You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Apparition Watching Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Apparition Watching Me?

 

One evening around 11pm in November of 2016, I was hard at work in my recording studio, located in the basement of my house in Huntsville, Alabama.

I was working on a mix session of a recording I'd produced earlier in the month for a band from the area. I'd briefly gone upstairs to make myself a drink for a final listen to the tune I'd been working on. My wife was upstairs watching television and I'd told her that I was almost finished with work for the day.

I went back down to my control room, just off the soundproof music studio, to take a final listen before I made a final mix of the song, and then I decided to step outside to clear my head and get some fresh air.

To get outside, I had to walk out of the studio out a doorway, through my 2-car garage, and out another door which opened onto my side driveway.

As I was coming out to the side driveway, I decided to glance at my iPhone, specifically my Facebook page, which I used for my studio business. Seeing there was no activity that I needed to respond to, I clicked the "lock" button and put the phone into my back pocket.

My side driveway is roughly the width of two cars, and beyond the driveway is a side yard around 15 yards wide, with a couple of very tall pine trees. At the edge of the yard is a heavily wooded and rocky area which leads down into a a city-owned drainage ditch.

On the other side of the ditch is another heavily wooded and rocky area, on a steep hill, and then another house which is mostly obscured by trees and heavy underbrush. That house sits on a different street which backs up to the cul-de-sac on which I live.

It was chilly outside, but no wind blew. Typical Fall night in Northern Alabama for that time of year. It was approaching 11pm on a weeknight, and the quiet neighborhood seemed even quieter than normal.

I looked around the area directly across from me and saw that there were no lights on in the house across the ditch from me, 50 yards away. In fact, the only light visible in the whole area was a streetlight located in the back of our cul-de-sac, about 75 yards to my right.

All of a sudden, things became VERY quiet. The crickets and bugs had stopped chirping, the night birds had gone silent, and the low-key noise of a suburban neighborhood had entirely ceased. Very strange since usually one would hear a neighbor's air-conditioning unit or a lone dog barking in the distance. Even the traffic sounds from a heavily traveled thoroughfare around 10 blocks away had gone silent. Immediately the hair on my arms raised, and I felt a chill.

I scanned my heavily wooded backyard to my left and saw and heard nothing. When I looked back across my side yard, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Hovering above a flat rock about 15 yards from me was a smoky-white apparition with a white glow, around 12 feet in height, shaped like an enormous mummy. The apparition had the clear shape of a head, shoulders, arms and legs, but no "feet" were visible.

I could barely make out the shapes of trees through the apparition, so in a split second, my rational mind attempted to make sense of the apparition by thinking it was simply a small patch of fog. But this "fog" was clearly in the shape of an enormous man, like an outline of what we'd commonly think of when we visualize a mummy.

I literally wiped my eyes, and looked again, and the apparition was still there, and I got the overwhelming feeling that I was being watched and observed. (I had seen and heard things around my house and yard before in the six years I'd lived here, but nothing as distinct and intimidating as this.)

While watching the apparition, I reached into my back pocket and called my wife, who was still upstairs, and asked her to come out the front door and around to the side yard, and to bring a flashlight we keep handy in our TV room, telling her I had seen something that I wanted her to see.

So, thinking quickly, I thought to actually verbally address the apparition. I said, out loud, "Hey, it's okay that you are here. We don't want to hurt you, nor do we want you to hurt us. We just want to know who you are." And with that, I switched on the flashlight function of my phone, and slowly walked toward the apparition, who remained in the same spot as when I first saw it. I got within about 10 yards from the apparition, and I was able to get a better look at it.

The thing was floating a couple feet above the flat rock below, and I saw no sources of light for the apparition. I looked left and right and saw no sources of light from either side, or anything from above it, or any stray light from neighboring houses. The thing just glowed dimly white.

I took a couple more steps, saying to the entity, "It's okay that you are here, I don't want to harm you, and I don't want to be harmed." With my third step or so, I watched as the apparition began to descend slowly down into the rock it was perched above. It literally just folded itself down until it was completely gone.

Just as it disappeared, my wife came around the corner of our house with the flashlight on, asking me what she was supposed to be looking for. I told her briefly what I'd seen, and I grabbed the flashlight and went over to the rock where I'd seen the apparition. Nothing remained, and the area was pitch-dark.

About that time, the noise from the crickets and bugs returned, a dog barked in the distance, and I began to hear noise from the main road several blocks from our house. It was as if something had flipped a switch and suddenly the world of that neighborhood was audible again.

I'd made a mental note while observing the apparition about its height and width, using nearby trees as a guide. The next morning, I was still a bit shaken, so I took a construction-grade tape measure from my tool box and made some rough measurements of the relative size of apparition. I came up with figures of around 12 feet tall and nearly four feet wide.

On reflection, the apparition looked to be in perfect proportion to a large mummy, but made of milky white fog or smoke which seemed to "move" inside of the outer shape. I got the overwhelming feeling of being watched, but strangely, I felt nothing negative or antagonistic about the apparition. I just felt like it was watching me. Now I wished that I'd stayed still and not approached it, so that my wife would have also possibly been able to observe it.

The land on which my house sits was undoubtedly Indian land at some point, as our land backs up to a low-lying city park that looks as it had been a shallow lake in the last 200 years. To that end, I wonder if the apparition had been some sort of a spirit of one of the former residents of the land?

Anyone have any clues as to what I observed?

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and theories, and welcome your questions.

Other hauntings by MK1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MK1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-27)
Hi, [at] amor! Thanks for the comments.

Wish I'd tried for a photo, but I was too afraid the apparition would disappear while I was fumbling with the phone. I think I thought that the image wouldn't be clear or visible at all.

I did speak to my dear friends who live across the street, who know my experiences and sightings well, and they haven't seen anything remotely similar at all, or much of anything else. They are aware that spirits and the like are out there, but they haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.

I like your theory that something may be under the huge rock which the apparition floated above. But as the rock is flat, but about the size of a small European smart car, I can't see a time when I'd be able to move it or dig around it. The entire area is inundated with massive rocks which were liked moved to the edge of the yard when my home was built around 1974.
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-26)
Hi MK1,

Thank you for a great detailed sharing. It appears it had a command to one's perception that all the normal sound got cancelled out. I was expecting that you'd take a photo when you took out your phone. You're probably too baffled to think of that.

It's good that you talked to it in that manner. I wonder what it wished to convey on the spot it showed itself. Perhaps under the rock. Maybe a quick scan in the neighborhood if they experienced anything similar could give a bit of clue.

Take care.
MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Hi, [at] CuriousDee! I appreciate your comments and kind words.

I truly believe clarity and information helps everyone to understand and offer their best advice, or at least some sympathy.;)

If anything comes up in your mind that may be of assistance, no matter how small or insignificant, I would be all ears. Thanks for caring.:)
MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Hi, [at] Manafon, and thanks for the comments and the possible explanation.

The idea of a "group energy" seems entirely plausible to me. Your experience in 1982 sounds a LOT like what I witnessed, the details being very similar.

For whatever reason, I didn't get the feeling that my sighting was alien in nature (although I did not rule that out), but closer to what I'd associate with the paranormal. I seem to have a home in an area teeming with spirits of the peoples who inhabited this region.

I do believe that certain areas are sort of magnets for paranormal energies, and after living in this home for six years, I get the feeling that there are many, many spirits and things lingering around here.

That said, would anyone on here think it was a good idea to seek the advice of a medium about what might be lurking here? Or would something like that disturb or anger those spirits? I do realize that the information I might receive could be negative or frightening, which explains my hesitation.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
MK1,

What a fascinating encounter! You described everything so well, great job on the details. I wish I had better input, but wanted to express my appreciation to you for sharing this. Your experience definitely has me thinking of all the possibilities.

Wonderful read, thanks again 😊
Dee
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Hi MK1 - Your account was a very interesting one. Back in the summer of 1982 I encountered something somewhat similar. What I saw while camping out by an abandoned lighthouse off the coast of South Carolina was a weird, milky or smoky like fog that was about a foot off the ground and weaved around nearby trees without touching them. It undulated and moved like a liquid or smoke slowed down. Like the apparition you witnessed, this fog gave off a noticeable bluish light from within. It was bright enough to illuminate the forest around my tent. The light given off by this "mist" was of the same intensity as a full moon.

Later that night after I heard a weird scream I believe to have been paranormal and reminiscent of the silence you experienced, all the night sounds around me ceased completely for a couple of minutes. Your thought that what you witnessed might have been the spirit of an American Indian seems plausible. It might also have been an apparition caused by multiple spirits that permeate the land around you. That might explain its unusual dimensions. I feel that the strange fog I witnessed might have been caused by the many people who had lived on the land when it had been used as a World War Two training camp. Sort of a "group energy". There are occasional reports of things similar to what you and I witnessed that suggest the possibility of some sort of collective or "group" apparition.

Thanks for sharing your fascinating encounter.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
MK1 -

What an awesome sighting you had! I would have rUn back inside if I would have seen something like this but I would still consider myself "lucky". It was very brave of you to talk to it and approach it. If this were a movie and I was watching it, I would be the one yelling at you to run back and hide. LOL

I've read all the comments and find it all very interesting, I have also learned a lot of things I didn't know.

Thanks for sharing!
MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Hi, [at] Dandk! Thank you for your comment.

I certainly wish I had captured video on my phone of the apparition. The entire incident did not last any longer than a couple minutes, and during this time I'd wanted to get my wife to come outside and have a look to corroborate my experience.

I remember being somewhat afraid to look away from the apparition, for fear that it might disappear before I'd gotten a good look. And the glowing light from the being was not very bright.

I think I just felt that I should keep watching and not try to waste valuable time trying to get the shot. I do have a long background of media, specifically television, and I got the feeling that the light from the apparition would have been too low to actually capture anything usable.

Like I said, I could faintly see the outline of trees and brush through the apparition, so it wasn't a solid white smoky glow. It was almost as if a dimly-glowing white fog was moving about while encased in a solid "body" shape. The outline of the "body" of the apparition was fairly sharp, while the middle of the "body" was a bit more detailed.

What was even more strange was that I could not find evidence of the apparition's light source... It was self-contained, and there was absolutely no light from any neighboring houses, cars, streetlights, flashlights. Nothing.
MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Hi, [at] Melda! Thank you for your comments. Normally, when I am outside my home at night, I am vigilant about checking the area around me, not only for strange occurences such as the one I had here, but also for the wild animals such as coyotes or fox, who sometimes roam this area at night.

The best I can say is that the apparition itself was so vivid, yet seemed unthreatening, and I made the snap decision to simply address the entity and make my intentions known. I suppose I could have turned tail and run, but the apparition, as odd as it was, fascinated me.

I honestly felt no malice from it; the being just seemed like it wanted to "watch" me. I have no idea why.

Furthermore, I was deep in thought and focused at that moment, which my job requires a fierce attention to detail, and the last thing on my mind was that I might encounter an apparition!
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
MK1, This is actually an interesting subject.

One of the theories put forward by the people who study UFO phenomenon is: the phenomenon (apparition, or craft) effectively creates their own space-time bubble.

This could help explain the absence of all sound where there should be sound. It also helps to explain the time anomalies (missing time) associated with the phenomenon.

Exactly how this is done is what some physicists are struggling to learn.

There is some information on the web related to the current trends of thought and the efforts being made by some physicists to solve these problems.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Thanks for sharing your story. It sure would have been great if, in addition to thinking about calling your wife, you had video recorded the sighting with your phone. If it's visible to your eye would it be visible to your phone camera?
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
MK1 - What an interesting and memorable experience.

The fact that you appear to have felt no fear whatsoever and the entity allowed you to study it for a short while speaks volumes to me. The average event would have played out differently; you would have been rooted to the spot in terror and the entity would have disappeared swiftly.

Whatever it was, I believe it wanted to be observed and particularly by you. I have absolutely no idea why it was there or what it represented.

As I said before, very interesting indeed.

Regards, Melda
MK1 (2 stories) (28 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Thank you, [at] matrix899.

This wasn't my first encounter at my home with the "silence" which I described, but it was the first where I actually saw a being or apparition of some sort associated with that "silence." The absence of sound alone was eerie and startling enough.

The odd thing was this whole encounter was completely unexpected, as I was in "work mode," and I was only coming outside to get a breath of fresh air to clear my head before immediately returning inside to my labor.

There have been a couple instances where I experienced the "silence" and saw orbs of blue light, or witnessed a very unsettling movement of the wooded area right next to where I saw this apparition. (The latter experience is pretty amazing, and worthy of its own story on here.)

I am aware that this type of "silence" is often reported along with UFO or paranormal encounters, and to that end, I also scanned the skies around me after the encounter to see if the apparition had been accompanied by some sort of craft or vehicle, but I saw nothing.

Yet another variable in my story is that my home is situated in the very edge of my city, and behind the house across the street, less than a mile away, is the border of the massive tract of land that is Redstone Arsenal, the main home of NASA.

Huntsville, Alabama is the birthplace of the US Space & Rocket Program, begun after WWII by Dr Wernher von Braun. My late father was employed by von Braun's team beginning in the late 1950s until his retirement in 1987, so I was fortunate to see rocket tests and launches (including a couple Space Shuttle missions.)

Makes one wonder who (or what) might be watching what goes on around these parts!
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-25)
Amazing encounter and very well described.

The detail that jumps out at me is the absence of all normal sounds during the encounter, and the return of normal sound after the apparition departed. I feel this is significant to anyone studying the paranormal.

Strangely enough, this "absence of sound" is a recurring theme in many "encounters with UFO" stories, and there are a few theories put forward by those who study the UFO phenomenon. Clearly, there is much food for thought here.

You were indeed brave to approach the apparition. Your presence of mind and calmness is to be commended.

The experience is very well described, so I have no questions. You clearly encountered some type of intelligence that would not or could not communicate with you. Thanks for sharing the experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: