You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Strange Puppy In Our Backyard

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange Puppy In Our Backyard

 

This happened, I think somewhere around 2016. We have neighbors that are into pets, especially those cute ones. We have a neighbor who has a Dachshund, Shih Tzu, American pit bull, Chihuahua and Japanese Spitz, so it's normal to see them around especially roaming around in our backyard. But what happened to me that night makes me wonder if that thing is a puppy or what.

I, and my sister with her children are just watching TV in our living room when I decided to get my dry laundry that I hanged in our backyard one late evening. I had been in a rush to get my clothes since the movie we are watching that time is a good movie and I don't want to miss a scene. In the backyard, there is a yellow light on the post, to light the area and also to prevent our neighbors who lived at the back who pass by to trip or fall because of darkness. I was busy collecting my clothes when I saw a Chihuahua in the back of the house that is beside ours and it was standing still and stiff in front of the only house standing at the back of our house (at Angie's house).

I stared at it and I felt something weird. The pup is just standing still and stiff with eyes open wide, ears standing stiff and smiling in the dark part of that small backyard of our neighbor's house at 11 pm.

I called my big sister since she worked as a helper in the eatery of our neighbor, which lived beside us and the one who owns "Bruno" a Chihuahua, because I know that she knows their pets and their pets will also come to her when she will call out to them. I shouted at her while still staring at the pup 10-12 feet away from me. I said "Te, Bruno is outside! I think he escaped from the cage!"

Then I glimpsed at the direction of my older sister when I did not hear her response then I looked back at Bruno and he was not there anymore. Then I saw with my peripheral view that something moved and hid behind a bamboo stick placed in our fireplace. I saw a foot of a goat. It's black and very small that it even fitted and can't be seen hiding from a small bamboo stick cut in half. I don't know what happened to me, but I just suddenly cried and went inside calling out my big sister.

I told her what happened and I told her that she should check Bruno outside. She did, but she said that he is not there and it's impossible that Bruno escaped from the cage when in fact every time they close the eatery at 3 pm all of their pets will be locked inside their house and when it's night time they are locked in their cages. And she also reminded me that there is also no chance that he escaped and went to the back portion of our neighbor's house from the back part of their house had been closed already (they had it walled).

So I felt more weirder of that thing I saw. I remembered that there is a rumor that there is a "Sigbin" (Sigbin or Sigben is a creature in Philippine mythology said to come out at night to suck the blood of victims from their shadows. It is said to walk backwards with its head lowered between its hind legs, and to have the ability to become invisible to other creatures, especially humans. It resembles a hornless goat, but has very large ears, which it can clap like a pair of hands and a long, flexible tail that can be used as a whip) in the backyard resembling to a pup. This is also why my uncle returned to his senses when one time also, they are drinking late night and he decided to pee near the well. He came back with a nervous face saying he saw a "Sigbin" and he did not continue to pee and rushed off. Then his drinking buddies laughed at him and he peed in the parking area instead.

So I don't really know if what I saw is a "Sigbin" in a form of a pup but I was scared and cried that time just seeing what had happened.

Other hauntings by deyanna

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, deyanna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-02)
Deyanna,

I don't know where in the Philippines you live but I'm wondering if it might be in the vicinity of Palawan. The reason for this is because you said that the animal looked like a Chihuahua and froze. Deer act like that, can jump in and out of enclosures and there are two small ones in the vicinity of Palawan which could be mistaken for a Chihuahua if female/ young in the first case or any specimen in the second. I'm referring to the Calamian deer and the Philippine mouse deer. Have a look at these and see if they could fit your geography and see if that might be what you saw.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-10)
Ugh, doing laundry is the worst! Whether you saw a cryptid/paranormal entity or not, clearly you felt uncomfortable. Do you feel like this entity is hanging around your home or that this was a one-off event? If it's possible continued presence is worrying you, then you should seek help based on your beliefs - Christianity isn't any more or less valid than any other religion or belief system - handle this the way that feels right to you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-06)
Haven - Thanks for your response.

That priest was obliged to bless your home, whether he believes in the paranormal or not. It's one of his duties. All Catholics know that. You could have reported him to the Bishop.

Regards, Melda
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-05)
Hello -

This is in reply to Melda's comment. I shared an experience I had not too long ago where I went and seeked the help of a catholic priest. Not only did he refuse to go bless my home but he told me and my house mate that we needed to stop believing in such nonsense. He said there is no such thing as ghosts and hauntings and that we are letting our imagination get the best of us. He said the dead don't come back. This made me feel very sad, also very alone. I thought they were there to help when I couldn't handle things on my own. This kind of reaction is why I don't talk to anyone about what I experience. For me, this site is the only place I can talk about my experiences.

I just want to add that this experience with this priest has in no way diminished my faith. My faith is still strong; I know that what I see and hear are real even if I'm told it's not by those whose 'duty' is to help.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Anno_Domini - There are so many "things" out there that we don't understand and as you point out, the cultural differences vary to a great extent.

What I have found very disturbing and also alarming is that not every pastor and priest is prepared to come to the aid of some individuals experiencing paranormal events. I have only read this on YGS and I certainly don't know it from personal experience. Unfortunately I don't remember who the people were that published these accounts about the reticence of the Christian clergy.

I was very fortunate in that when I had a very unwelcome spirit in my home, years ago, the Catholic priest was at my home in short shrift and whatever was causing the unrest in my home returned to wherever it belonged. Perhaps I shouldn't say "it", that sounds disrespectful. I know that it was a man although I didn't ever see him. He was not a nice guy 😨

People have their own belief systems and hopefully will take the necessary action accordingly.

Your faith is very strong AD and I commend you for that 😊

Regards, Melda
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Hi deyanna, indeed there are many South East Asian spooks like aswangs, pontianaks etc. That others from countries away do not understand. I believe that what you saw was realistic enough to cause you real fear. Whether it was indeed a sigbin only God knows. I do believe that these entities exist, and they are just another disguise of demons (feel free to view my profile to understand my point of view).

In many cases, people would be driven to seek solutions such as amulets or protection from witch doctors or arbularyos but I think the only way to be rid of such entities if they are disturbing you constantly is to seek help from a pastor or a priest.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-01)
Hi Lady-Glow, Cuddlebear & Deyanna.

Hi lady-Glow, you should be a detective. Your research is amazing. You open my eyes with your comments everytime. Thank you.

Hi Cuddlebear, I had a look at Wikipedia and your 100% right. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hi Deyanna, I did some more research on the Sigbin and apparently it has a bad smell. Did you or your uncle smell its presence?

Thanks for your reply.
Miandra
😘 ❤ 😘
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-01)
Deyanna - thanks for replying and, please bear with me since I'm afraid this is going to be a long comment.

I completely agree with you about the many unexplained things in this world and believe that science hasn't found an answer for everything. But I consider important to question our surroundings and experiences, if not to understand them, at least to avoid living in fear of even the littlest event that we cannot explain at the very moment we face it.

Sometimes a believer stops believing after questioning their beliefs... And some other times it takes only a question to start the journey that will turn an skeptic person into a believer.

About your story, I'm not saying that you didn't see Bruno. After clarifying that your sister asked the neighbours if they had let their pet out that night and they said "No", it makes me wonder if animals can have out of body experiences and what you saw was Bruno's spirit going out for a pee in his dreams.

As for the goat foot:
"I saw with my peripheral view that something moved and hid behind a bamboo stick placed in our fireplace. I saw a foot of a goat. It's black and very small that it even fitted and can't be seen hiding from a small bamboo stick cut in half."

It was night time, you had been watching TV, from your narrative I gather that the lighting wasn't exactly bright, not sure if there was a fire in the fireplace or only wood and bamboo sticks but, would it be possible that the 'goat foot' was your visual perception of a combination of the stuff in the hearth and the shadows cast by the little light at that moment?

Personally, my doubts are about the "Sigbin" whose description seems to be quite fantastic and more the product of superstition than facts but then, since I wasn't born a Filipino, I'm not programmed to believe in nor to fear this creature.

Is shape-shifting another of it's abilities? Did your uncle see it like a Chihuahua dog or under a different animal form or resembling its Wikipedia description?
If you saw an unfamiliar animal, would you assume it to be a "Sigbin" without first trying to see if it was an injured or sick animal?
Have you considered the possibility of an elemental spirit trying to prevent your uncle ('s stupid action) from polluting the water in the well?

My point and question is, why did you cry if you were not even sure that what you saw that night was threatening?
Do you always live your life afraid of the unknown and the unexplained?

Beliefs and traditions are a way to keep our roots alive but, in my opinion, it's important to update what works and to discard what doesn't. There's no reason to still think the same way as our ancestors the Neanderthals did. (Please don't take my last statement personal).

An example of outdated beliefs that people should forget is the "magical powers" of albino's body parts in some places in Africa.

Https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/africa/africa-albino-hunted-bones-malawi/index.html

Anyway, even if I don't believe in the existence of this creature, I enjoyed reading your story and think it is food for thought.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-01)
Lady-glow and Sleeping-with-Steve ~
Deyanna's description of the Sigbin (sucking blood from the shadows etc) is taken, verbatim, from Wikipedia.

Now where Wikipedia got the information I won't speculate. It appears to part of the lore.
deyanna (10 stories) (19 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-01)
Everyone,

There are unexplained things in this world that some science can't explain. They might be misidentified or not. Though, people do always have a scientific explanation to anything. Those who did not experience the event and or those who are non believers.

And so I quote: "So I don't really know if what I saw is a "Sigbin" in a form of a pup but I was scared and cried that time just seeing what had happened."

My sister already asked the neighbors about their dog but they insisted that they caged Bruno. He doesn't have the key. Dogs don't know how to use it. I also stated that I'm not sure about the creature though. Having experienced a lot in the area could be one of the reasons why I had this experience as well. This could be real or an imagination but thanks for taking the time to read and comment about this story. I appreciate it. If some words offended you, I'm sorry.

Sincerely,
Deyanna
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-31)
Hi Deyanna,

I've never heard of the mythical creature 'Sigbin'. I did a search and found some folk tale stories.

This one probably explains it best:

Https://www.singularfortean.com/singularjournal/2017/7/13/sigbin-the-philippines-chupacabra

However, I've got yo say I'm completely with Lady-Glow. I don't understand how blood can be sucked from someone's shadow.

I also don't understand how Bruno got out of his cage unless he had the key.

Please understand, I'm not making fun of your story, nor am I saying it didn't happen. All I'm saying is I just don't understand how all these things could happen, logically speaking.

Thanks for sharing.

Miandra.
😘 ❤ 😘
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-31)
Something to take into consideration before jumping to the "Sigbin" assumption would be the poor lighting and the possibility of the neighbours letting Bruno out that night. Have you asked them?

With all due respect and no offence intended but, I find these "Sigbin" to be more incredible than Santa Claus. I wonder if they're a way with which your ancestors tried to explain something that they didn't understand or if it's an image of their deepest fears that has survived time and scientific knowledge.

In my opinion, it makes no sense that Sigbin "come out at night to suck the blood of victims from their shadows", if it is dark, a person doesn't cast a shadow. Would that mean that, if one was feeding on me and I turned the light off that would be enough to stop my blood from seeping out from my shadow and the Sigbin would have to fast that night?

I apologize if my disbelief offends anyone, I'm not making fun of your beliefs and understand how difficult it is to challenge ones cultural traditions but, seriously, I find the whole notion of a being like this very questionable... To say the least.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: