You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Our New Dorm Room

Real Ghost Stories

Our New Dorm Room

 

My roommate and I moved into our new dorm room this past year, excited that we were going to be living in a much smaller, quieter dorm from the year before. I should mention (since it will be relevant later on) that this new dorm used to be an office building, so our doors had tinted windows on the upper half (think the doors of a detective's office from old 40's films). We put up construction paper and a curtain over it for privacy and to block out light.

One weekend I was staying in our room alone because my roommate went home. It was about 11:45 pm, and I was getting ready for bed as usual. I locked the door, turned off the lights, and got into bed. Fifteen minutes later, I hadn't fallen asleep yet, and I heard our door being unlocked and opened. I felt as if someone was there in the room. I opened my eyes and sat up in bed, fully expecting to see my roommate opening the door. I was surprised to see it closed and not moving.

I got up to check the door, and it was locked just as I had left it. I opened the door, peered into the hallway, but saw no one. In our old dorm, I wouldn't have been surprised if a drunk person tried to get into our room thinking it was his/hers (because that had happened a few times), but our new dorm was always quiet and well-behaved. I just shook it off and went back to sleep.

A few days later, I was at my computer desk working on a paper while my roommate was in the shower. I heard the door knob rattle and turn like someone was trying to get in. Again, I had that feeling like someone (I thought my roomie) was standing in the doorway, so I turned around to say something to my roommate, but the door was completely closed like before. At this point I thought it was weird that this had happened to me twice. I decided not to tell my roommate about the door because I thought she would tell me I was crazy.

On Mondays and Wednesdays I had an early class at 8:00 in the morning. My roommate's first class wasn't until 11:00, so she was always asleep when I left and when I got back, usually around 9:30. About a week after the second door incident, I went to my early class at 8:00, but I did not go back to the room afterwards because I had a meeting with one of my professors. I got back to the room around 10:30, so my roommate had just woken up for her class.

She asked how my meeting went and I told her fine. Then, she asked me why I came back to the room at 9:00. I said that I hadn't been in the room since I left for my class and at 9:00 I was still in there. She replied, "Are you sure? Because I heard you unlock the door, come in, and get into bed. It woke me up and I asked you why class was out early, but when you didn't answer I just thought you were in a bad mood or something..."

My roommate wears one of those masks over her eyes at night, so when she asked that question to "me," she never actually saw me because she didn't take off the mask. I reassured her that I was definitely not in the room at all that morning. It was time to tell her about what I had heard the previous week. Neither of us knew how to explain it and were a bit freaked out at the whole situation.

Over the next few months, we continued to hear the noises from the door from time to time. Then, as we were both lying in bed one night going to sleep, I heard the door knob rattling and turning again. I opened my eyes to look at the door. I didn't see the door knob move, but I could see the curtain moving. The whole thing wasn't moving, just a part of it.

About half way up on the right hand side, there was a 2 inch area of the curtain that looked like it was being pushed in. The bottom of the curtain was perfectly still. I even got up to get a better look. I watched the curtain being pushed in and going back for about 45 minutes, and it just stopped suddenly. A week later the same exact thing happened again.

I decided to investigate the curtain and surrounding area to see what could have made it move. On the left side of the door was the wall of the closet and only a bookcase on the right - no heaters, air conditioners, or windows that could have made a breeze. I still decided to blow and wave my hand around the curtain from many angles to try to recreate what I saw before. No matter where I blew or waved my hand, I could only get the entire curtain to move.

Also, I could never get it to move in on itself, but only out and away from the door. I put my finger on the spot that I saw being moved before, and I pushed it in. I pushed it and let go a few times. It looked just like what I saw at night.

A month later it was finals week, and I was lying in bed studying a book. I was turned on my side facing the wall. My roommate was at the library. I was pretty engrossed in my book when I felt someone grab my shoulder. It sent a chill down my arm and up my neck. Since I was in my own little world, I figured that my roommate had come in without me knowing, but when I turned my head to look for her, there was no one. I could still feel my shoulder tingling from whatever I felt. I got such a weird, eerie vibe from my room that I ran to my RA's room next door.

At the end of the week we both moved out, and I still have no way of explaining what happened in that room. If something or someone was trying to get our attention, it did just that!

Other hauntings by scathach16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scathach16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scathach16 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Hello all, thanks so much for the comments! I truly appreciate everything you've said.

Rstahley, my roommate was never touched. I'm starting to wonder the same things you are, and I hope that with my future stories, more things will become clear.

So far my research has gotten me nowhere. Maybe when I get back to school, I will be able to look into the history more.

Thanks again!

😊 ❤
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
Since everyone has pretty much said it all, I'll just say that I'm sure you were spooked and I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing. ❤ Jasmin
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Did your roommate ever get "touched" by the spirit in the dorm? I ask, because you say that you have had other paranormal activity happen, and maybe you have some sort of gift or personality that draws spirits to you, and maybe that's why other people in the dorm heard things, but not as often as you did.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Well,you should think twice before going into a building next time,scathach16.You should be glad that you left that horrible, or maybe some ghost messing around.

The curtain moving theory was a little bit familiar. A ghost moving it should have repeated it daily. If you get the chance of going back into that building, try talking to it.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hello scathach16. After reading your story and all the comments, I have to say that I agree with them all. While I do believe that you had an intelligent haunting, about half of what you experienced could have rational explanations. The sound door knobs rattling and doors being unlocked could very well be sound traveling-this can happen when the atmospheric conditions are right. I use to live in a apartment building in Oak Ridge, Tn. That use to be a dormitory during the Manhattan Project in WWII and sound traveled in that building all the time, as well as drunks trying to get in the wrong apartments.
You being touched and your roommate's experience no doubt was an intelligent "haunt" trying to make contact or seeking acknowledgment. Too many times when we have a "paranormal experience " we try to tie every "bump in the night" to that experience-when in fact many of the bumps are just that, ordinary bumps.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting. I am looking forward to your future stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Sorry Ryo but I have to pull you up here dude. I checked into your comment and the ghost you are describing is a form of vampire from indo/malay folklore. This case to me looks like a probable residual haunt and I honestly cannot see the connection you appear to have drawn.

Scathach16 I think there's a few things you need to keep in mind. I know my dorm is busy at all hours. People scurrying around out in the hall or hanging under my window at 3am; its all par for the course. There are many alternative possibilities for the activity you are describing.

Bear in mind how many people have lived where you live. There is a lot of stuff left behind. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous.
Ryo (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Hello! I just want to said that, In my country that kind of ghost is called Kuntilanak, you must beware of 'em,, maybe they still following you...
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
Wow, I am getting the chills reading this story. It is very creepy. I don't think I would of stayed there alone ever again after that first incidence you had with the door unlocking.
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
That was a very intresting story. It sounds as if the spirit doesn't know the situation and could have maybe been agravated by the change from the office to the dorms. However all should be well again when they change it back but still learning about the history would be intresting to hear about. I will be looking out for your stories and updates on here.

Thanks for sharing a great story and good luck in your studies.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Thank you for a very interesting encounter scathach! I enjoyed reading it.

I too believe it was an intelligent haunt since it made direct contact with you-it touched you but I don't think you were dealing with a negative energy. Obviously your room was its space too in the past and one he/she was attouched to which explains why the noises and the presence were there so very often.

I wish you learn as much as possible about the history of the dorm and the office before it and get back to us.

Thanks
scathach16 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Hi Bellisma. Yes that is correct. They fixed the page so that it now includes the beginning of the story. I agree that I never felt threatened by whatever was in my room. I wouldn't say that things returned to "normal" for me, but that is only because I have had many other paranormal experiences both before and after living in that room. As for my roommate, I believe things have returned to normal for her.

Francois, I too think it was an intelligent haunting of some kind, since it seemed to know that my roommate and I were there. Unfortunately, I will probably be unable to return to the building to perform a blessing because it is being transformed back into its original use as an office. Maybe I will have to pay a visit to that office at some point this school year, just to get a feel for the place again.

I will keep researching the building, and if I find anything, I will make sure to post updates.

Thanks so much for your comments, all!
😁 ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi scathach. When I first read your story it began with you and your room-mate moving into the dorm this past year, is that the beginning? It made perfect sense to me. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences.I'm also looking forward to any information you may have found out since writing, I'd love to find out some of the history. I can imagine things would have certainly been quite scary but it doesn't sound like there was anything threatening going on.That's a good thing. After you left there did things return to normal for both of you? I hope that was the case. Thanks for sharing your story, I'm looking forward to any up-dates you might have.
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Dear scathach16,

I believe you are suffering an from intelligent haunting, apparitions and things moving are usually common place among those types of haunting. It could be dangerous and I advise you to bless the room while your peers are away as not to attract attention.

However, the spirit could want attention and was just trying to make sure you were aware of its presence. Some ghosts are not aware that they are dead and are confused as to their present situation.

I wish to know more about the building and when you have gained more information, I wish to be informed of the building's history as to help with your dorm's situation and to "diagnose" whether you have a malevolent entity or a benevolent entity. An excellent story and certainly wish to read more about your experiences 😁

Thank you for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois 😁
scathach16 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
And just a by the way for everyone reading... The first three paragraphs of my story are not on the page, so if when you read it you thought it started strangely, that is why. Anyway, I emailed the webmaster about it, so maybe the paragraphs will be added shortly. Thanks!

😊 ❤
scathach16 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hello KimSouthO,

All I know about the building is that it was built sometime in the 1940's to be used as an office building. It was converted into a dormitory when the student population outgrew the available rooms about 5 years ago. My RA was worried because she saw how upset I was, but she didn't really know what to do about it. A few other girls in my hall talked about sometimes hearing noises like someone was in a room when there wasn't anyone, but nothing as frequent as in our room.

I'd really like to find out more about the history of the building, but so far I have come up empty handed. If I find anything interesting, I will post an update!

😁 ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Sounds as if you are right, some thing in there wanted to be sure you knew it was there.

Do you have any history on the room and/or the building? What was your RA's reaction? Had anything else been reported?

Thanks for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: