You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My First Paranormal Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

My First Paranormal Encounter

 

I am sure I will post more stories as time goes on, but let me start with my very first paranormal encounter. Or what I believe was my very first paranormal encounter... I can't exactly tell you the age I was. I was young. I had to still be in elementary - MAYBE early middle school because I still had my pink bedroom.

Let me describe for you the room. When you walk into the bedroom I had a antique white shelving unit that had books and my radio on it (amongst other knickknacks). The radio that I had at the time was your standard AM/FM radio with a cassette player in it. In order to turn the radio on you must push the switch over from "Off" to "AM", "FM", or all the way over to "FM STEREO". When the radio was on "FM STEREO" a little red dot of a light would turn on. Across from the door, adjacent to the wall with the shelving unit was my window. Opposite the shelving unit was my bed, and the dresser was on the remaining wall. At that time I did sleep with my door open, because I never had experienced anything to frighten me.

That night I was sleeping soundly and turned in my bed, waking me a little and I stared around the room. I used to like to look at what the room looks like in the dark. Suddenly my radio went on. I thought nothing of it, considering I was tired enough where my brain was not registering that someone would have to MANUALLY turn it on. I got out of bed and turned the radio off. On my way back to bed it began to register, but at the same time I though perhaps I had fallen asleep with it on.

Settling back down to go to sleep I stared at the radio - almost as if to dare it to turn back on. It did. All the way over to "FM STEREO". But it sounded like "AM" or at least it was very static and I could barely understand what was coming out of the speakers. That was enough. I knew I had a good radio station on it just a moment before - how was it not working now? All I wanted to do was run to my parents room. Only problem was I would have to run past the radio and possibly whatever had been trying to listen to some tunes.

I bolted! I was heading into my parents room and happened to glance in the dresser mirror as a giant shadow figure flew from one side of the wall to the othe r- exiting the house through the wall. I fell to the floor hoping whatever it was wouldn't find me. As I lay there on the ground next to my parent's bed I saw a card. My mother had her room clean mostly, so to find a card on the floor in an envelope was just strange. It had my name on it. It was from my deceased Grandma. After that I went to bed. Ever since I haven't been the same.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Thanks Shelby! I hope to share more with everyone. This is an amazing site!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
Hello Joie. I feel the same way as ParaTam. I think that your Grandmother was connected with the radio, the shadow figure in the mirror and then the card. It does sound a little crazy it all happened at once and could be chalked up to coincidence but I feel like because of the way your Grandmother was when she was alive, she felt guilty and IS trying to make amends. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Thank you Rhodes and ParaTam for your comments (whitebuffalo too!). I hope that this, infact was what happened. I like to think that my late relatives are there for me and my family when times get tough! Can't wait to post with all of you again!
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hi, Joie!
Thank you for submitting your story.

Maybe the radio, the shadow and the card are all related to your grandmother. Some people think that spirits are of the same personality in another dimension as they were in the life you knew them. From an experience I had recently I feel that spirits who weren't too nice in this life can sometimes come back to help us, trying to make amends for how they treated us in this life.

Your grandmother could have been using the radio and her manifestation as a shadow to get your attention, then give you a birthday card that she hadn't had a chance to give you in life - either due to the timing of her death or her personality in this life. When she was still alive, she might have been so caught up in some life issue that bothered her that it utterly consumed her thoughts and made it appear that she didn't care about you. This might have been her way of telling you that she DOES care, even if she had never been able to express it. Just my thoughts.

ParaTam
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Joie,
I would think it a bit to much of a coincedince for you to have this experience in your room, see the shadow and then find the card.

It is possible that your Grand mother ment for you to locate the card, whether it was from a past Birthday or celebration is irrelevant, she wanted you to know she missed you adn would be with you when it mattered most.

Thank you for sharing your story and I look forward to hearing more!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Thank you for responding Joie. I'm sometimes a little vague myself when I write an account and that's mostly because I sometimes forget that the reader wasn't a participant as well so I have to then go back and fix that 😊.I suppose you must have asked your mum about the card, right? Sorry your memories of your grandma weren't the best ones.I'll be looking forward to your next stories. Bye for now
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Rhodes: Thank you for your comment. I couldn't be sure about the card as it was a birthday card and my birthday had passed. Though she passed away before that years birthday. It was not dated so I could see where it could have been a coincidence. Of course I did not fall right to sleep. I apologize for not explaining furthure. I do have other stories to tell and I will keep these questions in mind when writing in the future.

Whitebuffalo: I thank you as well. I do not know exactly if the card and the shadow figure went hand in hand at all. It may have just been coincidence as I said to Rhodes. My grandmother wasn't a very friendly person and actually didn't really like us too much. Or at least she acted that way. I apologize for confusing anyone! If there are any other questions or comments please, do not hesitate to post! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Hello Joie,
I have the same questions as Rhodes, and for the same reasons. I do not wish to debunk your story, or find any of it false. MY reasons for the questions are that MY mind are not clear on a few points.
Was your Grandmother a large woman? ("...as a giant shadow figure flew from one side of the wall to the othe r- exiting the house through the wall...") Do you THINK that she would want to beat a hasty retreat so as not to frighten you at the sight of her?
I ask THESE questions as I get the impression that you are connecting the Shadow person and the card from your deceased Grandmother. I am trying to SEE the connection. I would not think that your Grandmother would want to be frightening, and to see you make that connection confuses me.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-04)
Joie hi. I would, first of all like to thank you for submitting your story which I sincerely enjoyed although I need to ask you to specify something if you care. Please don't take it the wrong way since sometimes, when we write, we tend to distance ourselves from the experience itself and as a result, use a very "mild" tone when describing something of significance. But in doing so, we may, unwillingly, weaken the validity of an amazing event as the one you're describing. You had captured my attention until the last paragraph and, that is when you confused me completely. Was the card you found on the floor an old card that your grandma had sent you when still alive or was it a new one? One more question, did you sleep right away after the whole incident or do you mean it took you a while longer to calm down before you fell asleep once again?

Please, don't take this as my way of saying that I doubt your account of that night. I'm just asking some more info so that I can make a connection between the events and your feelings.

Thank you 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: