You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Terror In The Breezeway

Real Ghost Stories

Terror In The Breezeway

 

While trying to locate the site of an old township in the area that was founded back in the 1800s, we came upon this road called Sycamore Church Rd which really takes you out in the middle of nowhere it seems. There's even an old tiny one room church located on the road that has a total of ten pews at the most: three rows on each side, a short pew in front of the rows on each side and then a pew on each side at the front of the room. The church is a bit spooky at night, but so far we haven't experienced anything there the couple of times we've investigated. A little bit further down the road, there is an old railroad bridge that you travel under and you continue on a narrow paved road. The first time we went down this road and got to that bridge, I was driving and I remember stopping the car maybe 15 feet from the bridge and sitting there looking at it and thinking, "What the Hell is looking at me?" The sensation of being watched just from around the other side of the bridge was absolutely overwhelming and I refused to go past that point. Since then I've been past that point on several occasions and the road in itself is creepy. To make this part of the long story short, I've heard and seen stuff on this road, along with sensing even more stuff.

Mine and Brian's (my boyfriend) original Paranormal Research Team took a drive out on Sycamore Church Rd past the railroad bridge one night last fall. There's a gravel round-about by a hiking trail further on down that road that we pulled into to sit for a while and just observe. One of the team members swore they say a figure standing against one of the hiking signs ahead of the car, but I happened to be looking elsewhere at that point. Since then I have seen several shadow figures during different visits. However, the sensations of being watched were rather overwhelming and after a while we decided it was best that we left the area and headed home. The moment we pulled out of the round-about and started driving, I started to get an awful feeling that we were being followed... It can almost be described as a heavy feeling against the back of you I suppose, but unless you've experienced something as such, the feeling is very hard to describe. The entire time we were driving off that road, I couldn't for the life of me keep myself from continuously looking behind us and in my mind I kept imagining some sort of figure chasing after us quickly. It was disturbing to say the least and even more disturbing was how it felt like it took FOREVER to get back off that road, a lot longer than it should have and a lot longer than it took for us to travel down it upon arriving.

Fast forward ahead a while and we all made it back to the apartments. Now a little tad bit of important information: our neighbors, who were team members at that time, were babysitting their friend's kitten. This kitten was about as rambunctious as a kitten could be, but all that had to happen to calm it down was for someone to cuddle it and before you knew it, the thing was dead asleep in your arms. So one of our neighbors went across the breezeway into their apartment to go get the kitten and when they brought it over, the thing was going schizo on everyone and everything. Each of us tried holding it to calm it down, but to no avail. The first thing I blurted was, "I honestly think something followed us home tonight and it is either sensing it or seeing it." It was the only explanation that seemed plausible in my mind because I still felt as if something had followed us home from that road and was lingering and animals are known to be extra sensitive to the paranormal.

Later that night after everyone had left, Brian was sleeping on the couch, and I finished doing some paranormal research online, I decided to step out for one last cigarette before heading to bed. This took place between 4:30am and 6:30am...I honestly don't remember the time. After stepping outside, I lit my cigarette, took a seat on the edge of the top step and hadn't even been out there for a full minute when a strong sensation pulled my attention over towards the playground that was off to my right. I sat there staring at that playground for a good minute after because I couldn't ignore the sensation of being watched even though I couldn't see anyone. Then my attention was sharply pulled to the opposite end of the breezeway off to my left. That's when I started to feel like something was at the bottom of those stairs and I heard something begin to creep upward. Naturally I stood up so if it was an animal I wouldn't be caught off guard and as I looked around the corner down the breeze way I didn't see any shadow of any animal creeping up the wall. I didn't see anything at all but I still heard something coming up the stairs. So becoming more uneasy, I inched closer to my door and continued to look around the corner.

Whatever it was paused, then all of a sudden bolted up the steps. I screamed, threw the door open, screamed again as I ran inside, and slammed the door shut. I've been scared before in my life, but not once have I EVER felt so terrified and threatened. I literally felt like my life was in danger. I managed to go up to the door for a brief second and look through the peep hole, but I got a mental image in my head of something pacing outside my door, so I quickly backed away. By then I was hyperventilating to the point where I couldn't have started breathing normally even if I wanted to, my heart was beating so hard it hurt, I was shaking so bad, and I started crying (shamefully admits that last part). Not because I'm some chicken, cause really I'm not, but feeling so unsafe in my own home because I felt like I was being stalked outside my door by something I couldn't physically see was indescribable. I literally did not stop pacing and sit down for a good thirty minutes after that happened and I refused to go to sleep until the sun had already risen.

Now I suppose one could argue that it really was just some normal animal that had freaked me out, but I'd like to pose the argument against that with this explanation: The neighbor behind us at that time at the opposite end of the breeze way had a black lab puppy who was about 6 months old by the name of Bear. Sweetest dog ever and the boy is fast I tell you. I've had that thing sprint to me as fast as it can, but whatever the unseen thing that damn near attacked me outside my apartment was a hundred times faster than Bear and I wasn't about to stick around long enough to find out what it was. I haven't had anything as horrible happen to me since that night, but mentally I'm a bit scarred from that occurrence and it still creeps me out just thinking about it.

Other hauntings by CJ

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CJ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CherokeeRose527 (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-14)
Hi. Late to the conversation... Just wanted to offer my sympathies. I've had this happen to me before and it is the WORST feeling in the world! If you haven't experienced it, please don't try to justify it. It is truly an experience of pure absolute raw terror that you literally cannot comprehend unless you've experienced it for yourself. I've had animals surprise attack me before at night after feeling as though I was being watched (which apparently I was; thankfully I wasn't harmed) but it doesn't even come close to the terror you feel when a violent entity tries to attack you. You can feel it and "see" it while not seeing anything at all. Like I said, it's terror like you wouldn't believe. I'm glad nothing like that has happened since this incident (as far as I can read to tell)
Beliver-101 (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-02)
Wow.Somewhat same thing happened to me in the forest. It didn't chase me though. I was walking a little near sunset, and I could have SWORE someone was watching ME. I was with some others, they all said that they kept having to look at me cause they felt something was wrong. A image did pop into my head, it was a shadow. No details,just an arched shadow. I won't ever go there again.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-10)
I don't think it was to to attck to. Maybe just trying to scare because it knew it could I just.
GIRLIE 😳 ❤ *HAVE A NICE HAUNT*
robertar (223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
i'm not super familiar with spirits but I'm pretty sure that is how they communicate, pushing images into your mind.

Of course I can not say for sure, but it seems you might have brought something home with you, or gave it an open door to bug you.

I doubt it would have actually physically harmed you. Not because they don't want to, but because it is against the rules. I think they just like to terrorize. Until they can find some other means to harm you.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
BabyK,

I don't have a problem going outside at night and that experience didn't change that. I just always make sure to keep my senses more fined tuned.

As for getting a priest or other religious figure to bless me and the apartment... I have recently moved out of that apartment because our lease was up and like I said, nothing as extreme has happened since that night. I never felt threatened again, so I never thought about the need to get the place blessed.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
tkkchang,

I gotta be honest and say that it certainly didn't feel like being in a movie. More like it felt like being in a nightmare, because I literally felt like I was trapped inside my own apartment.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
pandora0791,

Well, yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I looked through the peephole. I never phsyically saw something when I looked, but I got/received a mental image of something pacing back and forth outside my door. I almost want to say creature-like, but I'm not sure. Hell hound popped into my mind, but again, I'm not sure. And of course, that could be chalked up to my imagination because of the anxiety of the occurrence, but, the image came so quickly, that I didn't care one way or the other whether it was my imagination creating the image or not.

And I did try to wake Brian up, but he tends to be a deep sleeper sometimes and my patience had run thin.
Ibid (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
Likewise shall be the encounter one'll have with the embodiment of all one's bad deeds on a day when none will avail another. You seem to have good gut instinct. Follow it otherwise such things will follow you.
BabyK (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
wow that is really really scary!
I would never go outside at night again if it were me!
And I know how you feel, I have had experiences like that, and the feeling you get is so indescribable... 😨
But great story by the way.
Im not sure how I could help you tho.
Maybe get a priest or someone to bless you and the house and maybe get someone to check things out for you so someone doesn't get hurt
tkkchang (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
Wow...That was freaky. I hope I never experience any thing like that. You had me at the edge of my seat. It almost sounds like a movie.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. 😨
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
GREAT STORY! (straight to the list)

You had me on the edge of my seat, constantly looking behind me, the entire read. I watch way too many Horror movies and I too could not have looked through the peep-hole. I envisioned either a creepy face directly up to it OR something poking through it into an eye, lol.

I think I took but maybe one breath the entire time, well written, thanks for the scare:) Now, where is my Xanax, hmmmmm?

...and I truly hope you never go through something like that again, it had to have been the worst! I would have definitely had to wake my boyfriend had I been you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: