You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Frightened And Stressed

Real Ghost Stories

Frightened And Stressed

 

I am new to this website and found it because I was looking up hauntings and I would like some advice on whether I have a ghost in my home or not...

My boyfriend and I live in an old house in the historical centre of an old town in Sardinia. Everything was fine when we first moved in (I should point out that we rent our house), but over the last few months strange things have started happening. The strange things normally happen when I'm home alone.

First it started with the lights in our house flickering, again I would be in the house by myself. (My boyfriend and I work in aviation so we work shifts which is why I'm home alone a bit.) I put down to old wiring as our house is over 100-years-old. Then after a few months of this, I would be getting up earlier (0400) and I would find all the taps downstairs on, there is no reason for this.

This has been going on randomly for a while, normally when I'm home alone. One morning I woke up and I had two scratches on the upper part of my right leg. I have no idea to this day how I got them. I ignored this, although I will admit I was freaked out. (I have a picture of the scratches but don't know how to upload) so I carried on as per normal.

But tonight (I'm home alone again) I went to the upstairs to go to bed and I could hear what I can only describe as groaning coming from the bathroom, which scared me as I had no rational explanation for it and I was too scared to go in and see what it might be.

I have spoken to my boyfriend about what is happening, but he is very much a seeing or experiencing is believing sort of person and nothing seems to happen when he is around, but he cannot be around all the time.

I know my story isn't thrilling, but I would like some information as to what could be happening and how to deal with it. Is my house haunted?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LadyLaide, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

LadyLaide (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-29)
Hi all,

Sorry for not posting back for such a while, I haven't been on the website for a while due to life being a bit hectic!
Thank you so much for your comments and help, I now no longer live in the house in question due to my boyfriend and I breaking up but I thought I would update you with developments that happened before I left.
After posting my experience I had a friend stay at my house whilst my boyfriend and I were away (she had to move out of her apartment) the thing with the taps happened to her too and I had never mentioned to her my experience as I didn't want to frighten her.
I also woke up one morning with a bruise that looked like a bite mark on my leg (my boyfriend was away and no, I hadn't been naughty) that was quiet scary.
Lastly I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't move, I was conscious but couldn't move any part if my body. I don't remember why but my boyfriend woke up and then I was able to move again.
It wasn't long after that that my relationship ended and I moved into a new home and have had no signs of anything 'going bump in the night' and my new home is in the new section of town. I did try to ask the landlady for a history of the house but all she said was that she inherited it from her grandfather and that he had died...
Thank you all for posting back, using rational explanations did help me feel more relaxed whilst I was there alone even though the things I mentioned happened on a regular basis. Thank you all again.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
I find myself having to agree with Miracles on this one. The electricity could be very well due to the age of the house. But, the water taps being on downstairs? Seriously, everyone is just putting it down to plumbing? Taps, no matter how old they are should never do that (be turned on), maybe dripping, but never be actually turned on.
LadyLaide, I would suggest you get your landlord to check out the problem, or a plumber, just to keep your mind at ease. And, if they can't find anything wrong with the taps, then you could possibly bless the house (if you want).
Please let us know as to any new developments.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
AllieAllison (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
i don't really think its anything parinormal... It could just be the wiring and/or plumming. Tings liek that happen in old houses. I have had a simaler experiece wiht my friend (shall we call him...Joe) anywho he would hear creeks (like foot steps) and grons. He contacted an expert and they found nothing. A year later Joes parens got the floors replaced and he didn't hear the "foot steps" agian. Honestly I could be wrong but I think your safe 😲
Sailors_Sweetheart0413 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
The age of your home leads me to believe that it's just some household troubles. However, if you're sure it's paranormal then it sounds like a poltergeist. They're usually the ones making things go "bump" in the night 😜

I'd say to look for different reasons these things are happening. Go check the bathroom and see if the groans are coming from the wall (old plumbing) or the atmosphere (paranormal)

Best of luck

~Minnie ❤
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
All these things seem quite capable of natural explanations, especially given the age of the house. Plumbing, for instance, can easily sound like groaning and even breathing. Even the taps turning on could be a result of the age of the plumbing, although I am not an expert so I would consult with a plumber about this. Try to keep an open mind, but not so open that you allow your fear to get the better of you and turn every little sound into something paranormal and sinister. Even if this is paranormal, there's no evidence it is harmful at this point.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
DaphneJuanita - just curious. Why did you say, "a lot of times men are not sensitive to these things"? I'd really like your answer before I say anything more.
DaphneJuanita (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
you should keep track of all experiences and check out history of house asap, your boyfriend may not see or experience anything because whatever it is may not be interested in him and a lot of times men are not sensitive to these things... Try not to give it any energy by being afraid and if it is a haunting remember you have the advantage, your living! Research, research, good luck!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
The sinks may, depending on their age, be turning themselves on due to 'water pressure' changes. You may want to have them checked... At least replace the gaskets for the handles. Just a thought.

Miracles is correct, a Journal is the best way to not only keep track of your experiences but they can help you figure out if they are normal or paranormal.

Respectfully,

Rook
harsh (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Do you believe in your GOD? If yes then its your test and prove it that you believe in him... At least keep some pics of your god at home and instead of going to church all the time, sometimes do offer prayers at home atleast every day in the morning... Its most powerful thing to do... No matter the disturbance keep praying and complete... When you pray you will see abnormal activities going on then don't get nervous because its the spirit which becomes nervous when you pray... Just smile back and continue because its the indication of your victory... 😁

Actually I am indian... We are taught of spirituality in our young age because no matter how advanced or modern you may be, there is always some truth you cannot deny ever.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Older plumbing definitely groans. I would chock it up to that if you only hear it in the bathroom or areas where there are water pipes.

Scratches could possibly have come from somewhere, but keep an eye out in case you start getting new ones.

I don't know what to tell you about the water turning on by itself, other than my sister has the same thing happen to her frequently. Her and her boyfriend live in an apartment complex and theirs turns on a lot by itself. They don't have an explanation for it either, so they simply call it "The Thirsty Poltergeist". I know that doesn't really help you, but at least you know you're not the only one this phenomenon happens to! Their maintenance guys don't have any reason for it either, they have called and had guys come out. Good luck! Try not to be afraid, but definitely keep tabs on those scratches.
marls2001 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
ask the landlord how many people have lived in that house and why they moved. If he doesn't know then you
Should ask your boyfriend to stay at home with you a day
Or two on his normal work days, if nothing happens then
I don't know whatyou should do. Hope this helps! 😁
mrfear672india (106 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
I agree with miracles,
It might have been electrical problem.
The groaning sound may be from outside. When you are in scary mood you can feel negative always try to divert your mind.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
LadyLaide - you're right about the electric. It could very well be due to the fact that the home you rent is 100-years-old. I have to admit, all the taps being on downstairs is rather odd unless there was a serious water surge that caused the pressure to turn them all on 😕.

Now, the groaning from the bathroom. Is it possible, because you are already afraid, that you might have mistaken the groaning sounds old plumbing makes for something paranormal?

Before scaring yourself to death, take a deep breath and try and figure out if there is something else that could be causing these sounds. Especially considering you live in a very, very old home. And the fact that you are there alone, you're going to hear all sorts of strange noises. Add to that your shift change, normal old-home noises are going to sound different during different hours of the day, especially night-time to daytime.

The scratches? Most people are going to tell you that unless there are 3 scratches, then that's nothing to be worried about. What I'm going to do, though, is suggest you do what I did when my daughter kept waking up with scratches. I checked everything, and I do mean everything, in her bed -- even down to the mattress. My mom even helped me. We took our hands over my daughter's bare mattress to make sure there wasn't a loose staple or that hard plastic thread the manufacturer's use on the mattresses. I washed every piece of bedding she had. But in my daughter's case, she still kept waking up with scratches. 😕

One thing that a few of us recommend is keeping a journal. Since you are alone a lot, it really might help you. Keep track of these incidents: dates, times, what seems to trigger them (if you can figure that out), where the sound is coming from. Maybe you can eliminate a few of the things that are scaring you.

Good luck 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: