You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Ghostly Coincidence?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Coincidence?

 

Back in 2010, my parents were living with me until they could find a place of their own. I was selling my house at the time and, unfortunately, my dad passed away so my mom and I got an apartment together. It was a cute 2 bedroom/2 bath and had a laundry room off the kitchen.

About a month after moving in, my mom went away for the weekend and I had the place to myself. I was doing laundry and when I went to switch it I noticed my mom's lamp was on. I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't on earlier because it was still light outside. This lamp was a touch lamp and I've heard they can be fickle. I turned it off and checked to make sure the bulb was tight and went on with laundry.

Later, when I went back to switch laundry the lamp was on again! This time I was a bit unnerved but turned it off and went on with my evening. It didn't turn on again that night and I checked the next day when I woke up.

When mom got home I nonchalantly asked her if she'd had any trouble with the lamp in her room and she said no. I didn't make a big deal about it because she would've scoffed at me.

Another month goes by and my mom goes away for the weekend. I'm at home doing laundry and it happens again! Just like the last time. It totally gave me chill bumps and I really wanted to believe it was my dad saying hello. He died suddenly and we didn't get to say goodbye.

On a side note to this story, I didn't automatically think this was paranormal because it could be explained since the lamp was a touch one so I asked my brother in law, who is a master electrician, to inspect the lamp and the outlet it was plugged into. He did not find anything wrong at all and I never had any more trouble with that lamp.

A few months later, my mom moved out and my son moved in. She left that lamp and it was in my son's room. One morning I woke up to find the lamp sitting on the dining room table. My son explained it had turned on in the middle of the night and he didn't want it in his room. Lol

Not sure where that lamp ended up but I honestly don't feel it was a coincidence. I really want to believe it was my dad letting me know he was around.

Other hauntings by Suzy2

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Suzy2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-28)
In addition to radio transmissions, static electricity can also turn on touch lamps. Pulling a load of laundry out of the dryer or tossing and turning amongst the bedclothes can both generate a good deal of statically charged particles. Touch lamps are so finicky, I don't like having them around for that very reason. I am not ruling the paranormal out but I am leaning towards the "normal."
JuggaloJohn (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-25)
I truly believe it was your dad saying hello. Our loved ones who pass, love to play. They move things around and turn on lamps to say, "I'm here". A true delight to know that your father is there with you all. You could try setting up a camcorder to see if you can capture anything moving. Try talking to him maybe he can turn it on/off as a yes/no questions. It worked for me using the flashlight trick.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-22)
What a wonderful story! 😊 I think it was your dad too, because he seemed to know when to turn the lamp on so you'd notice. I had an experience similar, I had broken my ankle on both sides and was in a wheel chair. My boyfriend was sleeping and I had rolled my wheelchair over to the couch to lay down and watch TV. I had to be very careful to transfer myself from the wheelchair, my leg was in a cast and sticking straight out. I finally got in the position I wanted only to realize I hadn't turned off the light! It was over my head and too bright. I wished so much I hadn't forgotten it when all of a sudden it clicked off?! This is an older lamp with a switch you have to turn on and off from the side below the light bulb, and it's not easily turned. I sat there in total disbelief!? That lamp has never done it again. Thank you for taking my down memory lane and your story.
❤
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-15)
Quaint stories like this one always bring a smile to my face - I love the thought of a deceased parent paying their respects in such a non-invasive manner! God Bless!
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-14)
MrsRamsay,

Sounds like your mom really wanted to let you know she was there. Very interesting!

Thank you for your comment.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-14)
Lealeigh,

My mom did not get to say goodbye to my dad. He passed suddenly. My parents did own that lamp.

Of course, I want to believe he was communicating with me through that lamp and I didn't feel fear at all.

Thank you for your comment Maria.
Suzy2 (5 stories) (17 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-14)
robmkivseries70
Very interesting scenario. I've never heard of a radio transmission causing such a thing. My only thought, this never happened to my mom. I do believe we should never automatically assume things are paranormal.
Thank you for your response Rob.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-12)
I have experienced this a few times in my life, also when people close to me have passed. Cleaning my mom's house out after her death, I'd go over and turn the porch light off (which had been left on all night for security) only to find it on again when I took garbage out. Inside, lights would go on and off and I would smell her perfume (though it WAS her home and that made sense). One day after I'd turned off that front light, hours later I left and as I was pulling out of the drive, I remembered I had NOT turned them on, but they were shining SO BRIGHTLY, and I immediately thought it was her telling me she had it. I should mention that during her last five years, we would repeatedly tease her because she always had every darned light on (for security) but I secretly wondered if she hadn't seen something in the shadows after my step dad passed away... She was so adamant about the lights being on and would buy big cases of lightbulbs! Another time, I came home fro her house to find one of the lamps she'd "left me" turned on, when there was no way anyone had turned it on. It was her saying hello -- my first thought! I was never fearful.
robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (37 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-10-11)
Good Day,
Near by radio transmissions can turn a touch lamp on and off as my wife can attest. I do radio as a hobby and had this happen. After the lamp broke I had no further troubles. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but this is very possible.
Best,
Rob
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-10)
Hi Suzy2,

Did your mom get a chance to say goodbye to your father? Maybe he was trying to get you and your son's attention specifically.

Did the lamp belong to your parents before he died?

I'm very sorry for your loss. Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: