You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Ghost Friend George

Real Ghost Stories

My Ghost Friend George

 

I have visited this website for a couple of years and finally decided to share some experiences of my own. I have always been interested in the paranormal. I do believe that some things can be explained and are not paranormal and others can not be explained and are paranormal. Here are some things that I have witnessed that just can't be explained...

I am a nurse and I work in an acute care rehab hospital (physical rehab, not drug/alcohol rehab). My hospital is about 20 years old. We take care of a lot of people who have had hip and knee replacements as well as those who have had a traumatic brain injury. Most of the people we get have major medical health issues besides just having surgery. Some are pretty sick and unfortunately, some have passed away at our facility.

In the past four years that I have worked here, I have witnessed some strange occurances. One of the first things that happened was in room 209. The whole hall had been shut down due to some renovations of the rooms. It was about 10:30 pm (I work the night shift 6p to 6a). Several of us heard this loud noise coming from down the hall. One of the nurse techs walked down to 209 where the noise was coming from and opened the door. She quickly ran back to the nurse's station and was white as a ghost (she is African-American!). I went to the room to see what was going on. There in the room was a 5 gallon bucket that holds the joint compound or "mud" the workers use on the walls. In the bucket one of the workers had left what looks like a cordless screwdriver handle with a long paddle that stirs the "mud". The tool was on and the paddle was hitting the side of the bucket causing the loud noise. I looked to see if there was anything that would have caused the tool to turn on. Where the "on" switch was, there was no way that anything could have hit it and turned it on! Pretty creepy! Needless to say, my tech did not go back down that hall for a long time!

The next thing that happened was in room 207. Another tech and I were in room 206 across the hall from 207. First let me explain the lay out of the rooms. There are 2 beds in each room. The head of the beds face east and the foot of the beds face west of course! The door to the rooms open where you see the foot of the beds. All the rooms are set up this way so that when you walk down the hall and look into the rooms, you see the foot of the beds.

Anyway, the tech and I were in room 206. The tech was at the bed that is by the window and I am standing directly at the foot of the bed by the door and the hallway. I am facing the foot of the bed when I see out of the corner of my eye a little old woman in dark navy blue pants and a white sweater. This lady seems to be walking out of room 207. Now, the tech and I had just left 207 to go into 206. The only people that were in 207 were 2 men that were the patients. The tech and I looked at each other funny. I asked her if she saw what I saw without describing the lady to her. She describe the lady to me to a "T"! We both bolt to the hallway thinking one of our female patients had gotten out of bed and was walking the hallway. There was NO ONE there! We checked all the rooms and EVERYONE was sound asleep! From the time we saw the "old lady" to the time we bolted to the hallway was only a matter of seconds! There was no way that anyone could get back into their room and in bed that fast!

It sounds cliche' but things seem to act up more around full moons! Down one particular hall of the hospital, there are times when I will be walking to the end of the hall to help a patient and I will hear footsteps following me and the closer I get to the end of the hall, the colder it will get! I know that it is not my footsteps that I am hearing echoing in the hall. I wear tennis shoes and I walk quietly so as not to wake up my patients. The footsteps sound like a man that is wearing dress shoes walking on the tile. Several of us have had the same experience. We have also heard our name whispered in our ear down that same hall! This doesn't happen every night but more often around a full moon.

The next event centers around a "ghost" that I have sweetly named "George". Don't know why I named him that, it just came to me. George is a trickster. He means no harm. He just wants people to know that he is here. We have a call light system in each of the rooms. The patients have to hit a red button and a white light flashes above the outside of their room and also beeps at a phone at the nurse's station. When we pick the phone up, it allows us to talk to the patient to see what their needs are. The only way to turn off the flashing light above the patient's door is to physically go to their room and push a button on the wall to turn the "call light" off. The only way for the "call light" to go off above their door and for the phone to beep is if the patient pushes the red button by their bed. Also, when the phone beeps, a screen on the phone lights up telling you which room and bed is calling.

Well, George has figured a way around this system! This only happens at the West nursing station. (we only have 2 stations, west and east. We are a small 64 bed hospital). When George wants to let you know that he is here the phone will beep and light up on the screen it says "clean utility". This is were we keep our clean linens. There is NO call bell to be pushed in that room. There is a box in that room where you have to go in there to turn off the bell. When I go to push the button to turn it off, it is freezing cold in there when it usually isn't. I just say "Hi George!" and he stops for the night. However, a couple of times I was so busy that I just ran in and turned it off and forgot to say "Hi". George kept messing with me until I did say "hi" and then he stopped!

A couple of times when he has turned the bell on, I will say "George is here" and I will get up to go turn it off and he does it for me! I stand up and the bell stops! This has been witnessed by all of us here!

Maintance has even checked to see if there was some kind of shortage and they found nothing. Everything was working as it should!

Sometimes, especially around Halloween, we all will start to talk about our ghost experiences and George will visit us right in the middle of our stories! That call bell will go off and we just say "George is in the house!"

I have never felt any bad "spirits" here at all. I always get good vibes from this place and hopefully always will. I love my job and taking care of people, even if they are on the "other side"!

Sorry that this has been such a long post but I hope ya'll (sorry, I'm a Texas girl) have enjoyed reading it!

Take care!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sharks77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sharks77 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-03)
First off, I would like to thank you guys for a warm welcome onto this site! I enjoyed ya'lls comments! I am so glad that you all enjoyed my story.
Just a quick update, I worked on Sunday the night before Halloween. I hadn't heard from George in awhile but he made his presence known in the usual fashion! The utility light came on and as I went to turn it off, I said "Hi George" and he turned it off before I could! You gotta love him!
I will be posting another story soon that envolves my husband when he was a child.
Take care everyone and I look forward to reading ya'lls stories too! ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
I'm not surprised that you experienced what you did. Places like hospital tend to have a few ghosts that decide to hang around. This is the first time that I have heard of activity happening around the full moon time but then again, I wouldn't be surprised. I also agree with Javelina about people working the night shift experiencing the paranormal more often than the others. I enjoyed your story and I hope to hear more from you!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
Great story Sharks77, I'm glad that you have taken kindly to George, I'm sure he apprecites your acknowledgement of him.
The full moon theory I have also heard of, something to do with geomagnetic conditions them and solar storms create this and it is said to bring out a lot more paranormal activity. This is just a theory remember. Hope to hear more from you. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-23)
Sharks77,
I sure am glad you decided to share these experiences with us. These are great!
I have also held the theory that a full moon enhances paranormal activity. It makes perfect sense really. You can ask any cop that works the night shift, or the folks that work late shift in the ERs, bartenders and cab drivers. They'll all tell you they know when it's a full moon without even looking. Everything is just "different" (for lack of a better word). It stands to reason that the spiritual activity would pick up then.
I also have experienced a trickster spirit. His name was George as well. 😉 You can find his story on my profile, if you're interested (Captain's Anchorage 1 and 2). He was never a mean guy, just a trickster.
You have a wonderful attitude about him. And I can tell by your account of his actions that he appreciates it. How fun!
Thanks so much for sharing him with us, and I hope we hear from you again soon.

Jav 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
I really enjoyed your story and good on you for accepting good old George the prankster, still trying to impress the nurses it would seem.😆 thank you for sharing and I hope this story encourages other's to put away there's anti spray bottles and potions...😉 😁

Daz
loca_mocha (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
Huh I have never heard that a full moon has spiked paranormal activity! It is very interesting. I will have to see what happens the next full moon lol ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
wonderful post thanks for sharing 😁
Have to say I think it is great you all accept george being around and had to laugh when you said he kept setting the call bell off when you did not say hi.
Some of the other spirits hanging around could be a bit freeky though the old lady in the corridor for a start!
Hope you have more to post.
Carl
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
This is an awesome story, I'd like to visit this place! I'm not surprised that it's haunted and it must be amazing to experience all these things yourself. Cold temperatures usually indicates the presence of a spirit, hence why you felt so cold in the linen room and at the end of the hall. I believe that activity would increase around the full moon. They say people can be affected by the full moon (people's moods and births) so why not spirits? I find the story about George particularly interesting and comical. It must be nice to have a friendly ghost who performs in such a specific manner.
Hamza212 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
wow it must be so cool to know a friendly ghost! The ones I always see are scary and I just run off.:P
SoulSeeker (4 stories) (15 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-19)
I heard that full moons spike paranormal activity. I like to view the glow from the moon (brightest when full) as like the infrared from a camera. I notice investigators tend to see more apparitions with infrared light than with their own eyes so it would only make sense that if the glow from the moon acts like infrared does, then people will witness more apparitions and activity with their own eyes during a full moon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: