You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Picture Frame

Real Ghost Stories

The Picture Frame

 

This story is completely true. It happened when my family and I lived in a house that had A LOT of paranormal activity. This is one of the many reasons we decided to move. You have to know the entire story to understand, this is just part of it.

I have a husband and two girls. My girls were pretty young at the time. I would say 4 and 8. We had went on vacation and were returning home. Upon arriving, I decided to get the girls in the bath and cook dinner. I was walking back and forth between the master bathroom and the kitchen. That's when I saw it.

A picture of our youngest on the top of our bookshelf had been completely turned around. Now, this wasn't like it had been tampered with and somebody just put it back haphazardly. No. This picture frame was deliberately turned around to where the picture of my little girl was facing the bookshelf and the back of the frame was facing outward. Perfectly. I mean it was neat. Straight. Placed back in perfect symmetry to the rest of the pictures and in the exact same spot. Just completely backwards.

When I saw it, it took my breath away. My beautiful baby, there amongst all the other pictures, but hers turned around. It seemed so dark. I tried not to over react. I thought logically. Ok. Obviously, it was the kids. But the kids couldn't reach that high. Not without a ladder and they had not been on a ladder. And I mean I'm with them ever single minute of every single day.

Next would be my husband. I found him. And brought him to look at the bookshelf. His reaction? He gasped too. I don't think he meant to. He's not one to over react. But like I said, it just seemed dark. He said he didn't do it. And I mean what motivation would a loving father have to do that to a picture of a child?

I know it wasn't like that before we left for our vacation. It didn't take me long to spot it. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb. No one had been in our house. We had a security system so we literally knew no one had been in our house.

We had been feeling paranormal things for a while. It had literally gotten to the point that I would shout and say, "Stop It!" when something paranormal would happen. Pictures fell off the wall All. The. Time. Footsteps could be heard All. The. Time. My kids were crazy scared All. The. Time. Dreams, visions, sightings... You name it.

I began to think that whatever it was, was targeting my kids. And I was ready to get the heck out of dodge. This was my final straw. I finally talked my husband into it and mixed with a few other things going on, we decided to sell.

Since then, nothing. My kids are happy and aren't terrified. There have been almost zero paranormal issues (aside from the lights turning on twice which could have been caused by nearly anything electrical). My house is peaceful. I never really realized how terrified I was in that house until I got out. I'm so at peace here it's amazing.

Have you experienced anything like this? Where your kids were targeted? I've always heard that places aren't haunted, people are. But that place is definitely haunted. I also forgot to mention that the people we bought the house from have a YouTube channel where they tell their own ghost stories about that house. We, of course, had no idea when we bought it!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Curlygirly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

OddTonicSociety (1 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-25)
Any chance you'd share the YouTube link? That just seems so intriguing!
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-23)
Hi Curlygirly,

Let me just start by saying that I'm glad you and your family were able to find somewhere peaceful where you're happy.

It's interesting that you say seeing this picture turned around "felt dark." Talking with people and reading this sight, I'm learning that how you feel about a paranormal experience can say a lot about the nature of the situation.

The part about the dreams is interesting too. I've usually just dismissed dreams as being crazy movies our brains put together that don't really mean anything, but recently I've begun to pay more attention after I started noticing paranormal activity in my own house and since I'm prone to lucid dreaming. If you are comfortable and able, could you shed some light on the nature of these dreams?
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (239 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-22)
Hello Curlygirly, great story and thanks for sharing! I would have gone with your instincts, if the house felt off besides the odd things occurring that went with it, then that is definitely time to go, our intuition can serve us well when we listen to it.

Many people that live in a haunted place, develop a sort of coping mechanism, much like people in traumatic circumstances. Some outright deny anything is going in, even if its right in front of their eyes, some try to just adjust. In my family, my cousin had remarked to my brother when he saw a ghost at the foot of the bed "Oh that happens all the time" Point in fact I found out after they had vacated the house that with everything they experienced, I'm not sure how they could have stayed there. However as kids, they had no say in the matter so they learned to cope as best they could.

I'm also with LightMight on this one as well, some places can appear haunted, and by that I mean a full blown supernatural spectacle complete with apparitions, voices, footsteps, moving objects, etc and then the next family that lives there experiences nothing, nada.

I can think of 2 stories here in the US that most everyone is familiar with in some shape or form, one is the haunting in Amityville and the other the one the Tallman house in Wisconsin. In the case of Amityville, there were the murders in 1974, and the family that lived there in 1975, fled, chased out by terrifying supernatural forces. However since then, no one that has lived there or owned the place has experienced much of anything. The same with the Tallman home, it was a new housing development, the family chased out in much the same fashion and yet by all accounts, nothing was experienced by subsequent owners. What's more is both families, weren't pursued or haunted after their encounters. So in that case, the homes don't appear to be haunted and neither does the family? So what happened? There are of course many stories that the families made it up for publicity, they didn't like the house, etc, however some facts remain.

Putting the fact that it could have been a partial or complete fabrication aside, in those stories it could have been the perfect storm or events that came together. The Tallman home, there has been some conjecture, that the children's bunk beds, apparently 2nd hand was the cause. In both situations children were involved. It could have been some kind of poltergeist, some sort of residual energy that interacted with the kids. If the bunk beds were responsible in the Tallman home, and in Amityville, there was a family that was murdered, so energy could have been left behind there as well. The bunk beds as far as I can find were disposed of and I'm not sure if in either home since then there have been any kids living there. It's a bit of a mystery, but one that can't always be explained by either the location or the people, perhaps it can be both, providing just the right mix of ingredients to create a mysterious paranormal event. The homes and the families don't appear to be haunted after they lived there and moved on.

Anyways enough of my rambling, these stories are up for conjecture and opinion, but I find it interesting nonetheless and perhaps you'll find something that will help you in what you experienced. You seem to have left 'it' behind, whatever 'it' was. Good Luck!
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-19)
Hi Curlygirly

I know exactly what a relief it must have been for you and your family to leave that place, even though a lot of time and money went into that place, peace of mind is worth more than anything.
Curlygirly (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-18)
Hi Rajine!

Thanks for your comment!

Yes, I agree. It was malevolent. It took us a while to get on the same page about that. When you live in a house that creeps you out, I think a lot of us just try to push it aside and go on. We had spent a lot of time and money to be there and make it our home! But yes, the more time went on, things definitely became more sinister. And when I felt like whatever it was was directly going after my children, it was my breaking point. No bueno. Which is why the picture frame stands out the most to me in all the chaos the force created. And now that we are gone and live in a "normal" house, I do believe this is the first house I've lived in that hasn't been haunted. Oh well. At least third times a charm!
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-18)
Hi Curlygirly

I believe that places can be haunted as well as people, depending on the situation, my family and I have been in a similar situation where we were always told by other family and friends that our old house was creepy and strange, however we never felt that way, even though we knew and experienced a lot of ghostly activity, we only realized what they meant when we moved out.

I believe that this wasn't a regular haunting but rather something malevolent often people confuse a normal ghostly haunting with something much more darker.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2022-01-16)
Curlygirly,

I don't think your story sounds crazy at all - if you hang around here at YGS long enough to read through many of the shared stories by other members, you'll start to realize how common these strange experiences are. 😉
Curlygirly (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2022-01-16)
Thank you! It is nice to receive validation. Yes, I am so thankful for where we are now. The crazy thing was that I was scared of literally everything there. As soon as the lights were turned out to go to sleep I think I had a mini panic attack every night. I never felt safe but I guess I thought it was just me.

Looking back now, I understand how incredibly odd all the things that happened in that house were. I actually wanted to tell the people that bought the house from us. Several times. But my husband strongly disagreed. So we didn't say anything. I have since wanted to talk to them to see if they have felt anything. However, I'm afraid if they haven't, I could open a gate of suspicion which could lead to them being vulnerable. So I haven't. But they have never reached out to me.

As far as the people that owned the house before us, I have talked to them several times. The man remembers being in the woods chopping wood and all of a sudden he had a feeling of panic. Then he saw a dark shadowy figure just pass around him. He also said he had a radio that would turn on by itself. Finally he took the batteries out. He said it came on by itself again with absolutely zero power source. My kids toys came on all the time too. Nothing touching them. No one even in the same room.

One other thing and this one is a bit crazy. I know it sounds crazy which is why I didn't share it. Well two. 1) Upstairs in my childrens rooms is where it felt very heavy. Unsettling. My daughter who was probably around 5 at the time had a dream that a red horse came out of her closet. I just find that odd. 2) I was rocking my other daughter to sleep one night in the nursery. She was asleep and I was getting ready to get up and lay her down. I know this is insane but this is what I saw. Something that looked like a centipede with lots of legs but about the size of a snake. It's head was up off the floor so it was not a snake (and I mean it had lots of legs). It kind of slithered/walked across my daughters room to the other side and disappeared under her changing table. I was shocked. Like couldn't move. When I finally was able to regain my senses I walked over to the changing table and looked behind and all around it. Nothing. And nowhere for it to go. I know that sounds crazy. I don't do drugs, I promise.

Anyway, yes, thank you for your comment. It's nice to know someone understands!
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2022-01-16)
Hello Curlygirly, and Welcome!

It definitely sounds like 'something' was trying to get your attention by any means possible: moving pictures frames, flickering lights, footsteps, and terrorizing your children. I think you were wise to move your children out of that home. It's a shame that the previous owners didn't disclose any of their experiences before they sold the house to you, but then they must've assumed that you wouldn't have purchased the home if you were aware of the activity beforehand. Were you able to sell the home, and if so, do you know if the new owners are dealing with the same type of activity?

Regarding haunted houses versus haunted people, something that's always struck me as compelling, is the fact that some people can experience paranormal activity in a home while others that live in the same home may not have any experiences at all. I've actually lived in a similar situation. Personally, I believe it may have to do with how sensitive (open) a person may be to the spiritual realm and also how vulnerable they are. I feel that children can sometimes be more susceptible to being targets because they aren't as guarded or aren't as wary as adults seem to be - and they may feel powerless against the frightening paranormal stuff happening in their home. Keep in mind, there are those who don't believe in the paranormal whatsoever, and have never been bothered by it...

I'm glad that you were able to find a more peaceful place to live with your family ~ Take Care!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: