You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: The Period Of My Life I Simply Refer To As Ouija Obsessed

Real Ghost Stories

The Period Of My Life I Simply Refer To As Ouija Obsessed

 

Let me preface this story by saying that I am aware of the dangers of the Ouija board and I wish that I had never "played with it" in the first place. If I could turn back time and do it all over again, I would not even be in the same room as one of those things. I was, however, a teenager with no real knowledge of the dangers that using the board could present. I have a strong theory that although I stopped using it 13 years ago when I left home to go to college, that I am still paying for my mistake.

I began using the Ouija board when I was 13 years old with different groups of unrelated friends. I was always very skeptical, to the point of ignorance, regarding the ability of some "toy store game" having the ability to make real contact with the spirit world. Now mind you, I was very well aware of the spirit world, as I have been sensitive for as long as I can remember. I did not, however have any respect for the Ouija board and treated it as a game from the beginning. I eventually realized, a bit too late I am afraid, that what I was doing was the furthest thing imaginable from "playing a game."

The first few months when we would sit around and play, we would have different spirits communicate with us through the board that would be cheerful and would answer all of the usual questions (What is your name? When did you die? Where did you go after you died?). I didn't even think that we were contacting anyone. I was sure that one of the others in the group was pushing the planchette purposely or that it was the result of what skeptics called the ieomotor effect wherein participants move the planchette subconsciously.

As time went on, I would using the board more often, eventually escalating to the point of using it 4 to 5 days a week for hours a day. Nothing very disturbing would happen at first, but eventually, things gradually started to get darker and personally, my ability to sense entities seemed to be increasing. Forgive me if this gets a bit boring or voluminous, but I will do my best to sum up my experiences without having to write a book.

As I said, in the beginning we would get the transient spirits passing through and speaking to us for a short time. Eventually, a spirit that identified himself as Sam made his presence known and things started to become darker. He was not the jovial type that we had encountered in the past. He said he was in Hell and that he was going to take us all with him. I laughed being the skeptic that I was, but further into the conversation, I started to feel an evil presence in the room. So much so that I ended the conversation by forcing the planchette over "Goodbye" as he wouldn't leave willingly.

From that time on when we would use the board in that house, weird things would start to happen. The computer in Kathy's room would turn on by itself when we were sitting 10 feet away from it. Things in other rooms would fall inexplicably. Doors to rooms would slam shut by themselves, then open again. Everything except for the computer could be potentially explained off by wind blowing through the apartment. I had no knowledge of how to debunk these things at this time so I don't remember checking the windows to see if they were shut tight. However, I was sure what was causing it because I felt the presence in the house.

One notable encounter I had was with a spirit who identified herself as Anna. She seemed harmless enough, but she... Changed. She was a recurring spirit that would show up every time we used the board. She said she wanted to "be with me," whatever that meant. Then she started saying things that made no sense to me. Kathy asked why she wanted to be with me and she replied "K-I-N-G." So naturally, I asked her what she meant. She then said "H-E-L-L." Kathy laughed and said, "Oh maybe you are going to be the ruler of Hell when you die." The planchette moved to "Yes." Needless to say, I was freaked out at this point and while I know that couldn't be true, it shook me noticeably. Anna then said that I was hers and that she would stay with me forever. She threatened to harm Kathy if she was ever around me and tried to encourage me to use the board alone (which I never did). At this point, we both freaked out and we ended the session. Kathy stopped playing after that. I however did not. As I said, I became obsessed.

I started using another board at another friend's house. The first time we used it, it was the usual "harmless" conversation with "friendly" spirits. Then in the middle of the session, I felt a presence. I looked down the long dark hallway towards the front door and I saw a physical spirit. I wasn't afraid which was odd to me because it was the first time I had ever seen an entity instead of feeling it. I was mesmerized and staring off to my right watching a woman who seemed to be floating inches off the ground. My friend Veronica had been calling me and I didn't even hear her. She tapped me and said, "You can see her? She said that you two were looking at each other. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say and I just shook it off and we continued using the board and in comes Anna.

Now Kathy and my friend do not know each other. At first, I figured it could be a coincidence. It could be a duplicate name, but it was Anna. She asked if I remembered her. She called me her "King." She reminded me that she would always be with me. This coupled with seeing the woman by the front door was too much for me to handle. I wouldn't even go towards the front door. I went into her backyard, hopped the fence and headed home. I felt like I was followed the entire way.

Fast forward to today... I have always felt a singular, or multiple entitles everywhere I have lived. The last move I made just over a year ago, I did not feel any presences in my house for the first time in over a decade. About four months later, that all changed. Anna showed up. I don't really know how to explain that I know it is her, but the best way I can describe it is that she gives off a specific "signature" in the same way that all other spirits do.

She is not alone now either. There are other entities in my house as well. I have a feeling that I will always attract them for whatever reason.

Other hauntings by Jackets

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jackets, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

luci_aka_me (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
well I think your strength are your children placing photos of them around your house will give you extra eyes to watch over you as well as friends and family and maybe go and see a healer to help you get rid of Anna
SupernaturalWaffle (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-28)
This is not good. If what Anna said really is going to happen you must change it quickly. Wear a cat's eye necklace or a moonstone on your neck. Just never talk to her. Ever. 😨 😐
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
I wish I would have seen your comment before this weekend. 😊 While the weekend was not filled with the past feeling of dread and malicious intent, things were definitely more active than they have been. I caught multiple glimpses of... Something. The good part is that it did not disturb me or make me feel threatened in my own home. I guess it is time to cleanse the bowl and start over again.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
I was just wondering if you gave it a try, and how the weekend went?
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
Good, good.
May I suggest that you empty the contents, cleanse the bowl and "refill" it for the weekend?
In the times that we are most quiet, THAT is when we find out what we are truly made of.
Thank you. 😉
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
Whitebuffalo,

I tried your suggested remedy and it seems to have calmed things down in the house. The real test will be this weekend as my kids are visiting their uncle out of town and I will be alone in the house. Whether it be paranoia, more activity or a mixture of both, they always seems most active when I am alone and have no one to turn to. When it comes to my children, my paternal protection instinct kicks in and I have no fear. However that is not exactly the case when it is just me that I have to worry about.
dreamcatcher22 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I enjoyed reading your story and it made me think of one I heard when I was little, my great aunt beacame addicted to the ouija board in the early 80's, she beacame so bad she quit her job, withdrew from her familiy completely and just "played" all the time until one time she was at my grandmas house and was playing with it when someone made a joke about the board, right after the comment was made the pointer flew off the board and wedged under a picture of Jesus on the wall but did not break. My aunt got real scared at that point that she took it outside and burnt it in a barrel. (In Tennessee in the early 80's most small towns burnt thier trash) and she heard screaming coming out of the barrel. Strange things kept happening and she was scared and made a ouija board, and it told her they were mad, and then nothing else was "said". Within six months her husband died of a heart attack and her daughter had a fatal car accident.
jrod (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-29)
Jackets, thanks so much for your story. I too had a similar experience when I was around your age (how weird is that?) From a very early age I have had visions and have been visited by my Father's spirit when I was about 5 or 6. I became addicted to the Ouija board and played almost everyday for hours with my neighbor Jenny after school. Jenny was older than me (I was about 14 and Jenny was 16 or 17.) At first nice spirits came to the board to chat. There was one named Consuelo and she was a sweetheart. In the beginning I thought Jenny was pushing it and I didn't really believe, but then she swore up and down that she wasn't. I must divulge that Jenny and her older sister Rosemary were into Santeria, so Jenny always had something about her and really believed. One day a spirit named Warlock came to the board and he was an angry spirit. He started coming everyday after that. We didn't like speaking with him and would ask him to leave. He started lying to us and telling us it wasn't him and then he would tell the truth and say it was him. One day he told Jenny her baby was going to die (I know she was young, but had a baby). Guess what? The baby died a few days later. The cause of death was crib death. May God rest his soul. After that I broke the board in half and I never played with the Ouija board again nor will I. In reference to the spirit (s) that are following you, I would tell her to leave in the name of Jesus. This usually works and I would suggest developing a faith in God as you understand him and begin a relationship with him through prayer. I thank you for your story and wish you all the best. God bless...
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
I think I could be swayed with a tropical paradise, as well, Jackets. But for SOME people, the lure of being King of an entire Underworld would cause them to be a bit less than (shall we say) smart. Not everyone uses the logical side of their brains when tempted. Temptation is a tricky thing. It is personal. NOT all people are tempted with the same things. It appeared TO ME, that she was tempting you with the POWER.
Let me offer you a suggestion, please.
I would suggest you finding an earthen bowl (ah, what the heck, you could use any type of bowl, as long as it is "cleansed"), put a handful of the soil outside of your house into the bowl, a pinch (give or take a few grains) of sea salt and a few drops of pure water. Mix it up lightly (you are not making a mud pie, there is no "consistency" to this) and place it high on a shelf, or someplace that it will not be disturbed in your home.
Forget about it.
When tensions get high, or you feel the negativity seeping back in, simply discard the mixture.
Start over.
Make sure to cleanse the bowl with the pure water, though. And let it air dry. DO NOT towel dry it (towels are "blemished".)
If you try this, let me know how it goes. I think you may see a difference in short time.
Thank you.
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thank you for your comment Hoochler. I will look into your suggestions and try what I am most comfortable with. I don't know much about ridding myself of spirits, but I know that being unexperienced and doing things incorrectly seems to have the opposite effect and worsens the situation. That is something that I definitely want to avoid.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Jackets,

I also had a bad experience with a Ouija board years ago and had a "friend" hanging around thereafter. I got rid of that spirit within months though, not years. I think obsessing spirits that are not dealt with tend to get stronger over time (they establish a stronger bond with their obsesee the longer they are allowed to interact with them).

You should really do something about Anna. I think getting rid of her would also help quell the other experiences you explained in your Night Terrors post too. My Ouija board fiasco occurred before the days of the internet (can children of today even imagine such a dark time in human history?) so I did not know anything about smudge ceremonies (to be honest, I still don't, hehe). I do not discount smudging, I just have never done it.

I did manage to get rid of my spirit through directly attacking it, you can read my story on this site for specifics. Also, since this comes up so often, I have information in my profile how you can harden your defenses against these spirits as well as other info on how to urge them to move on.

Whatever the method, I urge you to actively work at getting rid of these spirits. Good luck.

Hoochler
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thank you for all of your comments.

Tonith, I am all for the debunking of experiences. Not all that seems paranormal is and vice versa.

Whitebuffalo, she definitely hasn't lured me with the suggestion of being king of Hell. Maybe if she would have made me king of some tropical paradise I would have been more easily swayed. But Hell is something I want to avoid at all costs. However you are right, she was very well versed in the arts of persuasion, delusion and terror. She has been difficult to deal with.

Rhodes68, no worries about me taking the Ouija board lightly. You are right. Part of the reason I wrote this was to warn others that this is not a game.

Ghostseer, thank you for your comments. I am not well versed in the art of how to rid myself of the negative energies although I am aware of rituals such as smudgings. I will definitely be in contact if things get out of hand...
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Interesting story!. Wow, I think you now realize the serious nature and power of the paranormal. Be very careful in the future, and clear yourself of any negative "things" that may be attached to you. Let me know if you need any help, I can give you a few tips. Thanks for sharing your tale. Blessings, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
That was an intriguing account and very well written!

I guess explaining the dangers of using the Board would not be necessary as you have very well explained that-besides, that's one of the purposes of this story so... Thank you for sharing Jackets!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Just goes to prove that you should not judge a book by it's cover, or appearances are not everything.
Ah, the illusion of power. She was a very well versed in the art of persuasion, and delusion, was she not? I SHOULD say, "IS she not?"
With the addition of these added individuals, I should say it is time to send HER packing. WITH all of her groupies. You MAY always attract entities, but you DO NOT want negative ones around you. SHE would not be an asset to you, SHE would be detrimental. SHE COULD help you "lose your direction" in life.
She IS trying to "pull you in" with the ILLUSION of gaining "it all". To be KING! WOW! What a power trip. Do not fall for it. Do not let her think she is winning.
Let her go.
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
This senario always seems to be the same when it comes to teens and ouija boards. Kids use them then get freaked out when their own subconscious starts getting weird. Now not saying that you are not sensitive but I'm not sure it really has anything to do this Anna. Kids at that age have so much repressive sexual energy and are just discovering their own sexuality that I believe what you experienced was not of the spirit world but no doubt in your own subconscience. As an adult you still hold the same memories of this traumatic experience. This could also be a reason you think it's Anna once again. It's a gift to be sensitive. Use it wisely. Don't assume. Research and debunk whenever possible. The paranormal is being taken seriously and studied scientifically which I think its wonderful. No longer are people being ridiculed because now we have the technology to get hard evidence. We no longer have to rely on just feelings or personal encounters that have no scientific back up. The times they are a changin'.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: