You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Sailor And His Wife

Real Ghost Stories

The Sailor And His Wife

 

In December of 2012 my then fiancée (wife now) and I were on vacation on Grand Cayman Island. It's my favorite place on Earth! It's a small island that is ringed with coral reefs and hundreds of old sailing ships have wrecked on them. The most famous shipwreck was the Wreck of the Ten Sails which is near the hotel where we were staying. After a day of scuba diving and fun and sun and shopping we got dressed up, island style, and had a very romantic dinner at a restaurant called The Lighthouse. This restaurant is far away from the main city of Georgetown as is the hotel where we were staying.

All the "action" is on the west end of the island, we were staying on the east end on a stretch of road with no houses for miles. When we finished dinner, we got in the rental car and decided to take the scenic route back to the hotel. We headed north towards Rum Point and then started to loop around the east end road back to the hotel. I say "Scenic Route" but there was nothing to see. At night it is darker than the inside of a cow on the east end of the island. There are no street lights, signs, houses or stripes on the road, it was DARK! All we could see was what the headlights on the rental car illuminated.

A few miles from the hotel the road goes through a protected nature reserve and the brush and shrubs line both sides of the road like a solid wall, 5 - 10 feet tall. We were about 500 yards from the hotel when we drove around a sharp bend and our headlights illuminated something that I will NEVER forget. Standing in the brush, not amongst the brush, in the brush, was a man and a woman. When the headlights lit them up, they didn't flinch or cover their eyes, they just stood motionless. The man was life size and wore a shirt with wide blue horizontal stripes. The woman was a little shorter and was wearing a gingham style dress that covered her up to her neck. They looked to be about 50 - 60 years old and their faces were weather beaten. My fiancée remembers the man being bald, I remember him wearing a close fitting cap. We both agreed on the woman having her hair pulled back. If you are familiar with the painting "American Gothic," that's how they were standing. They were glowing, not because of the headlights but had an eerie glow. They looked alive but we couldn't see their legs below their knees, they were basically floating. The speed limit on the island is only 30 or 35 MPH so we got a good look. We drove past them and I immediately stopped the car and looked at my fiancée and said, "Did you see that?" She just nodded her head and her eyes were as wide open as mine. I quickly backed up and the man and woman were gone.

Funny thing is that we weren't scared or frightened. We both remember a feeling of calmness washing over us. We figured they were a sailor and his wife that were killed on one of the wrecks. It was common during sailing ship days for sailors to bring their wives with them. We spent several more days on the island and drove by the brush where we saw the two several more times but never saw them again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rustbkt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SOS_Paranormal (2 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-29)
Hi, would you be happy for me to retell and publish your story anonymously to my YouTube channel and podcast?
TheSweetDevil23 (6 stories) (49 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-09-24)
Damn interesting! I wish I had felt that calmness when I faced such stuff but I had never seen such crystal clear ghostly figures with such precision...amazing...I loved your post. It made me imagine being with you guys in your vehicle and seeing that couple. I even googled the American Gothic painting to get a more clear image in my mind for the ghostly couple you saw... Even ended up reading about the painting as well. I learned something new and read equally an interesting write up of yours.
rustbkt (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-09-20)
We discussed the incident with the clerk at the hotel. He suggested that they were guests who wandered down the road. I pointed out that they were inside a bush and wearing vintage clothing... He seemed to be more interested in not alarming the other guests. My fishing charter captain, a lifelong resident said, "Ya Mon, they are all over the island!" The feeling of calmness washing over us was in line with other legitimate reports I've read about over the years. Unlike those sensationalized TV shows about ghost hunters.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-09-20)
Hi rustbkt

A Very interesting incident that you and your wife experienced, maybe the locals would have been able to shed more light on the mysterious couple, have you perhaps discussed this with anyone else?
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-09-19)
It's fascinating because the two of you saw it together. It makes it all the more real because the idea of you both Imagining the same thing at the same time that day is almost impossible no matter what psychologists say about mass hallucinations.
I'm betting that's an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your lives!
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2021-09-19)
Wow, a really memorable story and amazing!
I wonder if they somehow purposely showed themselves to you two... A happy couple who seem to understand the area. But how could they know, right? Who knows, it's all so mysterious. I wonder if others locally have ever seen them. Thank you for sharing this compelling story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: