You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Not Quite The Shinning

Real Ghost Stories

Not Quite The Shinning

 

This happened while I was visiting Washington D.C. With my parents for a few days.

On our first night there, we checked into our hotel, a Hilton on Connecticut Avenue. Our room was on the fifth floor and seemed nice enough. I was sharing it with my parents, them on the double bed on the left and me on the right. The bathroom was rather small, and I had this huge toiletries bag that I put on the counter, wedged at the back against the mirror. We went to bed early, exhausted by the trip (we'd flown in from Canada), but for once, I had great trouble falling asleep. I finally dozed off only to be awake very suddenly a short while after. I had been having a very disturbing dream (at least, I think it was a dream, but I'm not sure) where something had been shaking my bed before grabbing my arm, trying to pull me up, while I was trying to call my mother and not managing to make a sound. When I woke up, I looked over to my parent's bed and saw my mom staring at the digital clock (the only source of light) with an angry expression on her face. I closed my eyes, resolving to go back to sleep, before remembering that my mom slept on the left side of the bed, and this figure was on the right. I opened my eyes again and looked, only to see the same thing, an androgynous looking person with a pointed face, short dark hair and a turtleneck, staring angrily at the clock, face resting on fists, most certainly neither of my parents. Terrified, I closed my eyes. This was followed by footsteps that went all the way from my parent's bed to the bathroom and a loud bang, then silence. I immediately grabbed my iPod and, I am happy to say, music eventually managed to put me back to sleep.

When I got up the next morning, I couldn't find my toiletries bag and looked everywhere, finally finding it under the counter, wedged against the back wall. My parents both swear they didn't touch it, and anyway, I was up before either of them. It somehow managed to fly over all the other stuff lying on the counter, fall to the floor and crawl its way to the wall. I assume that was the bang I heard shortly after seeing the apparition.

My parents both say they didn't see anything, but they admitted having slept fitfully and being uncomfortable in the room. Thankfully, we changed hotels that day, and for the rest of the trip, things were smooth and ghost-free.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Johanna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
I'm thinking of a poltegeist or a spirit who doesn't like people... Good thing you did not stay there for another night. Who knows what IT could do to you. God Bless
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-22)
Hm...it sounds like a possible residual haunting coupled with a poltergeist. Quite an extraordinary experience! You were right to grab your iPod. I've heard that negative entities generally don't like music because it uplifts the spirit.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: