You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Light From A Demolished Cottage

Real Ghost Stories

Light From A Demolished Cottage

 

Near where I live there is a spring and some brick works of an old cottage. My grandfather told me there is a story of a old woman who lived on the outskirts of the town in where this cottage used to be. Some claimed she was a witch, but all that is known is that she was a herbal healer, and despite the fear people had of her, they still used her medicine. This story dates back to when my town was just a small farming town with barely more than a few family's and near enough no proper documentation, and it was a long, long time before coal mining caused my town to boom in industry. The people who's families have lived here for generations would all say the same thing 'some times, you can still see her walking around with a lantern'.

One night I was going out for a jog in autumn in the area. It's quite a way off from the road but not too far, though still far enough that you can't see any streets lights. Now I had gone in the last hours of daylight, but as winter was coming, it got darker quicker than I had expected. I ended up getting a little lost, but more panicking than genuinely lost. I knew my way around enough that I would have found my way out easily.

This means that I also I knew I was seeing a light that I shouldn't be, it was a lantern-like light, but at the time I just assumed it was a torch with an orange bulb (I really don't know why I wasn't being more intelligent, I guess I was really tired). So I followed it in hope of asking for directions from who ever was holding it. It ended up leading me to the old foundations on the old lady's house, which in turn meant that I was a quick two minute jog away from the main road.

Now I don't know if I was seeing things, but if that light was what I think it was, then I have to say thank you to that old lady for helping out of my panic.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zoe-Robyn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
What a sweet story:) I love the countryside in the UK... It has such a fey atmosphere. Typical, innit, about the towns people ostracising the lady as a witch but still using her medicines...lol...same old story since time began...
johnnycashmuse (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-27)
This story is brilliant! The old woman's ghost is still there and still trying to help those people who need it. I think your lucky that you were in thd right place at the right time to see her lantern and so you found your way back to the road. I would make an effort to go back to the cottage site and say a thankyou to her. Witch, healer, natural medicine woman whatever, clearly she still cares about the people in "her town".
JACQUIE
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-27)
Hi Zoe-Robyn, welcome to YGS. I go with BJJ. It could be residual haunt. Why don't you just try to investigate a little more about it. Like you visit the place same time in the evening and on the same day. Try to ask people around, if they have also seen the light. But whatever it is, it did help you to find your way easily.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Letum (1 stories) (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-26)
Thank you sharing this story!, I agree with BadJuuJuu, and I am also glad you found your home and had a positive experience! I hope you were able to share this with family members and or friends as they might also have their own ideas and opinions on it. TC and thanks again...Letum*
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-26)
Very interesting story. I think that the lantern light might be a residual haunt. The theory behind residuals is that an event which was done often or with a great deal of emotion can wear an imprint of itself onto the environment, and replay at a later date. Sometimes these events can replay over many years.
Whatever the reason that the lantern light is still visible on occasion, it is a good thing it still appears! Glad you were able to use the location of the light to get your bearings and make it home.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: