You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Following Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

My Following Ghost

 

I grew up in Amityville, New York in a house where my family had lived since it was built. Before turning 12, my father told us we were moving to FL. My biggest fear was moving into a "haunted" house.

We moved into a house which was basically a dream home in my eyes based on where I grew up. Everything seemed perfect until a few months after moving in. My mother would stay up late after everyone was asleep and clean the house. She would tell me how she could hear people talking in the next room but could never make out what they were saying. She assumed it was just a TV or radio that was left on, but come to find everything was off. This happened often to her, but I had never heard anything.

One day, I stayed home from school and was about to go to the store with my mom. After walking out the door, she sent me back in to get her cigarettes that she had left on the counter. As I walked in the door, I looked into the living room and saw the light cord that hangs from the ceiling fan swinging furiously in circles, to the point of it hitting the ceiling. It appeared someone had swung the cord around in a circular motion, although, no one else was in the house. I was terrified, but worked up the courage to grab the cigarettes and run out. As I grabbed the doorknob and I had this feeling that was telling me to turn around. When I did, the cord was completely still.

The last incident I had in that house happened on a normal afternoon. My siblings were outside, my mom was in the kitchen and I was looking for my dad. I asked my mom where he was and she told me to check their bedroom. Now the way my house was designed was if you stood in the kitchen doorway and looked directly in front of you, you could see into my parent's room. So as I was leaving the kitchen, I looked up and saw my dad in his room and it appeared as if he was walking from the bed into their bathroom (meaning I could only see a side profile, passing the doorway). I rushed into the room, going into the bathroom asking him a question. When he didn't answer I checked the shower, the closet and then the backdoor in the bathroom but it was locked from the inside. I felt the blood drain from my face and my body covered in chills because at that moment I knew I had seen a ghost. I ran out of that room so fast and never looked back.

We soon moved out of that house and in the next house there were similar experiences, but minor. Such as seeing a ball fly across the room out of the corner of your eye or hearing whispers in the quiet of the night. I would just blow it off as if it never happened.

The next house I lived in, there were no experiences. But the house after, my family came across more audible experiences such as a man yelling in the middle of the night. It didn't happen often but it was scary when it did occur.

I never understood why we kept moving into "haunted" houses. Then one day my mom mentioned something that I took into consideration. When we had just moved to FL, I was playing in a park called Amity Trails with my siblings and I ran off the trail and stumbled on a dead body. My mom suggested that maybe the man I found in the woods was the ghost following me from house to house because the experiences only started after that incident.

Today, 3years later, I do not experience anything like I used too and I'm very happy about that. I wish I did have a definite explanation on why this had happened to me but I have learned to just leave it in the past. Everything happens for a reason.

Other hauntings by gabrielle0624

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gabrielle0624, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
gabrielle0624 I agree with what cosmogal mentioned that would have been horrific coming across a dead body like that. Your mum could be right, maybe it wasn't the houses that where haunted maybe something was following you. I'm glad that has moved on from you now though.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
Hi Gabrielle, Oh My Gosh! I can't even imagine coming across a dead body like you did. Especially since you were only a child. It is very possible that the spirit of the man followed you around looking for help. Your mother has a pretty good theory there. 😊 You grew up in Amityville, and were afraid of moving into a haunted house. I am completely terrified of Amityville as a town LOL The movie put such a fear in me that I don't even like to drive pass the exit on the LIE. A couple of weeks ago I had to go to a party in West Babylon and my friend was driving, we had to pick up another friend who spent the night in Amityville, I almost had a heart attack. LOL 😆 Thanks for sharing your story, and take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: