enjoyed. I also enjoy sharing my stories to you guys. πŸ˜‰ I promise to post more stories in the coming days. Thank you for reading! 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
geetha50: Hello. I hope I have answered your question, too. Thank you for reading. Take Care. 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
generalchaos: That is a great question and I really appreciate you asking that. We found out about the answers when we we're seen offering candles by the locals. Believe it or not, the first thing they said to us was "Nakita nyo rin sila?" which means, "You saw them, too?" Its really freaky the way they knew even if we never told anything. Here are your answers, by the way...:

How is it known which paths they took, or even the number of people lost to begin with?

Locals have been hearing about the stories but never gave it any attention, they just thought it was a couple of hikers who wanted to make more "Campfire Stories" about the mountain. Until a time came when the people at registrations got bothered because everyone has the SAME creepy story to tell, all coming from groups that trekked during the night, and its always about a couple of "kind-hearted" hikers... Just like what we experienced. Though our hike was never intended to be a night trek, as you know the reason why. As to the path, all hikers have also been led to same deadly LEFT Trail.

They conducted a search, when they saw that there was a drop at the end of the trail, they descended and used a different path at the back of Mt. Banahaw. They all thought the bodies were probably eaten by wild animals for they never found any.

I hope this answered your questions. Sorry, it's not that clear, for we never hiked Mt. Cristobal again, so we never found out about any developments. Thank you for reading! 😊
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
ghost_of_you ~ wow, I've never seen anything like that, thank you for answering, look forward to hearing what more you have to share 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
Jav: Thank you so much! It's such a wonderful comment. 😊 Offering our sincerest prayer is the only thing we can think of. We really hoped that helped them find peace in the after life. It just seemed so unfair for them to lose their life that way. They could have done so many things. *We never hiked on Mt. Cristobal again.*
You have put so much trust in me, I can't wait to share more stories. But you have to get used to the fact that most of them happened while we were on a hike, though... 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
DragonStorm80: They look so human, one reason why we trusted them. They don't shimmer, and they are not transparent... Up until now, your last question remains a mystery to me, too. Thank you for reading. 😊
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
[at] Temilicious: Thank you! 😊I know what you mean. It just scares me more just thinking if others we're not as lucky as we were.
ghost_of_you (2 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-17)
emociara: Yes. We also hope that would be the case. Come to think of it, it's more sad than scary. Thank you for reading. 😊
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Great story! Had me on the edge of my seat and was emotionally poignant too.
Generalchaos has some good questions though - how would anyone know about the lost lovers beyond the fact that they simply mysteriously disappeared one night?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Thank you for sharing this story! You have a way of telling them that I really enjoy. This was a very creepy experience and I am glad your friends are all okay. I hope their spirits are in peace now.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
I agree with Temilicious that it was good of you to offer them a candle lit prayer after they led you down a dangerous. This is a well written story and going to my favourites also.

But I have the same questions as generalchaos and I hope you can answer them.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
Wonderful story, but I have a couple of questions about what Mitch told you.

If the two couples went hiking at midnight, and no one knew they were there (registrations closed), their bodies were never found, and no one came looking for them, how is it known which paths they took, or even the number of people lost to begin with?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-16)
ghost_of_you!
You brought another wonderful experience for us to read. I knew you would. πŸ˜‰
Oh my gosh! This is going to my favorites! I love the way you told this entire experience. It was like I was right there with you. Absolutely riveting.
It seems sad that they are still roaming the mountain, but it is frightening to find out they had led you to such a dangerous place. I believe the stories about them must be true, and that they tried to make you a permanent member of their group.
But I also love that you stopped to offer prayers and light candles for them. That was the perfect ending for that hike I think.
Thank you for sharing another wonderful experience with us. You even outdid your last one! 😲

Jav 😊
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
When your group saw the couple did they appear solid like totally human? It's sad what happened to them, I am just wondering if its possible for ghosts to manifest so strongly they can look so solid as to be human?
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
def going to one of my favourites. I liked your story, it was very well written and I love the fact that you guys said a prayer for the lovers. No one deserves to relive such a horrible experience. Let's hope they 'passed on' after the prayer. What a miracle that your friend survived as well.
emociara (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-15)
awwww that sad an scary at the same time 😐 I really hope the couple can rest in peace

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: