You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Demonic Bird

Real Ghost Stories

Demonic Bird

 

During my freshman year of college in an all girl dorm, roommate and I lived in an interior room meaning there were no windows- so we kept a faint night light so we didn't kill ourselves if we went to the bathroom at night. Our beds were lofted with the desks underneath- we were high enough up that you'd hit your head on the ceiling if you weren't careful. Our room was shaped like an L, I was on the wall parallel our door and my roommate was opposite of me in the L section.

One night, I was sick with a cold and sleeping on my back due to being unable to breath out of my nose (it was a normal cold nothing serious just stuffy nose and sore throat. No fever.) I woke up in the middle of the night with a strange feeling. I exhaled and found it strange that I could see my breath. I exhaled again to see if I was really seeing my breath or not and I was. As my mind started to come out of the fog of sleep, I realized one of my legs was uncovered and I could feel the heat blowing on it and it was definitely not cold enough to see your breath inside! Then the sense of dread came. I had an overwhelming feeling to look at my door. I slowly turned my head on it's side and saw a strange object in the corner of my room. I had a chair in the corner by the door. At first, I thought it was just the chair. But the longer I looked at it, I realized that my bed was too high up to see the chair while laying flat on my back, which meant something was pearched on top of it. I had a bad sense- like something bad was happening or that someone wanted to hurt me. Confused and scared, I sat up and tried to try to discern what it was. As soon as I sat completely upright, it shot off the top of my chair and opened itself up (it unfolded its wings from its sides) at the foot of my roommates bed. It was a huge black bird with huge plumed wings. The wingspan was probably 3ft. As soon as it had opened, it promptly flew into the mirror on the wall beside it and disappeared. I ripped my covers off and started screaming my roommate's name. I thought I had died in my sleep and the bird of death came to take me away. I never did get back to sleep that night. Thankfully, I never saw the bird again afterwards.

I'm not saying this is related but after this occurred my health took a bad turn for the worse. I recovered from my cold (it was just a head cold) but I developed a serious case of pneumonia that landed me in the hospital roughly a month later. Even after recieving antibiotics, it took me about three months before I fully recovered my strength...

Has anyone else seen anything similar? Am I just crazy? I feel this was not sleep paralysis as I was able to move and I've never had sleep paralysis before. I am also sure I was completely conscious. I also want to make a point that this bird was 3D- like an actual giant bird. I could make out the feathers on it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, michelle97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-20)
Wow! No windows? That sounds miserable! I couldn't have stood it!

I agree with the harbinger idea. I believe in signs and that birds (flesh and blood or spirit) are often messengers. Several years back, my brother was sitting reading in his living room when a dark shadow caught his eye. He looked left and saw that a huge vulture had swept onto his porch to land directly in front of his glass door and stood glaring in with its ragged wings spread. It stood thus for several minutes staring menacing holes through him before it at length departed. He told me of it the same day and I had a feeling it was a sign - a very bad one. The next week, he fell terribly ill with an ailment he is still fighting to this day.

I am glad you have recovered from your pneumonia (I've had that too and its pretty wretched) and (hopefully) moved out of that windowless room. Maybe a spirit bird was sent to you instead of flesh and blood since there were no windows only a mirror. 🤔
michelle97 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-17)
Thank you all for your comments and information! I also felt like it may have been a sign of my health.

Just to clarify, I was not taking any prescription medicines that could induce hallucinations. I also do not think I had a fever. It's possible, but if I did, it was pretty mild.

It also could not have been a real bat. The dorm rooms are very small and it wouldn't have been able to stay hidden for long. That would have given my roommate and I a huge scare if we found a real bat in our room lol.
Socracy5 (3 stories) (64 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-16)
Hey Michelle 97,

You've got excellent suggestions in these previous comments, I agree with them especially with sushantkar and rookdygin. It was possibly a warning of your turning health issue, and rather than frightening it was a very fascinating encounter, I believe only the people fortunate enough receive such a sign out of ordinary which alerts you in advance before the incident happened.

Regards
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-16)
Hello Mechiel97, I am from India, there are different meanings and belives related to birds in different culture, I live in the northen provincie of my country where there is a bird called Khanna khod which represent metaphysical death and illness when seen in pairs.
One of the member of this site Ms sheetal actually brought this into my knowledge.
Although, in western culture (not everywhere though), black birds are often seen as tricksters and are related to bad omens.
However in your experience, and as forthsaid by Mr. Rook, it came as a symbol of bad health in your coming time which even could have killed you.
Differencing in superstition and reality can be quite confusing.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-13)
Can you say HARBINGER? I knew you could. 😆

In this case I feel the Bird was a manifestation of 'someone/something' trying to give you a warning that your health was going to take a turn for the worse. Just my two cents though. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-13)
Is it possible it was a real bat? It might have flown into a corner and then left the next day?
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-13)
An unusual and frightening experience. I don't remember ever reading of a similar occurrence.

I am inclined to think this may be related to the severe case of pneumonia that followed, but that is only a guess.

I could not help but notice the detail of the bird flying into the mirror and disappearing. It would be interesting to see if someone has seen something similar.

All in all, a chilling account.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-13)
Michelle97,

What a fascinating encounter! I wonder though, were you taking any prescription or over the counter medication? I'm not saying that what you saw was 100% caused by medication, but wanted to ask if there was a chance that this was the case. Also, did you have a fever?

Regardless, your experience sounds very intriguing and I understand that it was frightening too. I haven't encountered anything similar, but hopefully some members that have some knowledge on this will chime in.

Thanks for a fascinating read 😊

Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: