You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dad's Birthday Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Dad's Birthday Visit

 

At my age, unless I have something important to get up for, I rarely know what day it is, let alone the date. I need a reminder, either on my phone or on my PC to let me know if it is someone's birthday or if I have an important "date" to keep. In other words, I no longer have a memory - only a "forgettery!" With this in mind, I will recount the odd occurrences in our home on Sunday. Yes, I did remember it was a Sunday LOL.

Ray (my hubby) and I were seated at our respective PCs, next to each other in our PC room. (So what's new?) Ray was watching a movie; I was typing a letter to a new cyber friend. All was quiet in the house, except for the drone of the movie playing next to me. Unexpectedly, from our left, came the loud sound of wood being moved or dragged. We both hopped in our seats, with surprise. Ray jumped up to see what was moving. We have a few cardboard boxes stacked to our left, but no wood, except for a large display case (mainly glass) containing Ray's model motor bikes. Well, as you may have guessed, the source of this sound was not discovered. Ray sat down again, and the matter was discussed for a minute or two. We agreed that it was definitely the sound of wood. Another mystery!

Seeing that there had been so few odd happenings in our house lately, I decided to enter it into my journal. I had just entered the date and time, when a thought hit me like a ton of bricks! It was 6th October, my Dad's birthday! Now, my Dad was a carpenter - what better way to remind me of him than wood and that specific date? I surprised Ray by saying out loud, "Happy Birthday, Dad!" Poor fellow, he thought I had lost it (again)! I had to launch into an explanation for him to realize that all my marbles were still intact.

That night I went to let Zeus (our hound) in as usual, at approximately 10 pm. The wind was blowing a small gale, but Zeus was not in a hurry to be let in. He turned in circles in front of our inner security gate, just outside our front door. He was prevaricating... Usually he makes a dash to get inside, no matter what is going on outside - unless there is a cat to chase.

Eventually I got my mutt inside the house, closing the security gate while I checked the motor gate and put out fresh water in the dog's bowl. As I made to re-enter the house, here was Zeus, prancing up and down in consternation. I thought that he was just anxious to be given his nightly bone, but I was dead wrong. As I entered the lounge, there lay the big meaty bone on Zeus' mat - Ray had beaten me to it and already given our "big boy" his treat, but he wasn't interested. It crossed my mind that Zeus was trying to get cute and cadge another treat out of me. I walked to the kitchen, and amidst much rustling of packets, produced another kind of doggy treat. Zeus looked at it, sniffed, and turned his head away in disdain... Well, I tried, so what now?

During all of my pre-bedtime routine, Zeus pretended to be "joined at the hip" with me. I nearly tripped over him half a dozen times - I couldn't even go to the loo in peace! Eventually I went to my bedroom. I sat on the end of my bed; Zeus placed his head in my lap and looked up at me with sorrowful eyes. In exasperation, I said out loud, "Dad, if you are here, please don't scare my dog". In the space of a heartbeat, Zeus got up and marched out of the bedroom, back to the lounge. We never heard another peep from him all night, only the crunching of bones.

I do not recall my father ever visiting me before, except in dreams. But I would stake my life on it that he visited on his birthday.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-06)
Aah Khili180, this is coincidence indeed. I had just said "Happy Bday dad" (lol, I actually remembered this year) then switched on my PC to find your post.

Yes, I have been very blessed. Most of my experiences have been pleasant, though a few have been very sad, with only one being rather scary.

To think that my 'adventures' with the paranormal only started just before the birth of my third child. I was a late bloomer, but don't regret it.

Thank you for reading my accounts, and your comment, Khili. 😊 I am glad you enjoyed this one. Wouldn't it be lovely if dad paid me another visit today. 😉
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-10-06)
Hey fergie:)) ) I saw one of your comments and was fascinated to see you had 26 stories! Wow! You have had some life huh! So full of the paranormal... And it's great to know that the ones I've read so far are all pleasant experiences!
What a coincidence that I should read this one today! 6th oct, 2014! Happy bday to your dad:) this is a lovely story! It must have felt so good to know he's visiting you:)
Thanks for the share:) I really enjoyed it!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
Tanner02, thank you for reading. Yeah! Not everything is doom and gloom about getting older. I have to laugh at myself sometimes too. 😉
Tanner02 (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
I love how you put lol it made me say lol hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-23)
Val, one more validation that it's not only me that gets befuddled with the passage of time. LOL.

You have a good point there, could our subconscious open up for something like this on special occasions? I wonder if someone else on this forum has any opinion on that?

Thank you Val, for reading and the compliment. 😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-23)
Thank you Swimsinfire, I shall have to download that advice, else it will get lost in the mists of time...LOL
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
Fergie,yes vintage is a great way to describe it. And our furry family members have their ways to yank at our heart strings. And your very welcome, its always fun to comment back at you.😊

Spiritwaiting
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Fergie, if I didn't have to go to work, or had deadlines to meet, I'd no clue as to what day it is - and even then, birthdays still sneak up (and sometimes past me).
I've always wondered if perhaps on 'special' days, our subconscious somehow opens a window as it were, for visitations to happen. I am NOT saying a product of imagination, I'm thinking more along the lines of allowing the act to transpire.
Wonderful account.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Tumeric looks and tastes a little like a small version of ginger. You can dry it and gring it up and have it as tea or with it. It's pretty good in coffee. A quarter teaspoon does it.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Swimsinfire, thank you for the compliment. Yeah! I was really chuffed that my Dad paid a visit - about time, eh? After almost thirty years.

Turmeric works for arthritis too? How would you take it? I have never heard of that one. Hah! Never too old to learn. I might still need that advice one day, as arthritis runs in my Dad's side of the family - so far it hasn't caught up with me. 😁

Thank you for reading and comment. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Spiritwaiting, my big, beautiful, black boy alerts me to seen and unseen visitors - I would be lost without him. It's strange that it took him almost dying, for us to become so close. I am SO lucky to still have him.

Hmm... '83 must be a great vintage then, look what it produced! 😊

Thanks again for your comments. ❤
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
I really like the Fergie stories. So nice that your Dad stoped by like this. Gotta try the gelatine thing, I have arthritis. Tumeric works good too, and you can grow that in your garden. Thanks for the story.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Fergie, yes I remember reading about your cuddly cutie zeus, as your personal alarm system. I love that our furry family members can let us know such things. I am happy your father came to visit. Lol I was born in '83. Great year. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Hi Nathaniel, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that forgets days and dates...Lol. Sometimes days just seem to run into one another, eh? I think this was the first time that I hadn't remembered Dad's birthday, so this was his wake-up call to me.

Aha! So your Mom got a reminder too? Cool!

I hope your arthritis isn't troubling you too much? I am told that a teaspoon full of gelatine in your morning coffee helps, if taken regularly.

Thank you for reading, and your comment Nathaniel.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Dear Spiritwaiting, this was a nice surprise as Dad passed in '83. This was the first time that I had been reminded of his birthday (or anyone else) in this manner.

Zeus has been my 'warning system' on more than one occasion, as has been told in a few of my other accounts. My personal 'radar' isn't always on. LOL

Thank you spiritwaiting for your comment. I am glad that you enjoyed my story.
Nathaniel (37 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Fergie, first of all I get the whole forgetting the date thing. Since I took early retirement, due to my arthritis progressively getting worse, I no longer live by the calendar nor a watch (LOL) and often forget the date myself. I have to look at the display on my cell phone everyday just to know what day it is. Recently I was on the phone with my mother, and she told me that weird things had been happening in her home. Directed towards her. She said the night before a dish fell off of her china cabinet, right in front of her, but didn't hit her. Then that day a book had fallen off of her bookshelf while she was on her PC, and had landed near her, but again hadn't hurt her. She was wondering aloud that perhaps someone wanted her attention. That's when I checked my cell phone and realized that it was my uncle Ed's (her brother who passed away in 2007) birthday. I told her that maybe it was him wanting her to wish him a Happy Birthday. So she did, and the activity just stopped. So I really think that your dad just wanted you to acknowledge him on his birthday.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Dear Fergie, I like your story. Its always very special when your loved ones come to visit. Especially the parents. Your dad definitely knew what he was doing, by getting your poochs attention, to get through to you. Love this one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: