You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: See Through Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

See Through Ghost

 

My ghostly incident happened nine or ten years ago on a hilltop in West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, UK. The area has belonged to Lord Dashwood's family and the National Trust in the UK for many years and there is much written about the area on the internet as it is of historical interest.

Although the following paragraph has no direct significance with my story I want to set the scene of the area as it might be relevant. The area has some ghostly significance as it has the Dashwood family mausoleum and family church on the hilltop, along with a small cemetery. At the bottom of the hill, there are man made caves which were dug in approximately the 17th century and these caves go right into the heart of the hill. Part of a Hammer Horror film 'To The Devil a Daughter' was filmed on the hill top years ago. The area is certainly a perfect spot to get scared in when it is dark and misty.

I was walking one of my two Dobermans on a beautiful sunny afternoon. I think it must have been a week day that I had taken off work as there was no one around and usually there are many people walking their dogs or families with kids taking in the views. I walk my dogs there almost every day.

My dog was typically off the lead and was probably about 60-70 metres away from me. He was looking towards the cemetery area (which had trees in front of it) and started growling. I couldn't see anything, so assumed he might have been growling at rabbit or something small. Typically though he would chase rabbits, not growl at them, so I thought it was a bit odd.

I ignored him for a bit and kept walking slowly just enjoying the beautiful outdoors but he kept growling and was stood in the same spot staring towards where the cemetery was. I called him a couple of times but he was fixated on growling at something.

When I looked further at where he was looking I saw, what I can only describe as a human shape, like an outline, but which was see through. It was like I could see the leaves/trees through it. It was about the same distance from dog as I was from the dog, so about 120 metres from me.

I stared in disbelief and tried to work out what on earth it could be. I checked where the sun was in the sky incase that might have caused a weird reflection on the hill top and tried to make excuses for all sorts of things that sound ridiculous now, but whatever it was, was right there.

I was rather freaked out and started walking faster. As I did the 'thing' walked the opposite way to which I had walked. I stopped, it stopped. I did this again and it did the same (walking the opposite way that I was walking). I repeated it a couple of times by which time I got very freaked out and ran to my car on the hill top, without looking back.

Whilst I had been doing this my dog was pretty much stood in the same position looking at whatever it was. As soon as I started to run my dog ran over to me and we both ran back to the car. I drove away from the hill top scared.

I continue to walk my dogs there but tend to go there with friends and never at night after having seen what I had seen that day.

I have tried to make sense out of what I had seen but I have no explanation. It was a gorgeous day. There was no one else around. A few years later I watched one of the 'Predator' movies and said to my friend who knew of my incident on the hill top, that the Predator's 'see through camouflage image' reminded me of what I had seen on the hill (except that what I had seen was an outline of a human shape).

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JoannaS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeeZee4u (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Had this similar sighting happen to me, twice so far. I live a half a block away from a cemetery. Not sure if that could be a reason or because of the location of my home. Late on Sunday afternoon, I was outside in my back yard talking to my son and watching my grand kids play on patio. I turned toward hear some bustling around the leaves on the backyard dirt and tree. I saw a silhouette of a see through shape of a little girl probably the size of an 8 yer old. So weird to see it, I can only describe it as a see through clear water dimensional where you can see the image of walking image. Also, just recently I seen a translucent image of a man peeking behind my hallway entrance doorway. He just was staring at me this creepy clown smile and some huge eyes with a wavy looking hairstyle. When I mentioned this to my husband, he said I just described his late uncle.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Welcome. I enjoyed this greatly. Thank you for sharing. Like other posters, my initial response is to wonder about a possible reflection. Is there anyway, your silhouette might have been cast by surfaces on the chapel? Do you know anyone who frequents the spot with whom you can confide? They might have observed something similar. On a less important matter, do you know why the caves were created? Thanks.
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
My first thought would be, could one of the mausoleum's or the church have something that could have reflected your image back?...But if that were the case, wouldn't it have reflected your dogs image too?...If you could see legs on the image, then the thing causing the reflection would have definetely been low enough to pick up your dogs image.

I've personally never heard of a spirit mimicking someone's actions, but whose to say they don't. They can be jokester's too! 😁
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
What makes me think it was a mundane (not supernatural) thing was that it walked the opposite direction you did, stopped when you did, started when you did. Mirror or reflection like behavior. Are you sure there was nothing there that may have played as a refractive surface? This doesn't explain the dog's distress, but the actions of this "ghost" sound an awful lot a refractive light trick the sunny day may have been pulling on you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
You may have seen a shadow person. I would think if you saw something like that during the day it would have that transparent look about it, while, had you seen it at night it would have looked more solid. Is a shadow person a ghost who can not gather enough energy to fully manifest? I don't know but I'm sure it was unnerving. I had an experience with shadow people who looked very human but darker than the darkness around them. Tricks of the eyes? I don't know but I have never had it happen to me since and that was 40 years ago. Something like that stays with you and I'm sure this incident will stay with you too. Forty years later I'm still not sure what I witnessed but the odd part is I remember it in total detail.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Hi and welcome to YGS.

I really enjoyed reading your story. I have family in High Wycombe. I remember driving up there, it is beautiful. There was a long road narrow road we had to drive through surrounded by only trees. I remember thinking I would never wnat to be stranded here especially at night. I had such an uneasy feeling. Nevertheless it is a beautiful part of the UK.
theghosthunter (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Hi nice story, I'd be scared too if I seen that, it reminds me of one night years back I had a bad dream In the dream I was in my room when I went into my mothers room I seen what looked like the preditor's image but of a human looking out the window and it turned and walked towards me, when I got to the landing I fell over backwards and down the stairs looking up winded not able to breath trying to call my mother but nothing coming out seen the same shape look over the stairs at me, I woke up my heart pounding that wasn't a nice dream, so to see that in real life would scare the crap out of me lol

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: