You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Something Was Living In That Backyard

Real Ghost Stories

Something Was Living In That Backyard

 

In 2008 I was living with my ex-boyfriend, and was pregnant with our daughter. We lived in a back one bedroom "guest" house behind his parents' home.

When they moved into their house back in 1993, the guest house was not there. The whole backyard was overgrown brush, with a small open-aired shack where the guest house now stands. My ex's father told me that the shack had cages attached to the walls and there were scratch marks on the walls also. The cages looked rusty, so they had to have been out there for a while. Around a tree in the backyard they found a bone buried shallowly. They thought it was a dog's bone but had it checked out and it turned out to be a human radius bone. Weird.

Well, back to the story. We would always hear weird noises in the backyard at night. One evening, close to the event this post is mainly about, my ex's mother was standing in the backyard smoking a cigarette with her friend. She said she felt a gust of air over her head, and saw a black shadowy figure quickly shoot over their heads toward the tree. They both screamed and ran into the house and told us what happened. We laughed at them and told them jokingly it was an alien coming to get them. After that night, whenever we heard a strange noise, we would say it's the alien living in the tree.

About a week later, give or take a few days is when it happened. My ex and I were in our back house, with me in the bedroom and him in the living room watching TV. It was around 1:00 AM. Suddenly the dogs that were in the pen at the side of the front house started barking uncontrollably. They were growling and barking as if they were very scared and trying to get at, or away from, something. All of a sudden, something was on top of the house. We heard a "galloping" noise on top of the roof and a strange wailing sound, but it wasn't the wind. There was no wind that night. I ran into the living room and grabbed him and we hugged each other, freaking out. The galloping continued for a few more seconds. It sounded as if there was a horse on the roof running in circles. Whatever it was it sounded large, there was no way it was a bird, opossum, or raccoon. The galloping suddenly stopped and the dogs were still going crazy. Then all of a sudden, a huge piece of the tree in the backyard fell on top of the house and in front of our front door. We looked out the front window to see a huge branch snapped off and came crashing down on us. We opened the door, climbing through all the leaves that were obstructing our path. My ex's parents came running out, asking if we were okay, and insisted we get in the front house as soon as possible.

We ended up sleeping in his mother's room, and not too long after laying down we awoke to an extremely eerie yowling noise off in the distance. It sounded inhuman, and like no kind of animal we have ever heard. It was low, and sounded horrifying. All of us in the house heard it, but it didn't happen again.

One of my friends that lived near where this took place, also experienced something similar. His backyard had a wall separating his yard from a large field the size of a football field. One night he heard his dog crying and barking, so he went out to see if he was all right. While outside, he told me he heard a scratching sound on the other side of the wall. He grabbed his dog and started to run inside, but heard a weird "voice". It sounded human, but not human at the same time. Then suddenly, it yowled this terrifying wailing noise, then it went totally silent. My friend told me it was the scariest sound he has ever heard. The thing is, he told me this long before I experienced what happened to my ex-boyfriend and I.

I have told others this story before and everyone says it was a mountain lion, cougar, raccoon, owl, you name it. But none of those gallop. Also, we were in Los Angeles, near no areas where larger wildlife live. We were not in a rural area, it was a city.

I still wonder what caused it to this day. If anyone can help me out with this, or has any idea what this could have been, please feel free to comment.

Other hauntings by CaliforniaK

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CaliforniaK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
Always the last to comment on an observation...but--could one REALLY call that..."living?"

😆
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
[at] sommerxx did you ever try to find the picture for the woman in the tree? Maybe that is all she needs to move on?
Girlie ❤!
reneespring (148 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Goats can sound human in a weird way. I agree with Pjod and Valkricry.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
Well,most mammals have the ability to gallop. Dogs, sheep,goats,cats, as well as horses. If this is the same place that your other account happens at, Pjod could be on to something.
As for the wailing - I know for a fact trees can make some horrific sounds when injured. It sounds crazy but it's true. When the tree in our front yard was struck by lightening it sounded exactly like a woman screaming! I wonder if a bolt of heat lightening (no rain present) may have stuck that tree causing the limb to fall?
deliriumdreamsicle (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
In the Philippines where I grew up (I live in California now), there is a tree creature called "KAPRE" who lives in big old trees... A big man usually smoking a tobacco and whose legs are so long that when he sits his knees are taller than his head. Something like that. When we were kids, my cousin used to see one through the window of the ancestral house of my dad's family (the house dates back to 1883 I think) and the old tree sat next to the house. Up to this day, he still doesn't want to look out that small window... And he's a doctor now... A successful cosmetic surgeon.

Another legend is the "TIKBALANG" which is half-man, half-horse who gallops around (more popularly known as "Centaur") and goes all the way back to ancient Philippines. I'm sure ancient Philippines had no knowledge of Greek mythology, eh? Interesting isn't it?

Anyway, I mentioned these because I believe that there is something universal about these "things" and it is not usually confined to a specific culture or country. The "universality" of the stories suggests that if there is really a common thread around the world which had no way of communicating stories back in the day, then these "things/creatures/legends" must be true. There was no Youtube or Facebook back then, but how come they talked about the same stuff?

So they must probably still exist in today's world, as witnessed by a few.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I like tuesdeys suggestion... It was michael jackson dancing on the roof hee hee-ing...:)
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Large cats, cougars, lynx sometimes come down to the city to get food. Their voices can be very creepily human sounding.

I am happy the dogs were not harmed ~ and especially you both and your unborn child.

A similar thing has happened to me. The next day, driving at 5am in the dark, my car's lights lit up the largest cat I had ever seen. It jumped from the garbage can it had been on to the nearby roof of a house.

I remembered that horrible wailing earlier. To this day, I'm still afraid of cats. No matter what their size.

Peace to you ~ glad you were not harmed by whatever it was ❤
Sommerxx (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I have heard there is some sort of old pagan ritual where if there was a spirit haunting a property or home, they would banish it to a tree. I did some research because my 4 year old cousin actually came to me and told me there was a woman in the tree in his backyard who talked to him and said that she wants a picture that has her and a man with the diamond, and that it was in the house, but she could not go in because it is not her house.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
could have been that pesky goat, mentioned in your previous account, grazing on the roof.
Tuesdey (guest)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I'm sorry that this comment isn't as serious as you may like it to be, but after describing an errie howling noise, all I could think of Michael Jackson's "Hee! Hee!". I've experienced whispers, laughter, and beings touching me, and even a face in a tree, but never something flying into a tree as you've seen. I really enjoyed this story. Do you fear for your daughter since she is a young child and an easy target for some dark soul trying to cause harm? Post anything you find peculiar, please.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: