You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghostly Voice Saying My Brother's Name

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Voice Saying My Brother's Name

 

When I was around 6 years old, a very disturbing night happened. Me and my brother shared the same bedroom, late into the night we always talked or played much to our parents' annoyance. As my brother and I played and giggled one night, he instantly jumped into bed and covered himself up in the blankets, out of instinct I did too. There was silence for a moment until I asked him what was wrong.

"Did you hear that?" he asked me. I responded no, I told him again what happened and why he was acting weird. "A woman's voice is calling my name; can you hear it?"

I told him he was being stupid, but he whispered to me to pay attention and listen. So, I did, I listened carefully. My blood ran cold and I instantly got chills as I heard a woman's voice say my brother's name repeatedly, over and over again in rhythm. I thought it couldn't be our mom in the other room, it felt so close as if in my ear.

I instantly told the voice to shut up and it did, only for a second and it continued again. My brother asked in confusion "What is it?" I answered "I don't know but it's freaky."

I got annoyed and said "If you don't shut up, I swear I'm going to hit you!" but the threats didn't work and it kept repeating his name like a broken record.

We then decided to repeatedly call out to our parents but to no answer. I can't remember what exactly happened next, I think my brother told me our parents were down stairs and we negotiated our next move.

We eventually ran downstairs and saw our parents sleeping on the sofa, the lights were still on and a horror movie was playing, they must have fell asleep while the tv was on. For some reason I felt very clam watching the horror movie. I remember it went to the cliché part where the lights go out and the group had to split up. Eventually me and brother got bored and woke up our mom and dad. We told them what happened, and they didn't believe us telling us there's no such thing as ghosts and it was only our imagination.

We went to bed and the voice was gone. Maybe it was our imagination, but my brother told me the next day, as I was sleeping, he felt the entire room and bed spinning, he didn't get any sleep that night.

This was our first experience with the paranormal and we never encountered or read about ghosts as we were still young but this experience captivated me to read more books on the subject.

The weird thing is my family home was relatively new. Only three generations of our family lived in it since it was built and we never thought of it to be haunted and we still don't.

Having said this, my parents swapped rooms and what was once the kids room is now the master bedroom, my mom has said whenever she was alone in the room she felt eyes upon her and that rarely at night when she is nearly asleep she senses someone kneeling down and looking at her.

To this day it still gives me chills.

Other hauntings by Gh0st_Knight

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gh0st_Knight, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gh0st_Knight (5 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-02)
[at] LuciaJacinta I'm aware of this too but never had anything strange happen to me after watching such movies, as mentioned I didn't watch it before and my parents already sleeping so I doubt a spirit was conjured but I just don't know. I really can't remember the title as it was an old 70's movie on basic TV before everything went digital. I seen the movie as a form escapism that distracted me during that disturbing night.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-30)
Here's a thought... Since your parents were watching a horror movie could it have been a spirit conjured up by the movie itself?

I have heard of this happening after certain movies like The Exorcist for example. People have told me that after watching that movie things happened to them.

So which movie was it?
Gh0st_Knight (5 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-25)
Hi AugustaM Yes my brother's name is very common in the region and our family. According to folklore our town is said to be built upon a battleground but historians say that it's "Popular fancy" and there's no historic evidence. I really don't remember anything bad or life changing to our family after that incident.
JRGurganus1998 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-24)
That's crazy, I would have been scared too, especially at only 6. You two handled that like champs though.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-22)
Has anyone else in your family before your brother had that name? Is it a name that is at all common in your region? Could be that you two experienced some sort of spiritual echo if someone by that name had previously resided/existed there (whether in *that* house or a structure that stood there before or even a battle field or some such). Had that person met an untimely end, you may have heard the echos of the grief of someone who had been left behind until their time came.

Could be too that something fairly benign wanted your attention perhaps to warn you of something. Thinking back on that time in your life did anything particularly momentous happen to you or your brother in the weeks thereafter?
Gh0st_Knight (5 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
Hi Bibliothecarius thank you for helping me understand the misconception.

I use "Mom" because I like how it sounds and have always pronounced it that way.

I and my brother told her this story eventually and that sometimes when I'm alone in that room I feel there's eyes watching me, My mom confessed she felt that way too and told me what she sensed that one night, apart from that we never had any problems for 20 years.

You're right, the master bedroom and house has a lot of clutter and instruments, I feel whenever it is cleaned once in a while it feels lighter. I'll try the non-religious ritual and see what happens. My family are not religious but I and my grandma are the spiritual ones in the family.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
Greetings, Gh0st_Knight, and welcome to YGS.

This was a most interesting phenomenon to read. I know you said your family doesn't believe the house to be haunted, but the fact that there's a lingering phenomenon experienced by your mother seems a little odd to me (more on this point later).

I hope you don't mind my focusing upon one of your observations that is based upon a common misconception: "The weird thing is my family home was relatively new. Only three generations of our family lived in it since it was built and we never thought of it to be haunted and we still don't." Haunting phenomena are not necessarily limited to the location in which a person has died. Ghosts may manifest in a location that was important to the deceased, or in the location of a relative or descendant --even if the deceased had not visited that location in his or her lifetime. Additionally, there are some entities that seem to have become aware of their status and decide to take the opportunity to wander around and see the world.

The point of concern for me would be that the entity knew your brother's name and used it repeatedly. It is in situations like that, especially if you don't recognize the voice, that I'd begin to suspect a malevolent entity. I realize that there's not much you can do about that voice now, but as your mother is experiencing a phenomenon that may or may not be linked to the voice you heard, then her home may indeed contain a negative entity.

Under what circumstances did your mother share this information with you? Also, I noticed you use the American "mom" instead of "mum" in your narrative; may I ask why? (Just curious.)

I'd recommend that you offer to help your parents in a general "spring cleaning" effort to remove accumulated knick-knacks and clutter from the house. (Three generations can lead to a lot of unnecessary items that don't really have the same significance as heirloom furniture, art work, or useful tools, for example.) Reorganizing and tidying up a room can lead to a fresh, positive perspective.

If your parents are religious, I'd recommend that they follow this clean-out by having a minister do a blessing on their home. If they aren't religious, there's a cleansing ritual that one of our greatly-esteemed members, Rook, has posted on his homepage. Go to www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155 and start reading at the line "Rook's Cleansing and Shielding Method (as used by myself and many other members of this site)..." It is compatible with religious and non-religious belief systems, and opening the windows wouldn't raise any eyebrows if combined with the spring-cleaning suggestion.

I suspect that there is *something* amiss with this situation, but everyone involved has been shrugging it off as insignificant: a bit like a slowly-dripping tap. When there is a haunting, people tend to expect Hollywood pyrotechnics, levitating pets, etc., but don't often consider the cumulative effect of a patient entity that mildly unnerves people over a span of years.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: