You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Restless Silhouette

Real Ghost Stories

The Restless Silhouette

 

I am Sakshi and I am 18 years old. I have always felt intrigued by the supernatural phenomena although I had not experienced one myself, until last year when I had my first brush with the paranormal. My narrative is quite long so please bear with me and my pathetic English of course!

As a preface, I would like to tell you that my family which includes my dad, mum and my elder brother (who lives in Delhi) are total skeptics and don't tolerate such talks in the house. Also we do not have any history with the metaphysical and everyone is highly religious in my house. Now a little briefing about my house where this incident took place. I live in a two-storied house and my room is on the upper floor. In front of it is the terrace. Our neighbour's house is quite similar to our house and their terrace is also like ours only with slight modifications. In the middle of the colony is a big and beautiful park with big trees all around the walking track. There are houses all round the park.

Now coming back to my narrative. Last year during mid-September, I had my half-yearly exams going on and the incident first happened on 9th of September to be exact. I was studying in my room as I had my physics exam the following day. Around 10:30 in the night I decided to stretch myself a bit and go grab a breath of fresh air as I had been studying for close to 4 hours continuously. I went to the terrace which was sufficiently lit by a CFL. There was a good wind and I felt relaxed. As I was walking I happened to glance at my neighbour's terrace wall (they have cemented structure built like a shade to cover the staircase) and I saw a black silhouette which moved from one end to the other end of the wall. There was no one on the terrace so I was a little puzzled but then shrugged it off as my imagination. After few minutes I again looked and still it was there same as before. I thought my mind was playing tricks as I was quite stressed out and tired too as I had been studying since 5 in the morning. Therefore, I locked the door and went to sleep.

A week passed by and I got really busy in my exams so the incident got blurred and also I did not come to the terrace those days. Towards the end pf the month, it happened again.

My exams had ended quite well and I was pleased. I was strolling on the terrace, this time a little early around 9. I had taken a nice shower and was feeling fresh as a flower. I again saw that silhouette on the wall and though I was startled at first, nevertheless this time I decided to look more carefully. I could make out easily that it was a man's profile not full, but from the chest and above with broad shoulders. I stopped in my tracks. It was continuously moving, like when you are restless and you pace the floor. My first thought was that maybe my mind was again playing tricks so I closed my eyes inhaled sharply and then opened it gain, but it was still there. In normal circumstances I would have run for my life as I am one heck of a weak-hearted gal! But curiosity took the better of me and I thought of possible explanations.

First I thought it was my shadow but there is quite a distance between the two terraces and also I was still while it was in motion. So I dismissed it. Then I looked down towards the road to see if there was anyone but it was deserted though such a notion seemed absurd cause the wall was so high. Then I thought that maybe the trees in the park could have cast their shadow as they are very tall and I might have had an illusion, but there was no wind that day and also the tree was not in front of the house and, moreover, it had never happened before that. Also a theory that someone was on the other side of the wall seemed totally erroneous.

I was freaked out and I rushed inside the safety of my room. As I entered my room I felt as if a weight had lifted and I was at peace (maybe because I have my pooja ghar joined to my room which is interlinked and also I have pictures of deities on the wall of my room). Next morning I decided to probe a little in the matter. I could not go and ask anything directly to my neighbours as I would have been grounded for talking such crap and spreading rumors. So I decided to go on some other pretext but my mom told me that they had gone on a vacation last night only. I shard my experience with my mom who did not take much notice and said that I was imagining it as she had never seen anything. But she gave me a locket containing lord Krishna's photo (as I am myself a very ardent devotee of lord Krishna).

I let the matter drop for the time being. A month passed and I never sighted it gain. So even I came to the conclusion that maybe I was hallucinating or something.

During early December my best friend Kritika came to my house for a sleepover. Let me tell you that she has been seeing things out of her peripheral vision since childhood and also is an empath, so she is quite sensitive to stuff like this. At night, we went to the terrace with two mugs of hot chocolate and were having a nice cozy chat when Kritika suddenly stopped midway. I followed her gaze and I saw the silhouette again. My heart almost leaped into my mouth and blood froze in my veins seeing 'it' again. Kritika had turned pale as if all the color had drained from her face and she stood there staring at it as if in a trance. I called her thrice but she did not respond. I got really petrified and shook her violently by the shoulders. She suddenly snapped out. She grabbed my hand and rushed to my room, locking the door behind her. We both were shaken and I asked her why she behaved like that. She told me the as she looked at that she suddenly felt a surge of emotions inside her unlike anything she knew or had experienced before. She could not put her finger on what kind of feeling it was but it was so overwhelming that she felt that she had to go away from it anyhow.

We went to the pooja ghar and prayed to the lord after which we felt relaxed. We did not tell it to my parents as they would have worried and my dad was not doing well at that time. So we went to sleep.

Next morning, we told everything to my mom who got worried naturally, though she found it hard to believe. She told us not to worry and believe in the power of the lord. We went and asked our neighbours about it casually only, without sounding too serious but they said that they had also not experienced anything and none of them was upstairs at that time. We reached a dead end there.

Five months have passed and this never happened again. During this period, Kritika came over many times and even she did not see anything. We thanked lord for sending it away whatever it was. But still, when I think of it I cannot make either head or tail of it.

One thing I would like to mention though I am not sure of its relevance here. Last year in February, my neighbour's granddad passed away due to stroke. He was 92 and was quite fond of my family, especially my brother and me. I mentioned this cause I thought that maybe you all can relate something. Apart from this, they do not have a history and their family is also quite happy.

It is my request to all the experienced people on the site to throw some light on the matter and bashers stay away please! If you believe this story is a fabrication keep it to yourselves only (sorry, I don't intend to be rude). I have posted this just because I believe that you may not think that I am nuts!

Regards

Sakshi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spooky_sakshi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
Hi sakshi... Your story is really strange and spooky yaar... I can't say what it was? But if someone else have also seen that so there must be some reason. By the way... If we will keep discussing so it's sure that we'll find the answer. 😊
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
[at] sheetal,
Dear, I did ask one of my friend who lives exactly opposite to my neighbour... (other side of the lane)
She told me that once even she had seen something similar while she came to her terrace at night but she thought that maybe it was one of the person from the family, but it looked more like a blackish vapour and less like a flesh and blood person. It happened around the same time when I had my second experience.
She says that as there is a considerable distance between the two houses so she thought that maybe it was an illusion after all. She did see it again after a couple of days but she got so freaked out that she made a run for her life and went to her room...
Thanks
Regards
Sakshi
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
[at] nectavore,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment gal and the appreciation of course!
Your post was actually very informative... This aspect of haunting (consistency and seasonal relation) I never knew... You have explained it beautifully dear. 😁
Do give more suggestions.
Regards
Sakshi
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
[at] pavan_b,
Thank you for the reply... I have already ruled out that possibility after much investigation! Actually where I live was a very big orchard which covered most parts of my area before the development authority started turning it into residential colonies... And all the houses in my colony were made by the authority itself. Since then the original inhabitants are residing there only... Almost everyone in my colony has been living in their house since it was made. I guess that would be around 24-25 years back... All these years no mishap happened... At least not that I know of...
Still thank you for the suggestion and please feel free to give more if you do have.
Regards
Sakshi
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Oh, I forgot to say also, that your English is very good. Very expressive and you have grasped the subtleties very well. Your prose is has good flow and is very easy to read.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Yeah, I don't think you are nuts. It's interesting that hauntings do not always remain consistent. In my experience, some hauntings have a natural ebb and flow... An ex boyfriend of mine says it is seasonal. There are concentrations of power through the calendar year where spirits can hold more power or less power... He was into the whole Asatru Scandanavian thing, and the darkest part of the year is the domain of spirits, because the veils between worlds are thinner. Now, India, like Australia, lol, probably only has a wet season and a dry season. I think we have our own equivalents though. Hauntings can also move upon their own timeline, like residual hauntings or anniversary hauntings (they appear at times significant to their own death or trauma)
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Hi Sakshi, Thanks for reply... I can relate that It could be the reason of what you have seen. Cause if someone died unnaturally then their spirit can haunt the area. One more thing try to inquire in your area that is anyone also saw that silhouette or not? 😐
pavan_b (2 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Just ask the neighbours if anyone used to live in that house before them... If anything bad happened over there... Just investigate... U might get the answers...
I've myself been in a situation like this and I can completely relate to your story!
Cheers.
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
hey pragya,
Thanks for replying. Is it even possible that if a person was walking on the other side of the park its shadow could have been cast on my neighbours terrace which is so high and also the distance between the other side and myside is not so less. Of the first time I am sure there was no one but the other two times I am not so sure although no body in my colony is fond of night walks lol.
Regards
Sakshi
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
hey sheetal! Now that you mention it, I remember that during that year 4 people died in my colony all of a sudden. They all were aged but hale and hearty. We all were quite surprised by those recent death. Also they died within a gap of 2-3 weeks. Apart from this no murder or suicide has ever happened. We have been living here for almost 20+ years.
Anyways thanks
Regards
Sakshi
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
Hi sakshi... Is something strange like murder, suicide or accident had happened in your area? Sometimes the spirit of such people can be seen by people. It's just a suggestion...
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
[at] sheetal,
Thanks for the reply. I think that the odds are against the fact that it could have been granddad cause the shadow was more of a middle aged person and also healthy while grandad was a lean skinny person. But I agree that it could have been otherwise too. Also kritika did not feel good or warm seeing it though grandad was good to her too as she is my childhood pal.
Regards
Sakshi
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
Hi Sakshi... That was actually spooky. Just one rational thought about the shadow was there a possibility that someone was taking a stroll on the other side of the park and a street light might have caused the shadow to fall on the wall. Sometimes even though the object may be far off because of certain angle of the light a shadow can fall at a far off object. This is just an attempt to explain rationally.
However it was brave of you to maintain your composure. 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
Hi, sakshi and welcome to YGS. Your story is just chilling. Seeing shadow frequently is very horrible. It's good that the thing was no more seen by you.

You said your friend kritika felt some attachment with the silhouette. So, In my opinion it could be your neighbor's granddad cause you said he is so attached to you. But I am glad that you are not seeing the silhouette again.

God bless you... 😁
spooky_sakshi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-27)
thank you hades666 for your comment,
Yes he did have a habit of taking evening walks but he seldom came on the terrace as his health was deteriorating. So he would walk a little in the balcony of his first floor which is joined with my own. Yes he would occasionaly call me to talk about my studies and life but that was very rare during that year as I was also busy in studies and even he was not in the prime of his health. Before that time he did not go to the terrace quite often. He would prefer to have a walk in the park with his friends from the colony.
But I always loved talking to him and would inquire about his health often.
I hope I have answeredyour question.
Regards,
Sakshi
Hades666 (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-27)
Thank you Sakshi for sharing your account, and trust me I don't think anyone on this site will think you are crazy. On the other hand, you mentioned that the neighbours grandfather was very fond of you and your brother. My question is that before the grandfather passed, did he have a habit of walking on the terrace? Was this something he always did or only when he wanted to have a small chat with you, (if that makes any sense...)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: