You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: A Silent Scream For Help

Real Ghost Stories

A Silent Scream For Help

 

Please note that this is not a ghost story, but more about the unexplained mysteries surrounding our "Human Senses". I do not proclaim to have any gifts along those lines that would make me different from anyone else. However, the events in this story are true, and raised some obvious questions that cannot truly be answered.

The year was 2001, and I was the PGA Director of Instruction at a municipal golf course located in Ridgefield, CT. My position, at the club, also included my managing the golf practice range facility, and its budget, etc. As the years had gone by, new homes were built along the right side of the range. The homes were in close proximity to the range which made them very susceptible to errant or wayward golf shots. A 40' high net was constructed in hopes to better protect our neighbors, but it proved not to be high enough.

The neighbors formed a committee and presented their justified concerns, for safety, to the First Selectman. All of the neighbors had stories about golf balls hitting their homes, landing in their yards, and landing close to children playing in their yards. They even said that they have had to move family cookouts indoors for fear of being injured by errant golf balls. They easily proved their case because everyone of them had barrels of golf balls that they had collected, from their yards, stored in their garages. So, rather than face being closed or having to deal with a lawsuit, the club was naturally faced with addressing the problem. Needless to say we got to meet all the neighbors on several occasions as we worked toward a solution.

There was one neighbor who took a particular interest in me. Her name was Anna. She was 88 years old, and lived by herself. She was an extremely spiritual, and religious woman. She had built a Grotto in her backyard very close to the range. She explained that she had been hit, by our golf balls, numerous times while praying at her Grotto. In getting to know her, I found out that she was an exceptional woman who had led a storied life.

I recognized her accent, but could not put my finger on it. Upon my introduction to her, she was elated to tell me that my last name "Papp" was Hungarian. I said, "yes, my father's side of the family came from Torma, Hungary". She explained that "PAPP" in Hungarian means "Priest", and that its derivatives can be found in the words "Pope", and "Papal". She explained how she grew up in Hungary, and her family's escape from Hitler's regime into Vienna. In Vienna she became an accomplished dress maker for the Vienna Opera House. She was immediately drawn to me, and said that she had prayed for me to come to help protect her. Well, at this point, I found myself more than committed to solving our golf range situation with the neighbors.

She invited me over to her house, and we chatted about her family. I brought pictures to show her of my baby daughter, Emily. She would give me gifts off a shelf in her living room for me to bring home to Emily. She had become a fascinating woman in my life to know. Almost like my grandmother, who had long since passed. She would always remind me that she felt safer knowing that I was nearby. I gave her my work number to call me if she ever needed help with anything. She did call occasionally with concerns over the developments of our golf range resolution plans. I would walk over to sit with her for a little bit. And, she always thanked me when I left. She referred to me as her "Saint Michael".

One morning, I began my lesson schedule as usual. I was working with an older gentleman that I had worked with before. It was mid morning, and during the lesson I stopped teaching for a moment. My student asked if something was wrong? I replied, "I don't know"? I began to teach again, and the same strange feeling happened again. I said to my student, "please forgive me, but I have to go check on Anna". "I feel like something happened to her"? He worked with his son as an EMT, and he said, "let's go"!

I ran towards the opening, in the netting, past her Grotto. I was yelling her name, "Anna, Anna are you alright"? As I came through the trees, in her yard, I could see her laying down on her back on her patio. As I got closer, I could see that she was hurt, and moaning in pain. She had fallen down her steps that led out to her pool. In her attempts to save herself from falling, she had grabbed onto a wooden window flower box. The box was filled with dirt. As she fell, she pulled it on top of her. The flower box was laying next to her, and she was covered in dirt. I yelled back to my student to run to the clubhouse, and call 911.

I did not know if I should have left her laying still, and wait for the ambulance or what? But, I got her up, and begged her to please help me try to get her into the house. She was a big woman, but I got her into her living room to sit in a cushioned chair. Soon the ambulance arrived, and she was taken to the hospital.

Anna had a daughter, who I had never met. Later that day, I received a phone call. It was Anna's daughter, and she explained that she had just got back from the Hospital. She said that her mother was in stable condition, but would remain in the ICU unit for a day or so. She told me that "my mother made sure that I call you to thank you". Anna told her daughter "that she knew that I would always be there to protect her". She said that her mother "thanked God for sending me to help".

Anna had suffered two broken ribs, and they had punctured her lung. Unable to help herself, the doctors explained that she would have died within a couple of hours. After Anna's recovery, I would continue to check in on her occasionally. Anna would live, and eventually die from natural causes. But, not that day. What a full life she led.

The Lord does work in mysterious ways...

Other hauntings by mikepapp

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mikepapp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-15)
Oh my goodness, I LOVE your story and believe you were meant to save this woman. Your story proves to me that God truly does work in mysterious ways. ❤
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-06)
Hi mikepapp,
I regret to know that. However, I think she lived a happy life. And you have been part of that happy life. Hope to see more stories from you.:)
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
Hi Babygoatpuller,

As I said to Rook, safety had to come first. We did resolve the problem, but the golfers were not very happy at all.

I guess if the train derailed once a week and ended up, tipped over, in your backyard the Railroad would be forced to do something about it? Just kidding, and thanks for your comment. Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
Hi Bluemer04,

Thank you for your comment, and glad you enjoyed the story. Unfortunately, Anna did pass away from natural causes many years ago. She would be over 100 now if she were still alive. Thanks again, Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
Hi Desertmoon,

Thank you very much for your comment. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
Hi Argette,

I actually did not think the story would get posted because it is not a ghost story. But, it did. Thank you for your kind comments. Mike
mikepapp (3 stories) (34 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-04)
Hi rookdygin,

Your feelings about the golf course being there before the homes is exactly how all the golfers at the club felt. However, safety always comes first. We did resolve the situation by changing over to a "Camen" golf ball. The golfers did not like it, though, because the ball only travels a short distance before falling harmlessly to the ground.

Thanks for your kind comments. Mike
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-03)
Thanks for sharing this Mike. I'm not sure I would have moved her but you did take that into consideration and thankfully it turned out alright for her. You were her hero that day and should wear the badge proudly.

I do have to agree with Rook on what he said. Although, it can't be 100% the property developers fault. We have railroad tracks running through the middle of our town and developers came and built housing communities right next to the tracks. Now the owners of the homes are complaining about the train noises! They had to have seen the tracks when they bought the homes and bought them anyway. I think you see where I'm going with this... Live by the golf course... Live by the train tracks... 😕
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-03)
This is a very beautiful story. Hope she is still doing fine.
Desertmoon (4 stories) (23 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
What a beautiful story, that two people can connect on such a deep level. Love extends beyond boundaries and is so much more than the romantic kind that songs are written about. Proof that we know and sense things beyond our five senses if we are simply open to receiving it and trusting our intuitions.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
Beautiful account, Mike. You and Anna connected on multiple levels. I'd like to think you had a past life connection of some sort.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
7 years ago (2017-02-02)
This is a wonderful experience, to know such a connection was formed between the two of you confirms we are all connected, if we but pay attention to what's happening around us.

I must say something however...

Please tell me that if the homes you mention were part of an HOA that the HOA was HELPING to address is issue with the balls? Because as you stated...

" As the years had gone by, new homes were built along the right side of the range. The homes were in close proximity to the range which made them very susceptible to errant or wayward golf shots. A 40' high net was constructed in hopes to better protect our neighbors, but it proved not to be high enough."

The golf course was there first AND those who bought the NEW homes along the driving range had to know, IN ADVANCE' there was a risk of errant golf balls from the range. The fact the Homes were in that area was NOT the Fault of the existing Golf Course, but of the Property Developers. Sorry had to vent...

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: