You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Chester Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Chester Haunting

 

I have always been quite taken with the idea of the paranormal and was luckily enough to live in a haunted house for 8 years. This was a town house in chester and shortly after moving in, we got used to hearing the slamming of the front door, followed by the sound of someone running up the stairs... this, we explained by the fact that our neighbours front door and stairs were just through the wall from ours and we thought it was them, slamming their own front door and running upstairs.

However we quickly came to realize, that our neighbours consisted of a quite slow moving older lady, not given to slamming or running anywhere, and her disabled daughter who couldn't do either. But we never gave it much thought, it was "just one of those things".

Then, one evening when I was working late, my very skeptical partner, was lying in bed, not, he assured me asleep, turning over a particularly difficult work concern over and over in his mind, when he became aware of something standing next to him. On opening his eyes he caught a glimpse of a slight, small figure in white with very blond hair, slipping out of the bedroom. Our daughter was 3 or 4 at the time and had blond hair and was wearing a white nightdress that night, so my partner quickly got up, thinking she had been disturbed in her sleep and come for help, returning to her own room when she thought he was asleep. He found our little girl fast asleep. She would have only been a few paces ahead of him anyway, but she was snuggled down, as warm as toast, and quite deeply asleep.

He checked the boys, both of whom were fast asleep and it was only on returning to our room he realized that he hadn't heard the bedroom door open, it was quite heavy and dragged on the carpet when opening. So now we were a little more aware, not alarmed, but a little more watchful.

We had good friends who lived a few doors away, we held front door keys for each other and would check each others houses, putting lights on, feeding cats etc, if either of us were away from home. A year of so after the bedroom incident, a 3rd friend turned up to visit my friend of a few doors away, "Is C poorly?" she asked, enquiring after my little girl, "No, why?" asked my friend "oh I saw her looking out of her bedroom window, when I passed, she looked quite pale and didn't wave back to me" said the other friend. My friend said she went quite cold when told this and replied "but the whole family are away for the weekend, I opened the curtains and turned the lights out a couple of hours ago"... her husband was called and the 3 of them searched the house from top to bottom and, of course found nothing.

So this was how things went for the time we stayed in that house, every month or so there would be the slam of the door, and then the running footsteps, sometimes you would catch something white on the edge of your vision. Having young children, and this being in the time of negative equity, we kept quiet about it, it didn't frighten us and just became something we lived with.

Then one day I was off work, the middle boy had some childhood illness. And I'd taken the day to be with him. I had just come out of his bedroom, my arms full of dirty bed sheets. He was quite ill. And was about to walk down the stairs, the front door being at the end of the short hallway, right in front of me, when I heard the door slam, of course I looked up to see the door in its usual place, and then the running steps came up the stairs, ran right behind me and disappeared into my eldest sons bedroom. The hairs on my neck certainly prickled! And then my poorly son called to ask if that was his big brother coming home.

On another occasion when the oldest son was 15 he had a very bad bout of chicken pox and was off school, when he heard the door slam and heard the running footsteps. He knew it was too early for either I or his dad to be home and also, as the house was quiet, heard the footsteps run into his room. He phoned me at work demanding why we hadn't told him the house was haunted. He was so angry!

We moved out a couple of years after that. Due to having to relocate for employment reasons, and it was only recently that we told the younger children, who were also put out at living in a haunted house and not knowing... smiles. I can honestly say we, those of us in the house who knew about it, never felt frightened by the experience. The strangest thing was, when we moved out to suffolk, we had to take a temporary house for a few months and then moved into our own home.

On the evening of the move I was completely worn out, it was early summer and my husband said he would take the kids off for a walk while I took myself off for a bath and early bed. I was just getting into bed when I heard the front door slam and the sound of running feet, climbing stairs. I called out a "hi" to let them know I was awake still and got no reply. I realized then that I'd heard the sound of feet running up stairs. The new house was a bungalow. We never heard or saw anything in that house after that. Now my current home, built in the 1700s is quite another story...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, beltaine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

thygreatspirit (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
I've only just moved to Chester, it's quite a nice place.
You may be experiencing one of them ghosts that do the same thing continuosly. It's good that you didn't feel frightened, for these ghosts can't harm you. They probably didn't even know you lived there!
Wow - a house built in the 1700s?
:D
Have a nice day,
Rhiannon.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hello Beltaine. I enjoyed reading this story. This did sound like a residual haunting in your home, but then when you moved, it happened again. Like rhodes said, maybe she was connected to your family somehow. I would have tried to communicate with this little girl in some way. Thanks for your story here.
ozonalions (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-23)
Hi Beltaine,

My name is Lauren. They say that ghosts can follow you places like, the store, hotels, to a family home, and to another home. Maybe you can ask the current home owner if she is having the same things happening to them. If so maybe BOTH houses are haunted
if not the ghost may of followed you...

hope that helped

Lauren ❤ ❤
ozonalions (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-23)
Hi Beltaine,

My name is Lauren. They say that ghosts can follow you places like, the store, hotels, to a family home, and to another home. Maybe you can ask the current home owner if she is having the same things happening to them. If so maybe BOTH houses are haunted
if not the ghost may of followed you...

hope that helped

Lauren ❤ ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-23)
Most of this sounds like a residual haunting. The running and slamming of doors is always the same, sometimes different circumstances, but still noticed in the same manner. I would say that the little girl is connected to the children as she is around the same age group.
Sounds like a second story is in the works. I sure would be interested in reading that one.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Very interesting story. I really liked reading it. Good thing this ghost liked you all. I bet it felt like home. Too bad that the ghost didn't cross over. Maybe the next members will haelp it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-21)
Hi beltaine. I like the way you say 'lucky' enough to have lived in a haunted house 😊 I've got my own 'special' friends, hanging around quietly and causing no trouble. I don't have any negative feelings from them either. I was thinking your spirits were attracted to your kids and felt comfortable with them. I think that since you and your family, being open minded and aware of the spirits around you, gave the ghosts the opportunity to be recognized and recieve attention from you. They were probably delighted that you are aware of them. I'm curious about the one experience in your Suffolk home. One door slam and run up the non-existant stairs may have been the way the spirit from your other house said good bye to you. If your friend 'C' had a ghost then maybe you could do some research on the whole area. There may have been some type of institution on the land so the little girl, assuming it was the same girl that your husband had seen, was able to go through other houses in the area. Did you ever hear of other neighbors having any experiences? I really enjoyed your story and thanks for sharing it. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new home.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
It sounds as if you had a couple different things happening in that house. I agree with Ohiowatha, it sounds as if the slamming of the door and running foot steps where a residual type haunting. I know in your story you indicated that his occured more often with negative times, well it could have been that at that point there was more energy exhibited allowing this residual to be pronounced.

The little girl is another story. She sounds to have been very passive. It may be that as you have a young girl about her age she would relate to her being a part of the family.

I would certainly say a prayer for her to cross over, it is very sad when a child becomes trapped on this plane, or any other for that matter.

I look forward to reading your other stories.

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
I'm not sure this is anything more than a residual haunting. Since this entity often repeated exactly the same action as slamming the door and running into the boys rooms, I'm not sure you were ever its focus. In fact, it could be that this "running" entity and the little girl were two separate ones. There's no evidence to suggest one way or the other, but it's a possibility. Since the girl seemed passive and showed herself only to your partner, your neighbor and never you, but the running was heard by you and everyone else, though never seen, it's very possible these were not the same force. While it seems natural to assume these are the same, there's absolutely no evidence supporting that, so I cannot tell which.

Very curious and very typical and I thank you for sharing. This one is going into my databank.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-20)
Beltaine,hi. It sounds like the little figure was following YOU around and not simply residing in your previous house. Could it be that, being unable to cross over, she saw you as family? More, since she was constantly heard entering your children's rooms, it's quite probable that she felt a connection with them as being of about the same age. So sad to know that an innocent soul is lost and unprotected! From what I gather, you didn't try to communicate with her in any way and assist her, am I right?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: