You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Mom's Wake - A Funeral Home Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My Mom's Wake - A Funeral Home Experience

 

My Mom passed away after a long illness last year. In the end she told us that she had had enough and her quality of life had eroded to the point of it not being worth it all. She hoped that we all understood and the whole family was heart broken but agreed and understood with respect her decision. She would simply stop taking her medicines which were keeping her alive.

She stopped taking her medicines and actually rallied for about four days where she was able to say good bye and let us go slowly. We even had a last supper all together with family which was an incredible event full of human emotion & love.

I was quite close to her and we often talked about many different things including the after life and paranormal discussions.

A day or two before her passing I asked her to reach out to me somehow from the other side if she could to let me know that she was well.

The day after our last supper she passed quietly surrounded by all of us surrounding her with love. It was the best possible end of her life that we could have hoped for.

Her wake was at an old funeral home in a small upstate New York town. We all gathered in a large room there for hours as friends & family came to give their last respects.

Near the end of it, I left the room and went out into the hallway which led up a ramp with a closet facing me at a turn in the hallway which in turn led back to a bathroom and offices. I was going to check on my 92 year old Father who was in the bathroom to make sure he was OK. After doing so I turned and proceeded back down the hallway. As I approached the corner of the hall where the closet was I noticed a large moving shadow which was moving left to right and towards the closet. As I noticed its height and broad shoulders it seemed to notice that I had recognized that it was there and the shadow first froze and then moved as if walking quickly towards the closet.

I had a distinct feeling that it was actually fleeing and meant me no harm. I was frozen momentarily not by any sort of fear but of astonishment and curiosity.

As I approached it in curiosity the most incredible things occurred! Suddenly the shadow stopped and a sort of window appeared floor to ceiling. It had a clear square edge to the window and within it's shape a swirling smokey image seemed to be moving but indiscernible in shape. As the smokey image filled the window I could see that the window was illuminated from within with a bright light. It kept swirling and filled all of the window. SUDDENLY a bright burning track of light extended from the window ACCROSS the floor at a perfect 45 degree angle towards the open closet. The brightly lit track of light on the floor stopped just short of the open closet door. ANOTHER window then appeared instantly from the brightly lit track upwards to fill the space again from floor to ceiling. This window had a distinctly square edge, was brightly lit from within and appeared about 1/2 inch in thickness and now the smokey image swirled into this next window with the previous window now gone. I approached it in curious astonishment trying to take note of every detail!

As I approached it, a white vapor appeared all along the outer square edge of the window almost like white steam vapor. It left the edge of the window at a distinct 90 degree angle and was disappearing into the closet. At that moment I thought to myself "are you hallucinating or losing your mind?" Just as I thought that, the vapor disappeared into the closet, the track of light and window disappeared and the last of the vapor seemed to brush across a jacket hanging by itself in the closet. As if to confirm for me that this really happened, the jacket started swinging on it's hanger in the closet. I moved the last few feet to the closet opening, looked in, saw nothing but the jacket still swinging gently back and forth.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, peteinesc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-18)
My condolences for your precious loss but at the same time it made very emotional when I realize/felt about the feelings and time you spend with your mommy before her transition to the other side.
Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming experience.
May her soul rest in peace.

Regards
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-15)
Hi peteinesc

I'm glad you had that precious time with your mother before letting her go. I think that she did give you the sign that you asked for and you somehow witnessed her transition. What you saw could very well be a portal or gateway. If so, perhaps the shadow of a man was the Gatekeeper, there to escort the soul beyond the veil.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Take care.

"Death is the veil which those who live call life: They sleep, and it is lifted." - Percy Bysshe Shelley
peteinesc (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-06)
Enlightened:
Thank you for your input. No, there was no other funeral going on at the time. The experience left me confused but it felt like a seam, or perhaps another dimension. The incredible perfection of the object and its edges and shape plus angles have some kind of mathematical explanation.
A gateway sounds plausible.
Thanks: Pete
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-03)
Peteinesc,

Thank you for sharing your experience! WOW! It was like a vortex into another dimension! Was there another funeral going on in that funeral home at the same time as your mom's? If so, maybe the manly ghost was the deceased person who just passed on.

You mentioned upstate New York. I lived in upstate New York for years and that area has a lot of history however I really don't think your experience had anything to do with the history of the land. I believe you happened upon a
Gateway into another realm.

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,
Enlightened.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: