You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Banging Heard An Figures Seen On My Backyard

Real Ghost Stories

Banging Heard An Figures Seen On My Backyard

 

I am Luke and I am from the UK. I live in a quiet area thirteen miles away from Derby and I am going to share with you one of several strange situations which have occured in my house. For my first story, I will talk about the stuff me and my brother have witnessed/heard this year. I am not 100% sure if it is a paranormal experience, so please don't have a go but feel free to express your opinions. When I find the time, I will post other occurrences which have unfolded in my house from 2007 and 2008. But for now, let's begin with this year's experiences...

I am not 100% sure if my house is haunted, or if the stuff I have witnessed is just a figment of my imagination or random occurrences stringed together in perfect timing. I am not sure whether I believe in ghosts or the paranormal, but I sure am open to believing it. The first strange thing I will talk about happened in the early morning hours of January 2nd, 2012. Before we get into the real details, I will talk about the layout of my house. I live on a lane of six cottages just up from the main road. The houses date back to World War 2 at least, I believe.

My house is the fourth house on the row and we have a small porch with our big front door entering the porch, and a second door immediately entering into our living room. The living room is very large and was originally two rooms divided by a large wall; the place where the wall used to be can still be seen. Anyway, we have a large front window looking onto our front two gardens next to the porch in the living room, and one symmetrically spaced on the opposite side of the room, looking onto our backyard: we have cream coloured blinds over these windows which are always pulled down to the bottom of the window at night. Next to this back window is the door to the kitchen, which is a very small room which has a door leading onto the backyard and also a window looking out onto it. Our dining table, TV, my dog's box where he sleeps and our sitting area are all spaced out in the living room. As soon as you enter our living room, if you turn right you see the white door leading to upstairs. If you go through this door, you will see the stairs and the first room you will see is my Mum and Dad's bedroom, next is mine and my brother's room (we share) and if you carry on you will come to the bathroom, which is directly above the kitchen. Above the landing next to the door to my room is the entrance to the attic, where all our Christmas decorations are stored. My bedroom looks out onto the backyard. So that is a brief layout of my house, so let's get on with the story.

So it is the early morning hours of 2nd January 2012, I am in bed reading my new books which I got for Christmas and my brother is in the bunk bed directly above me, he is fast asleep. It is at least 2:00am in the morning when I finally finish reading. I would be going back to college on the 4th of January, so I was trying to stay up as late as I could before I had to go back to college again.

When I finished reading I put my book down on the draw next to me and placed my head torch next to it. As I put my head down, I closed my eyes and everything was silent, everyone but me was fast asleep. So I closed my eyes, and all of a sudden there was a really loud and fast paced banging. I immediately shot up and sat up in my bed, and my dog woke up and started loudly barking. This is how I knew I was not dreaming but neither my Mum, Dad or brother woke up.

The banging sounded like the glass on my kitchen door or window was being hit really hard by a fist, both the glass on the kitchen door and window are double glazed and sound really loud when hit. The banging lasted at least ten seconds and then just automatically stopped: my dog calmed down again soon after.

I really struggled sleeping that night as I tried to think about what it could have been. We have a wooden gate leading onto our backyard, and a six foot wall surrounding the rest of it, so any intruders would have easily been heard in advance as the gate is really loud. But someone HAD been in our backyard that night, whether it was paranormal or not. The strange thing is, the banging stopped soon after my dog started barking, but there was no sound of footsteps fleeing or any voices heard, it just abruptly stopped. I was rattled, to say the least.

The next morning, I told my Mum, Dad and brother about what I heard but they said none of them heard any banging, they didn't even hear our dog start barking.

Just for more intrigue, in the summer of 2011 (July or August) my Mum told me that she heard banging from the backyard in the night and heard my dog barking, and as he was a small puppy who we had only recently purchased at the time, she went to see if he was OK. She only said he looked really shaken and rattled, but thought nothing more of it.

And soon after, in October or November of 2011, me, my brother, Mum, Dad and dog were all sat the living room watching TV, but my dog was looking in a daze towards the other side of the room, towards the kitchen door and backyard. He wouldn't even go over to that side of the room for some reason, it was strange, but we all dismissed it.

So back to the main storey, I left the banging incident at that, assuming it was just a dream or my imagination. Nothing else would happen until August 2012, in the run up to our holiday to Ibiza. I was not witness to these events, my brother was, but I will include them in the story.

Despite it being the six week summer holidays for my brother, he always came up to bed relatively early. I was doing an apprenticeship now, as I had finished college successfully in June 2012. So I was also going to bed relatively early as well. It was about 10:30pm in late July or early August, I cannot recall the exact date. So I was in my bed reading, and my brother had gone back downstairs for some reason. He came up about fifteen minutes later and looked shaken and nervous and peaked through our closed curtains onto the backyard, and I knew something had happened. I asked him what he'd seen, and he said he went downstairs and sat on the sofa furthest from the backyard and had all the lights off apart from the TV. The TV was illuminating the far end of the room, and as my brother looked towards the backyard window, he saw the silhouette of a human figure through the blinds, facing the direction of our kitchen. Panicked, he claimed he dived to the floor, crept up and turned the TV off, and ran upstairs, glancing once more at the silhouette to see if it was still there: it was.

I had doubts of his story, but I had to say that I believed him. I stood up out of my bed and opened the curtains and looked out onto the backyard but there was nothing there. I mentioned to him that our dog hadn't even barked, but it was at that moment that our dog let out a few protective barks and fell into silence. I fell asleep shortly afterwards and thought nothing more of it. We were due to fly to Ibiza for one week on the morning of 29th August 2012. We would be gone for one week and our dog was being sent to stay in a carers home a few miles from our house. We would be leaving for the airport at three in the morning, so we all decided to head to bed early.

Same as before, I was reading in bed again, and my brother headed back downstairs to watch TV again. When he came back upstairs, he said he had done the same as before and had all the lights off except for the TV, and he claimed he saw the silhouette again, this time closer to the kitchen door but again not moving. I assured him it was just his imagination, but in my head I had suspicions that what he was witnessing was real, and somehow connected to the banging I heard back in January. What rattled me most was the fact that my brother had seen the silhouette again on the night before we were due to leave for holiday, so if it wasn't something paranormal then it could have been someone closely watching our house and waiting for us to go on holiday. I'm not sure, you can decide on that.

We got back home last Wednesday, and so far everything has been fine, no banging, no silhouettes on the backyard, no nothing. Who knows what I heard and what my brother saw?

I think it's possible that they were paranormal experiences, and if this story proves popular then I will continue updating the progress of what, if anything, will happen in the future. And remember that I have other experiences from 2007 and 2008 that I will try and upload when I have the time.

Thank you for reading my story, and feel free to post your comments and opinions but if you are going to be harsh then please do not bother. I know this story is rough, as it's my first one. And just for the record, me and my family are not religious in case that would alter anyone's opinions. Thanks, Luke.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LukeW2012Xx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LukeW2012Xx (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Not been on here in ages haha! May be irrelevant now but nothing else has really happened in my house of note but I still remember these events clear as day! I am 22 now and still living in this house. Almost exactly a year after I heard the first bangs on the door/window in 2012 I heard similar noises again at the same time of night - must've been January 2/3 2013. But no nothing else has really happened that I can update you all on
LukeW2012Xx (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
I didn't think I'd get this much comments:L but thanks for them all. Firstly in response to Pjod yes I suppose it could have been the dog hearing us talk, but I don't know because we were talking very quietly but I don't know how good their hearing can be lol. And in response to Rookdygin, I don't think it was anything caused by the TV or the room configuration as last week I turned off all the lights and switched on the TV so it illuminated the back blind, and there was nothing there. I only did it for about 5 minutes though:L And we also keep everything in the room in the same position. And yes to the other question you asked, the two silhouettes my brother saw happened roughly around the same time on both occasions, but the banging I previously heard was between half one and two in the morning. Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them all 😁
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
"I mentioned that our dog did not even bark, it was at that moment our dog let out a few protective barks"
You would be surprised how many dogs out there think there name is "dog" and respond to the word. I'm guilty of not using our dog's name around the house, as much as I should- refering to him as "the dog", in which he perks up after hearing that.
I know the above is petty, but could be a reason why the dog barked when he did.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
Not to be a 'nay stayer' but could the silhouette that your brother saw have been caused by a trick if the light from the T.V. And the way things were arranged in the room prior to the vacation?

Did the events always happen close to the same time of night? If so it's possible it's a residual haunting.

Just a couple of things to consider. Please keep us updated and I look forward to more submissions from you.

Respectfully,

Rook
vstoljockey (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-17)
dogs have skill to sense and see paranormals
God bless you and give you strength
misstee4 (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
You and your brother should keep a phone or camera nearby in case one of you see it again or even get your parents to go check it out and see for themselves just to confirm what or who it could be.
millers1982 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
I think you should keep us updated on this story as it was interesting. I have heard a few times that dogs and cats can sense spirits. And maybe some sort of security camera would be an idea.
LukeW2012Xx (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
Thanks for the comments, I will keep you posted on any future activities when I can:)
RainLight430 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
I have had something similar to this. I have 4 dogs, one which sleeps in my room, she wakes me up in the night by growling and watchig my door, I have heard knocking and seen stuff outside my window. Once when me my mum and her boyfriend was sat downstairs watching the tv all the dogs seamed on edge, about 10 minutes later the window next to the sofa we was sat on well it sounded like someone puniched it or slapped it and it was Very load, we walked outside to have a look and nothing was there, my sister who was upstairs in her bedroom opend her window and said that some thing hit her window and she thought it was one of us throwing something big at it, but still that sound had gone through the hole house -Rach
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
Also, I have a tip when checking something that your brother may observe. If you see something when you go and check, before you reveal anything to your brother what you saw, ask him to describe exactly what he saw, to see if it matches what you see. Would be interesting to see if it is a spirit. Try to note the occurences. Is the banging heard the same time on the same night? Are there any patterns of behaviour and movement with the noise and the intruder?
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
Interesting experiences Luke, keep posting! If there's anything more your brother experiences, see if you can also check it out and spot this apparition, it would be interesting to see if it is still there when you double check what your brother has seen.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: