You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Stereo

Real Ghost Stories

The Stereo

 

If you have read my other stories you will know that I grew up in a very old house in Australia. Most of my experiences were in that old wood house and this one is the next in order of time from what I can best remember.

I believe it was a late afternoon when I was about 14 or 15 years old, and I was sitting on the floor playing my Playstation in the living room. The only people who were home at the time was myself and my brother's girlfriend who was reading a magazine on the couch behind me. I had the Playstation's sound running through a separate stereo system for better sound quality rather than straight from the television speakers.

As I was playing my game, at one point I paused and noticed that for a few minutes I had been playing with no sound. I hated playing with no sound and so I stood up and turned the volume dial on the stereo from 0 to 10 and thought nothing of it. After a few minutes I noticed it again and this time I jumped to conclusions and accused my brother's girlfriend of using the remote control to turn it down in the hopes that it would annoy me. She denied it and we both had a brief search for the remote control.

We couldn't find it and just turned the volume back up to 10 and resumed my game. I played my game for around another 10 minutes with no interruptions, in this time my brother's girlfriend had left and it was just me in the room. Suddenly I notice the sound of my game getting weaker and weaker. I then noticed that the digital numbers on the stereo were dropping from 10 to 0. I turned it up to 10 and kept my eyes on the numbers and again they eerily dropped 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...0. I was convinced that she had the remote and was still playing a prank; however, I had one last look and my stomach sunk as I found the remote resting underneath a page inside a magazine on the other side of the room.

I was very puzzled and starting to get a little spooked. I placed the remote on the coffee table and again turned the stereo to 10. It stayed at 10 for around 15 minutes. I continued with my game and to my disbelief the numbers started to decline... 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...0. I was quite disturbed by now and left to tell my brother's girlfriend what had happened and to apologize for accusing her.

We had that stereo for another few years and it never did it again. Ten years later and the image of those numbers ticking down still makes me feel uneasy to this day. I strongly believe that something paranormal was interfering with the stereo that day.

Other hauntings by Jager

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jager, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-21)
Once, the cursor on my old pc started moving around the screen randomly for several minutes, very late one night. I said a quick prayer, as there seemed something unnatural about and it stopped. Your story reminds me of that night.
Jager (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-08)
I thought it may have been a malfunction. But it never happened again in the next few years. However, other freaky things happened at that house. I will be writing about them also.
Artisanlady (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-05)
Hi,

I just joined, and loved your story (you're my first comment) because I had a "stereo experience" of my own. I wouldn't discount it as stereo malfunction anymore than mine coming on in the middle of the night (3 am) blasting the Beatles lyrics "You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello!" I seriously wondered if I had been visited by aliens? Too weird? I don't know.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-05)
Hi there,

I read your story days ago and couldn't respond because it gave me the creeps!
While reading I was blaming the stereo because years ago I had a stereo that would CONSTANTLY go from 0 to max without warning. Not a ghost, just a piece of crap.
Got to agree with Ashar, sounds like yours was someone playing silly buggers. I'm glad it was a ghost because when it's a piece of crap it's soo irritating!
This gave me the creeps because I remember watching the digits of my crap-o-blaster go up and up and MAX, urgh. I had a ghost growing up that used to fiddle with the CD players (different ones to the crap one with volume issues), so to think that a ghost can fiddle with the volume, somehow pinged the creep factor, probably shouldn't have, but it did! 😭
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
I was about to say that it can be a device's fault because something of that sort happens in my old television but there the volume goes on increasing but after reading your previous experiences and taking the fact in account that it never happened in the subsequent years again, I think it was the ghost.

Thanks For Sharing 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: