You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ridgeway

Real Ghost Stories

Ridgeway

 

Once in a while I search for ghost stories etc. Which is how I came across this site two weeks ago, when it reminded me of my own experience/dream. I'm still not sure if it was real, but I remember it as though it was.

It was in my old house (council) which sat on the end of a road named Ridgeway and just merging onto Whitesfield. I was around 4 or 5 when this happened. One morning I awoke at dawn, just as the sun was breaking through. I don't recall what made me do it, but I knelt upon my bed and looked out of the window.

What I saw, on the smallest strip of grass that parted my driveway from the right-hand-side neighbour's, were 4/5 miners digging at the ground with what looked like pick axes. I shouted for my Mum, asking her to look outside, but when she did, she said there was nothing there and told me to go back to sleep. I don't know what happened next, whether I fell asleep or if the rest of my "dream" was void, but I remember waking in the morning to find that there was nothing outside when I looked. The grass was perfect and untampered, as though there hadn't been anyone digging at it all.

I told my mum last weekend about my "dream" and asked if I called out to her at all, but she doesn't remember and now thinks I'm crazy! This was still bugging me by Saturday and after searching for the history of Ridgeway and only getting house valuations, I instead searched for "coal mining in Nailsea" and it came up straight away.

The excitement I felt was unreal! I came to learn that there were 27 pits in the town, two of which I believe we're on Silver Street (just up the road from Ridgeway) and Whitesfield. I couldn't find anything though, to suggest that my road was also once a part of this. After much searching, I came across a kind of timeline that I will post shortly, which details everything including where some (not sure if all) pits were amongst other historical events. Nailsea was also a centre for glass blowing, which I remember there used to be a Bristol Blue Glass building in the centre.

My aunt and nan have claims to the paranormal, so hopefully I'm not crazy and I really did see something. Otherwise, it was a very odd dream and coincidental, because at the time I don't think I knew what a miner even was!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laurosawrrrr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Laurosawrrrr (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-25)
Thanks! Yeah that makes sense, I hadn't heard about that theory. I did try looking at deaths, but could only find a couple or so who had fallen in, but not any that I know could have been outside my house. I guess I can't know for definite what it was, I only saw them once and I moved away from that house when I was six, but I do appreciate all suggestions, I don't know much about the paranormal or playbacks.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
I know I am late to say this but, Welcome to YGS!
One thing I should note here is that one of the theories behind how residual images and sounds get 'recorded' into the environment is the mineral content of the surrounding area, soil, and bedrock. There are natural properties in certain minerals that when combined the result is thought to give it the ability to record sounds and images either randomly or spurred on by another force of nature. Lightening storms because of the electrically charged atmosphere. Even wind storms that occur during a dry spell can produce high amounts of static electricity. These elements are enough to get the ball rolling.
And of course, the reason I went into this lengthy explanation was because of the Miners you saw digging.
Now, if this was a residual image you witnessed it would make perfect sense. The miners were above ground but digging, which is why you saw them there. If they were below ground you wouldn't see them at all. They could have been clearing debris from an air shaft or collecting soil samples. And that scene just happened to be recorded. This recording is just like it sounds, a simple recording. A short film clip you were able to watch as it played back. And if this were the reason you saw what you did that day, you can be reasonably certain it wasn't a spirit or ghost of someone who passed. Just a film clip on a random playback schedule.

Sorry this was so long, but I never can tell what a new member knows about the different types of encounters and what they mean.

Jav
Laurosawrrrr (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Ha thanks guys. I wish I could remember more, but I don't): my mum just laughed and called me crazy, and my partner just didn't believe me at all, he doesn't think that kind of thing is real. I asked my nan about her experiences and she said she's always been able to see/hear things and called it a gift. I do think I'd know though if I had been hallucinating!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Laurosawrrrr: Yeah, I wouldn't pay any attention to the troll...They're just writing comments to say to they did LOL 😆 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Laurosawrrr - please don't be so upset over the comment about hallucinating. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the comment and this is definitely that time.

I agree that being told by your partner and your mum that you may have been hallucinating would definitely hurt your feelings and cause you some doubt. I've been there. Actually, my brother told me I sound schizophrenic 😉, so I understand. But don't take what arina said to heart. Please. Actually, I disregard everything arina says 😉

I found your story very interesting and have been wondering what exactly you did see: something from the past or a future event? But I don't think you were dreaming... Or hallucinating.
Laurosawrrrr (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Hallucinating? I think not. I understand it may not necessarily have been real, and it could have in fact web a dream; but I was four years old and I doubt I even knew what a miner was, let alone what they look like. Then, upon finally researching, I find that my town was a centre for mining until the early 1900s. Rook may be right, it may have been future as opposed to past, because I suppose anything may be possible given thought, and I have had dreams before, where the following day something similar happens, but hallucinating?! No and I think if it were, I'd have had more experiences of 'hallucinating' which is usually due to a mental disorder or serious illness, of which I have had neither. I'm sorry for the rant, but I take offense at being told I may have been seeing things. I didn't post my experience to be ridiculed, which I already have been by my Mum and my partner, who don't believe in such things! I thought I would get support, maybe even find out if it was a possibility that I did experience something real. Also, just for your information, I have experienced two other separate occasions, but nothing to that extent, hence why I haven't posted those as well.

This comment from arina is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Laurosawrrrr (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
Maybe, I'm not sure, but thanks for your thoughts. I remember them looking quite dark, but I don't recall hearing anything, so I can't be sure of what I was (or wasn't) seeing.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
The flips side to miners from the past would be a 'flash of the future'. Perhaps what you saw was utility workers digging for a pipe?

Just a thought...

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
A dream? A quick glimpse of a time slip?

This is fascinating to me. I hope some of the more experienced posters here (I am not one of them!) can offer an explanation.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: